ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #15,271 of 16,326
Hey, isn't there some concern about using conversion plugs (2.5mm to 3.5mm) that could mess up the Onkyo? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you will get balanced sound out of the 2.5m to 3.5mm conversion adapter.
Others please weight in!!!

This question had been discussed so many times before. You can convert balanced 2.5 to balanced 3.5 but not and never ever balanced 2.5 to 3.5 SE.

Dec 12, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #15,272 of 16,326
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #15,274 of 16,326
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #15,276 of 16,326
No. I meant singleended5863. (sorry)

Here I have quoted from this link: http://www.aviom.com/blog/mediacorp-tv-theatre-in-singapore-takes-delivery-of-a360-personal-mixing-system/

Use the Right Cable for the Right Signal
It’s important to note that using a balanced cable on an unbalanced signal gives you no benefits. The jacks on the gear on both ends of the cable must be designed for balanced signals as well; otherwise there’s no circuitry to do the polarity inversion that produces the noise cancellation. On the flip side, however, using an unbalanced cable with gear that expects balanced signals will “work” (in the sense that audio will go from point A to point B), but the signal will be unbalanced and susceptible to the same noise as any unbalanced signals. Check the documentation of your gear (or the labels on the gear itself, near the jacks) to determine what type of signal a given jack is designed to support, if you’re not certain.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #15,277 of 16,326
Hey, isn't there some concern about using conversion plugs (2.5mm to 3.5mm) that could mess up the Onkyo? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you will get balanced sound out of the 2.5m to 3.5mm conversion adapter.
Others please weight in!!!
Converting a balanced to single ended output will create the risk of damage to your unit. You are effectively shorting the negatives poles together. I would only use the balanced adapter to convert to a balanced jack using the ak standard

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #15,278 of 16,326

Here I have quoted from this link: http://www.aviom.com/blog/mediacorp-tv-theatre-in-singapore-takes-delivery-of-a360-personal-mixing-system/

Use the Right Cable for the Right Signal
It’s important to note that using a balanced cable on an unbalanced signal gives you no benefits. The jacks on the gear on both ends of the cable must be designed for balanced signals as well; otherwise there’s no circuitry to do the polarity inversion that produces the noise cancellation. On the flip side, however, using an unbalanced cable with gear that expects balanced signals will “work” (in the sense that audio will go from point A to point B), but the signal will be unbalanced and susceptible to the same noise as any unbalanced signals. Check the documentation of your gear (or the labels on the gear itself, near the jacks) to determine what type of signal a given jack is designed to support, if you’re not certain.

:L3000:

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #15,279 of 16,326
Good day, all--

After the 1.8 update, did anyone else lose their External/Android Playists? All of mine are now empty despite a full sync (30+ mins) and no changes whatsoever in file paths, etc. A unusable option to 'Capture Into Internal Playlist' is more of a taunt than a feature...

Much respect~

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #15,280 of 16,326
I had fun the last few days using the DP-X1a with my Zeus XRs. The sound was a bit flat until I tried one of the featured equalizer settings: 'The Giving Tree' by Tim Lopez. The sound is very enjoyable...I realize that every DAP has it's own sound signature; there is no better, just more or less pleasing and the DP-X1a has an overall pleasing and balanced sound that I enjoy.

FWIW,
CJ

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #15,281 of 16,326
I had fun the last few days using the DP-X1a with my Zeus XRs. The sound was a bit flat until I tried one of the featured equalizer settings: 'The Giving Tree' by Tim Lopez. The sound is very enjoyable...I realize that every DAP has it's own sound signature; there is no better, just more or less pleasing for me and the DP-X1a has an overall pleasing and balanced sound.

FWIW,
CJ

Congret:L3000:

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #15,282 of 16,326
I just got one, so I'm hearing about the crappy jack, is it really that bad :frowning2: do I have to treat it like a flower, and get tweezer to unplug my headphones, is there a way to solidy it before everything goes wrong.
Can someone point me in the right direction :) thanks

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #15,283 of 16,326
I just got one, so I'm hearing about the crappy jack, is it really that bad :frowning2: do I have to treat it like a flower, and get tweezer to unplug my headphones, is there a way to solidy it before everything goes wrong.
Can someone point me in the right direction :) thanks
I don't think so. I've had mine awhile and treat it like my other DAPs. If there is a lot of wiggle in the jack area I would fill it with epoxy or something of your choice so there would be less stress on it. Mine does not have really any wiggle room its a fairly tight fit.

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #15,285 of 16,326
This question had been discussed so many times before. You can convert balanced 2.5 to balanced 3.5 but not and never ever balanced 2.5 to 3.5 SE.

Technically, you could add resistors in-series with the L- & R- outputs, to keep from shorting them directly together - providing a sort-of simulated single GND.
But, the series resistors would reduce the output power level, and driver dampening - so you're better off using the lower powered SE output of the DP-X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back