ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #12,976 of 16,326
  General question...new X1 owner...just got it yesterday...100r is going back tomorrow (just got a balanced cable for my flc8s iems, so of course I needed another DAP that supported balanced out...my Cayin n5 also has balanced out).  It is pretty amazing that they are so similar.  However, since they are so similar they had the same flaw...I believe.  When the screen is off, you can use the play/pause button to pause the music, but getting the music to come back on seems like it takes 3 more pushes...first button push is ignored, the second push fades the music on and then it immediately fades it back off, then the third time, the music comes back on.  Has anyone experienced this?  

Outside of this, I have found no other major flaws yet.  It sounds great, is well built and fun.  I listened to about 4 albums today (24/96), the player was on for about 5 hours (screen off most of the time), and the battery is still at 70%, so I think the battery life will be just fine...it is a keeper.

Thanks,
Z

I think you are talking about the Cayin i5 not the N5? N5 is nothing similar to DP-X1. What you experience is just the overall delay of the OS responding to your button push. So you pushed the button 3 times, first it plays back then the 2nd pauses it then the 3rd plays music back on.

So the first button push appears to have a longer delay. I experienced this myself but after a while I know the 1st button push takes a while to get a response so I just wait longer until the music plays after the first button press.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #12,978 of 16,326

i've also read in one of the post earlier in this thread (or maybe another forum), that Onkyo's own native music player actually bypass android OS force-resampling and go directly to the DAC (so doesn't suffer from usual Android problem of downsampling).  Any other non-native app will not benefit from this, and will be forced to downsample by Android.

Indeed, a clip from an email thread:

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #12,981 of 16,326

We're all affected also by the placebo effect. There will be some questioning themselves :wink:

I'm curious to find out how the test will go. If 3rd-party apps can't use the 2 DACs at the same time, why would the balanced out still works when using 3rd party apps? 

The only thing I can see 3rd-party apps are limited compared to the stock music app is that 3rd-party apps gets down/re-sampled to the Android-native 48Khz sampling rate.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #12,982 of 16,326

This is complete BS if true. It's misleading for a device to advertise features which turn out to be highly conditional. I bet if Onkyo disclosed that the dual DACs only work with the stock player, many people wouldn't have bought it.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #12,983 of 16,326

This is complete BS if true. It's misleading for a device to advertise features which turn out to be highly conditional. I bet if Onkyo disclosed that the dual DACs only work with the stock player, many people wouldn't have bought it.

Don't blame Onkyo (or any other DAP maker with dual DACS, Amps, etc.).  The third-party apps themselves would have to be coded to take advantage of the two DACs.  It would be up to the app maker to make the changes, not Onkyo.  They are only responsible for the hardware they produce and designing their software player to take full advantage of it.  Users need to provide feedback to the third-party app makers and see if they will update their apps to take advantage of more than one DAC/Amp, etc.  

I think that since there will be more dual-DAC hardware players out in the wild, the third party app folks will probably get around to taking advantage of the new hardware configurations.  It's just a matter of how long and how hard will it be to update the apps.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #12,985 of 16,326
  Don't blame Onkyo (or any other DAP maker with dual DACS, Amps, etc.).  The third-party apps themselves would have to be coded to take advantage of the two DACs.  It would be up to the app maker to make the changes, not Onkyo.  They are only responsible for the hardware they produce and designing their software player to take full advantage of it.  Users need to provide feedback to the third-party app makers and see if they will update their apps to take advantage of more than one DAC/Amp, etc.  

I think that since there will be more dual-DAC hardware players out in the wild, the third party app folks will probably get around to taking advantage of the new hardware configurations.  It's just a matter of how long and how hard will it be to update the apps.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

While you have a point, I still blame them (and any other manufacturer who does the same) for not attempting to make this fact common knowledge. I bought this DAP to use TIDAL, and I eventually bought a 2.5mm TRRS cable so I could utilize the dual DACs. Now I know it was a waste.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #12,986 of 16,326
A core update in Android L - the version on these devices - is that it supports 96/24 natively. So, it doesnt support 192/24 but MAY support 96/24 for other apps....

For your geeky pleasure:
http://geeknizer.com/audio-improvements-in-android-5-0-l-audiophile/

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #12,987 of 16,326
While you have a point, I still blame them (and any other manufacturer who does the same) for not attempting to make this fact common knowledge. I bought this DAP to use TIDAL, and I eventually bought a 2.5mm TRRS cable so I could utilize the dual DACs. Now I know it was a waste.

Am I reading it right? On 3rd party App:-

E.g.:
On Tidal
On Spotify

Only single DAC is doing the work? Even on "balanced" out?

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #12,988 of 16,326

What bothers me even more is that according to other posts even when you use the Onkyo app it transcodes DSD to PCM and also transcodes the frequency of PCM to multiples of 48.  I do not know if this is accurate, but if it is true, it is unfortunate that it does not use the DACs to directly read the files, since the DACs are DSD compatible and do not require a frequency that is a multiple of of 48.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #12,990 of 16,326
Just receive my dp-x1a, initial setup was able to detect and connect to wifi 5ghz. After setup, was asked to update software. After updating software cannot detect 5ghz.

Is your dp-x1a a Japanese version? I believe they only operate in the lower 5ghz band range. If you have your router set to automatic or the higher channels your dap won't detect the 5ghz signal. You'll need to manually set your router to operate in the lower range (I used 48) in order for it to work. I had a similar issue with my DP-X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back