ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #12,991 of 16,326
  A core update in Android L - the version on these devices - is that it supports 96/24 natively. So, it doesnt support 192/24 but MAY support 96/24 for other apps....

For your geeky pleasure:
http://geeknizer.com/audio-improvements-in-android-5-0-l-audiophile/

Actually there is a company going around those limits   http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency   http://superpowered.com/android-usb-audio-android-midi

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #12,992 of 16,326

While you have a point, I still blame them (and any other manufacturer who does the same) for not attempting to make this fact common knowledge. I bought this DAP to use TIDAL, and I eventually bought a 2.5mm TRRS cable so I could utilize the dual DACs. Now I know it was a waste.

I never use TIDAL, but can you like download songs for offline mode and play the files with the default player? Unless the offline files hidden or encrypted only for TIDAL offline mode use. Let me know once you tried it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #12,993 of 16,326

While you have a point, I still blame them (and any other manufacturer who does the same) for not attempting to make this fact common knowledge. I bought this DAP to use TIDAL, and I eventually bought a 2.5mm TRRS cable so I could utilize the dual DACs. Now I know it was a waste.

i think most android DAPs also operate in the same way. Heck, don't even mention DAP. Some folks in xda found that even smartphone LG V20 operate its full capabilities using its own native music player (while other players will downsample the music due to Android limitation).

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #12,994 of 16,326
  I never use TIDAL, but can you like download songs for offline mode and play the files with the default player? Unless the offline files hidden or encrypted only for TIDAL offline mode use. Let me know once you tried it.

Can't do that, they are encrypted. Can only do it in the TIDAL app.

i think most android DAPs also operate in the same way. Heck, don't even mention DAP. Some folks in xda found that even smartphone LG V20 operate its full capabilities using its own native music player (while other players will downsample the music due to Android limitation).

This stuff makes me feel like HiFi Android players shouldn't be a thing. They're misleading. The point of Android is third-party support, or else just get a player that just plays media you own.

Think I'm going to go external DAC only now, only way to make sure that what I paid for is being fully utilized.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #12,996 of 16,326
Is your dp-x1a a Japanese version? I believe they only operate in the lower 5ghz band range. If you have your router set to automatic or the higher channels your dap won't detect the 5ghz signal. You'll need to manually set your router to operate in the lower range (I used 48) in order for it to work. I had a similar issue with my DP-X1.

​Thank you so much. It works.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #12,997 of 16,326
Can't do that, they are encrypted. Can only do it in the TIDAL app.

This stuff makes me feel like HiFi Android players shouldn't be a thing. They're misleading. The point of Android is third-party support, or else just get a player that just plays media you own.

Think I'm going to go external DAC only now, only way to make sure that what I paid for is being fully utilized.
FiiO X3 3

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #12,998 of 16,326
Am I reading it right? On 3rd party App:-

E.g.:
On Tidal
On Spotify

Only single DAC is doing the work? Even on "balanced" out?

I did a quick blind test... it's on the fly with one same MP3 @ 320kbps (Spotify vs Stock)...

With the assumption that Stock will utilise both DAC chips (and better / difference in sound?)...

To be honest... I can't seems a to tell the difference. Tested with balanced output.

Hopefully someone more technical can verify this "single dac on 3rd party app" claim please?

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #13,000 of 16,326
Hi. I know it's been discussed a lot before but I'm finally getting round to making my balanced cable. Can someone remind me of the polarity for my 2.5mm trrs jack? Thx

Same as AK: 

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #13,002 of 16,326
Is the headphone jack on the DP-X1 units now being sold in the US built so it doesn't come loose?  I noticed that some people reported a problem in the build of the jack on early units - I'm hoping that problem has disappeared in the new units being sold now.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #13,004 of 16,326

Total doesnt do in excess of 96/24 so you may be just fine - I am scheduled to talk to a real live "onkyo expert" and ill be asking details, especially since the "recommended" app includes tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back