ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #15,226 of 16,326
I was planning to get DX-200 in a couple months ago but then an experienced Headfier told me not to get it because it gets unexpectedly hot when charging. He then told me to buy the A&K Kann..,
Mine does not get hot while charging, it may get a little warm, especially in Balanced out while using both DAC's and Amp circuits, but that is natural if you ask me.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #15,227 of 16,326
I haven't had any problems with the audio jacks (yet), but I decided to preemptively deal with the issue:

1.) Took some Kapton tape, and covered the top of the DP-X1
2.) Used a fine-point Exacto Knife, and cut out the tape over the gap between the jacks and the bezel
3.) Filled the gap with a gel-type glue, pushing / spreading it with a wooden toothpick
4.) Removed the tape
5.) Used the Exacto Knife to trim & remove any little blobs of glue
6.) Cleaned the bezel and surface of the jacks with an Alcohol soaked Q-Tip

Top-View - Kapton tape, after applying glue
DSC-171201-212126.jpg

Close-Up - Glue on Kapton tape
DSC-171201-212204.jpg

Top-View - after removing tape and glue blobs
(NOTE: Cleaning the tape and glue with the knife, did cause some scratches in the surface of the Gold-plated connectors.)
DSC-171201-221552.jpg

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #15,229 of 16,326
Question for those who have used different DAPs through the years - Does the Onkyo Play Music app display "List" Tag info the same way as other apps / players?
What I mean is - In JRiver MC23, I can enter multiple Artists or Composers names in a List Tag field (using a semicolon as the separator character) for a Track when I rip a CD, and when selecting any of the names in MC23, the Track is shown.
While the compound List Tag is in the Meta data for the Track, when it's transferred to the DP-X1, the Onkyo Play Music app apparently on accesses the single entry field Tag (not the List Tag), or the first name, before the semicolon in the List Tag.
If I change the semicolon to something like "\\" in the List Tag, then the Onkyo app sees all the names on the line, as one name - so they still don't show up as separately searchable Artists or Composers for the Track.

So, I guess I'm wondering if you know of a portable player app, that can read a List Tag, with multiple names in it for the Track, and be able display the Track when any of the names are selected? Thanks!

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #15,231 of 16,326
I have been reading nearly 700+ page in this threat since no one doesnt even bother to answer my question. It seems like only the first or second batch of production are have defective. Later batch around 2016 seems fine since the jack benzel got smaller and it made the jack more stable. My unit has pretty firm jack ring on both. Just dunno if it's degrade over time or it got flaws right at the moment you first using it.

I don't think you really should worry. Just be careful when you unplug as you should with any other devices, you should be fine.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #15,234 of 16,326
I have encountered a group member got his xdp-300r 2.5balanced jack break off. So I think I post the picture up for everyone to see. This is not dpx1 or dpx1a but I think it is the same as dpx1a .

The jack did not have the copper ring fall off. But it was broken at the below plastic part. I guess all DAP have similar plastic housing jack so all will break giving a big enough force.

Screenshot_20171203-160047.png

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #15,235 of 16,326
Modding the dpx1 (aka xdp-300r)

I went to visit a popular mod shop in HK. I immediately saw two dpx1 are doing a mod. So you can guess how many are modded dpx1 (xdp-300r) in HK.

I listened to a modded xdp-300r which have capacitors changed to larger capacitors. It sound more attacking (harder sound) with clearer lines of sound and more density. I listened via balanced port.

I took a picture of an unassembly PCB. It have mostly all copper shield every noisy component that can affect the sound.

IMAG3326.jpg

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #15,236 of 16,326
AddyG
Not many people believe in such treatment. Yet it dramatically reduces signal noise. Enables components to work on pure music signal. Your listening experience validates this.
Do they repair or fix jack issues so widely reported here?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #15,237 of 16,326
Wouldn't the copper foil need to be connected to the GND, to make the most effective shielding?

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #15,239 of 16,326
AddyG
Not many people believe in such treatment. Yet it dramatically reduces signal noise. Enables components to work on pure music signal. Your listening experience validates this.
Do they repair or fix jack issues so widely reported here?

There are much more mod business than Jack repair business, so that will tell the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back