"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #961 of 979
Looks a bit uneven, plus i don't think that this stencil is edited to fit the 3.5mm jack plug. also i still need to cover the ball joint space, coz i think there's gonna be leaking from there.
Also a quesiton, if there's a loctite on the plug thread, should i also add silicon on the inner cup side, where the plug is connected?
Looks good to me.
To seal the holes i´ve used some putty (Blu Tack, Patafix). Works great and can be removed easily.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #962 of 979
Looks good to me.
To seal the holes i´ve used some putty (Blu Tack, Patafix). Works great and can be removed easily.
Got it. I think I have some of it, so I'll try to seal the plug today with the putty. Also should the ball joint space be sealed with cotton wool or with putty? I know that there should be foam on top of the opening, but should there be something inside, as I'm kinda concerned about the sound leakage.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #965 of 979
If I remove the paper on the back of my Mk3 drivers, and I don't like the sound, does anyone know of an alternative to replace it to return the sound to "normal". Is there some kind of tape or way of reattaching the original paper? Mine have quite a bit of the yellow glue on them. Thanks.
If you peel it carefully you might be able to use the stock adhesive to restick the stock damping back on ez-pz. Removing stock damping should clean up the treble considerably ime. I can't imagine you'd prefer stock damping to no damping. Gl gl.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #967 of 979
Ok thanks - just one question before I remove. I assume that in the stock t50 cups, the paper was added to improve the sound? So how come it sounds better in the open alpha without the paper? Is it just personal preference, or is it because the alpha cups are a different shape or the additional damping in the cups makes the driver paper not needed. Does anyone ever remove the paper on the stock tr50rp? Anyway I think I will do it tomorrow. Thanks.
I will leave that question for others to answer. All I know is spectrogram of OA's with stock damping has very dirty treble and removing said damping cleans it up considerably. Also just going off listening impressions the treble is way less "hot" and "glary".

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #971 of 979
I recently discovered this project and have been reading through this thread, checking out everyone's awesome mods.
Not long ago, i finished my head(amame) build, another 3D printed headphone and i had a lot of fun with that, so i wanted to
do another project.

Looking through all the remixes of the original files, i combined some of the features i wanted (heat-set inserts, 3,5mm jack, adjustable bass) with some modifications
to make a single cable version of the Open Alphas.

As you can see, my finish leaves a lot to be desired, especially when compared to the mindblowing work of some users here. I might give it another attempt down the road.

Ih3JreF.jpg

7tfVLJe.jpg

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #972 of 979
I'm kinda interested trying mad dog before advancing to alphas. did dan ever revealed its recipes? :)

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #973 of 979
So, I am super late to the party lol.. Anyways been out of the headphone game for some time after the wife and me had a child (cant really use headphones with small kids)... Anyways I have since moved onto other hobbies and 3d printing was one of them (have built 3 Voron's etc).. So I looked a the files and am thinking about making some mods to the cups, m3 threaded inserts for easier removal of the baffle and working on the holes at the top to make them print a little easier.. Has any of these things already been done?

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #974 of 979
So, I am super late to the party lol.. Anyways been out of the headphone game for some time after the wife and me had a child (cant really use headphones with small kids)... Anyways I have since moved onto other hobbies and 3d printing was one of them (have built 3 Voron's etc).. So I looked a the files and am thinking about making some mods to the cups, m3 threaded inserts for easier removal of the baffle and working on the holes at the top to make them print a little easier.. Has any of these things already been done?
I've seen a few people out threaded inserts in, I'm not sure if anyone has files or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back