ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 31, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #13,411 of 16,326
i  just dont get why a cheap player like the x3 would power big cans better than the dpx1, it doesnt make sense to me , now i  have to sell the onkyo and go and buy a cheap fiio, im fed up with messing about with this gear, trading up and down ,  and reading reviews that just dont really help, i cant have my entire collection on a player that i cant listen at high volume when i want , when i  listen to my fave tracks by autechre or echospace labelled stuff i want it to hit the spot, to kick out , and on the onkyo it just doesnt do it, its a poncey player for classical music and 'discerning gentlemen that like liberace, or katie melua etc - but all that straining to listen to subtle nuances  / timbre etc , your really missing the point , i promise you, ive listen to 10 grands worth of levinson, and a live pa gig , the gig will sound better and reach you more, i genuinely think the 'audiophile' is misled , its a placebo effect... half the time , your ears strain to justify the empty pocket...and i say this as someone who can afford the expensive stuff...

a lot of people will be heavily influenced by crap they read from audiophiles', and most want impact from music , so, though it may anger many, i have to advise , if you like your music to kick ass, have impact depth bass and scale and wow factor , the onkyo may have features , but it just doesnt do well for musical enjoyment , overall.. and you will be better off with a fiio x3 or similar..

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #13,412 of 16,326
  i  just dont get why a cheap player like the x3 would power big cans better than the dpx1, it doesnt make sense to me , now i  have to sell the onkyo and go and buy a cheap fiio, im fed up with messing about with this gear, trading up and down ,  and reading reviews that just dont really help, i cant have my entire collection on a player that i cant listen at high volume when i want , when i  listen to my fave tracks by autechre or echospace labelled stuff i want it to hit the spot, to kick out , and on the onkyo it just doesnt do it, its a poncey player for classical music and 'discerning gentlemen that like liberace, or katie melua etc - but all that straining to listen to subtle nuances  / timbre etc , your really missing the point , i promise you, ive listen to 10 grands worth of levinson, and a live pa gig , the gig will sound better and reach you more, i genuinely think the 'audiophile' is misled , its a placebo effect... half the time , your ears strain to justify the empty pocket...and i say this as someone who can afford the expensive stuff...

a lot of people will be heavily influenced by crap they read from audiophiles', and most want impact from music , so, though it may anger many, i have to advise , if you like your music to kick ass, have impact depth bass and scale and wow factor , the onkyo may have features , but it just doesnt do well for musical enjoyment , overall.. and you will be better off with a fiio x3 or similar..

No sure if this helps, but when i first got my dp-x1a, it is very low volume to drive my denon ah-d5000 which is 27ohm, I felt regret at
the moment.
And then, i browse around the setup, and change the headphone type to "other", and the volume getting better.
And then, poke around of setting, and I don't have volume issue, I think the gain setting play the most important role.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #13,413 of 16,326

The true question I would like you to answer. Modest honesty seem to be your trade. How do you rate a standard smartphone to the sound from the onkyo? let's say that you feed the smartphone with a good source (i.e. high res stream). Are yo able to hear the difference? 

Thanks

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #13,414 of 16,326
i have had various poke arounds , gain etc - it went louder, i tried to convince myself it was loud enough and that 'at least i wont be damaging my ears' etc.. - but until you compare to a fiio x3 or x5 to the onkyo, you just cannot know , it is just not good at volume, i  have a lot of gear here , i am listening to it side by side  , a lot of enjoyment of sound comes with being able to pump it up, and you cant pump it up on the onkyo, honestly, its loud ish , but its not loud enough, it doesnt take it to the level you need it to when you really want to feel the music, the onkyo actually leaves one , unsatisfied, it may be fractionally more sparkly or harsh sounding , [depends how you look at these things], but , nope , the fiio x3 beats it in my, no doubt, controversial opinion... it has no gut's.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #13,416 of 16,326

Well i'm sure someone would be willing to swap their x3 for yours and put you out of your misery.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #13,417 of 16,326
I think most people use IEM and portable earphones with DAP.

dpx1 is comparable in power to AK and Sony. They are in the same hype.

Fiio offer much higher power in their DAP but it also become much noiser with when use high end IEM. It is a trade off. You cannot have both worlds.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #13,418 of 16,326

As a poncey listener and a discerning gentleman who LURVES Liberace and classical music I feel a little offended. Nevertheless all would be forgiven if you would send me your dpx1 in excnange for my Fiio.....

