"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #947 of 979
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #948 of 979
Ok, I think i got it. Correct me if I'm wrong: we're soldering 3.5mm female connectors for Left and Right cups to get TS connection (tip and sleeve), but we can easily use the TRS 3.5 male cables, coz the connection still gonna be with only Tip and Sleeve.

Nov 29, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #949 of 979
Nov 29, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #950 of 979
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #951 of 979
Ok, I think i got it. Correct me if I'm wrong: we're soldering 3.5mm female connectors for Left and Right cups to get TS connection (tip and sleeve), but we can easily use the TRS 3.5 male cables, coz the connection still gonna be with only Tip and Sleeve.
I believe so.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #952 of 979
That's right, we had a similar discussion in one of the hifiman threads. The factory cables use TRS. All the custom cables I bought from skyaudio came with the correct 2 pole connector.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #954 of 979
Remove the paper is my opinion but it is irreversible or tricky to replicate with other materials. If you have a mk2 driver I would think twice because some people covet them so by removing the paper you are killing its value and they are hard to find now. If you have a mk3 driver check to see if yours doesnt have any quality control issues with excess glue clogging the driver damping paper as has been reported a couple times by others like myself.

Are you sure there are no gaps between driver baffle and pad rings? Look at the seams under a flashlight.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #955 of 979
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #957 of 979
Hello again! I've finally gathered my courage to start the assembly process. Almost got a heart attack when desoldering the drivers (the solder blob came off in one piece, but the pad remained intact and the impedance was 48.6 Ohm, so it was great). I've also cut the acoustic foam and lined the cups with it, but noticed that it looks like total crap. Is the stencil bad or am i putting it wrong? There's no space for 3.5 jack (which i've soldered according the instructions from you, thanks @IvanDrago , @khbaur330162 and @Longfellow78 !). Have i downloaded some wrong stencil for the foam, or is it suppose to look like this?
IMG_20221204_213825.jpg

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #958 of 979
Hello again! I've finally gathered my courage to start the assembly process. Almost got a heart attack when desoldering the drivers (the solder blob came off in one piece, but the pad remained intact and the impedance was 48.6 Ohm, so it was great). I've also cut the acoustic foam and lined the cups with it, but noticed that it looks like total crap. Is the stencil bad or am i putting it wrong? There's no space for 3.5 jack (which i've soldered according the instructions from you, thanks @IvanDrago , @khbaur330162 and @Longfellow78 !). Have i downloaded some wrong stencil for the foam, or is it suppose to look like this?

Looks good to me!

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #959 of 979
Hello again! I've finally gathered my courage to start the assembly process. Almost got a heart attack when desoldering the drivers (the solder blob came off in one piece, but the pad remained intact and the impedance was 48.6 Ohm, so it was great). I've also cut the acoustic foam and lined the cups with it, but noticed that it looks like total crap. Is the stencil bad or am i putting it wrong? There's no space for 3.5 jack (which i've soldered according the instructions from you, thanks @IvanDrago , @khbaur330162 and @Longfellow78 !). Have i downloaded some wrong stencil for the foam, or is it suppose to look like this?IMG_20221204_213825.jpg
Looks a bit uneven, plus i don't think that this stencil is edited to fit the 3.5mm jack plug. also i still need to cover the ball joint space, coz i think there's gonna be leaking from there.
Also a quesiton, if there's a loctite on the plug thread, should i also add silicon on the inner cup side, where the plug is connected?

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #960 of 979
Also a quesiton, if there's a loctite on the plug thread, should i also add silicon on the inner cup side, where the plug is connected?
Not imo. Overkill. You shouldn't hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back