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #13,419 of 16,326
i have had various poke arounds , gain etc - it went louder, i tried to convince myself it was loud enough and that 'at least i wont be damaging my ears' etc.. - but until you compare to a fiio x3 or x5 to the onkyo, you just cannot know , it is just not good at volume, i  have a lot of gear here , i am listening to it side by side  , a lot of enjoyment of sound comes with being able to pump it up, and you cant pump it up on the onkyo, honestly, its loud ish , but its not loud enough, it doesnt take it to the level you need it to when you really want to feel the music, the onkyo actually leaves one , unsatisfied, it may be fractionally more sparkly or harsh sounding , [depends how you look at these things], but , nope , the fiio x3 beats it in my, no doubt, controversial opinion... it has no gut's.

Ill trade you my Fiio X3ii for your Onkyo.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #13,420 of 16,326
  this Sound & notification > Output select = Balanced doesnt change he volume

If you're operating in single-ended mode, it won't, but if you're operating in balanced mode, it can increase the output - compared to AGC mode.
Quote from the DP-X1 Manual:
~~~
Balanced
A mode suitable for when you have
connected balanced headphones. Compared
to the normal single-ended operation, you
can get a larger output and the high voltage
is not grounded together with the small
signal, so you can anticipate a superior effect
in the background of the music. Because you
get a larger output, you can drive
headphones with a higher impedance.

AGC
A mode suitable for when you have
connected balanced headphones. The basic
operating method is the same as the
balanced mode, but uses technology to even
more forcefully fix grounding standards, so
you can enjoy a sound quality with improved
clarity and more stability than the balanced
mode. Output volume is the same as the
regular single-ended operation, however.
~~~

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #13,421 of 16,326
For dpx1a tech spec, the Onkyo HK web page has formal English description of the new capacitors used in dpx1a.

"Conductive polymer capacitors for stable power supply
The use of conductive polymer capacitors allows for a smooth, stable, and even supply of power to components. Traits such as Low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance), LowESL (Equivalent series Inductance), large capacity, responsiveness to fluctuation in current, few issues with humidity. Excellent noise minimiizing capability give the mid and low ranges an added level of depth in sound reproduction."

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #13,423 of 16,326
i  haven't dl the latest firmware and i really wish i didnt have to but will, i bet it doesnt work out and another evening is gone  ,i  just want it to play hte damn thing, using the graphic equalizer knocks 20% off the volume , i detest little devices that dictate to me , but it seems like im a slave to this thing , every time i pick it up it needs a charge , i cant take it out with piece of mind im going to be able to listen to it if i decide to for fear the battery has gone , it has its moments , but i dont know , i  guess im past the tinkering stage in life...winds me up no end...

If you use equalizer this is a normal behavior in order for the user to raise the sliders but to stay below any kind of distortion and not go over 0db On the ibasso dx90 the same thing happened

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #13,424 of 16,326
i  have an iphone and have had 3 ipod classics , different models cant remember which , some of the later ipods sounded worse than the earlier ones i  had , the astell kern i  had was much better than what  i  had experienced with ipods , and louder,

the iphone i  have sounds grainier, and maybe a little louder, but not so good at louder volumes,

the fiio kicks out the sound , it just has a whack to it ,

i  know this is a broad un - hifi summary,

but if i said 'attack' or pace rhythm timing etc , it doesnt really mean anything i can listen to a transistor radio , and if sade's playing the sound would be described as smooth , laid back , and if i heared her live at a gig sitting in the front it would be smooth laid back still etc , but the experience is different, and the experience is different between the fiio and the onkyo, the onkyo is like plugging into a transistor radio the fiio more a home stereo,

onkyo sounds like portable experience to a home hifi headphone experience , a home amp does wonders by comparison to these portables , but the fiio is closer to a home experience than a portable ,

the onkyo volume doesnt even get going til its about 140 - 145 -  the majority of volume adjustment is in the last 20 - or so lvels between 140 - 160,

i dont know , i imagine you all think  im nuts but for me at least, it just doesnt cut it ..

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #13,425 of 16,326
If you use equalizer this is a normal behavior in order for the user to raise the sliders but to stay below any kind of distortion and not go over 0db On the ibasso dx90 the same thi

its quieter overall with the equalizer than max volume on flat no equalizer , that i think just adds insult to my whole volume issue...if you take any old amplifier and set the volume to 5 and move to the sliders as you raise the sliders the loudness will go louder...why does the onkyo feel the need to knock the volume down 20% before you even begin using it , its nuts..i  cant even use the equalizer on it , crazy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back