ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #12,961 of 16,326
I,m realy interested in that quеstion! I want bye, but i dn witch one

Hi Andrey (and Djsenjaya!),

To answer your questions about the Pioneer XDP-300r vs the Onkyo DP-X1A, the DP-X1A is without question the superior player in terms of functionality and, I would imagine, sound, although everyone has different views and preferences.

But which one to buy depends on a whole bunch of factors.
For example, do you want to use balanced IEM's or headphones, now or perhaps in the future?
What kind of budget do you have available?
Is the size and weight of the player (it's portability) a critical factor for you?
Do you like the ability to modify the sound signature from your DAP?
I'm sure other people can contribute with a their own questions, but this is just to give you a better idea.
Often, the answer is not so useful until we are clear about the question we are asking :)

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #12,962 of 16,326
Hi Andrey (and Djsenjaya!),

To answer your questions about the Pioneer XDP-300r vs the Onkyo DP-X1A, the DP-X1A is without question the superior player in terms of functionality and, I would imagine, sound, although everyone has different views and preferences.

But which one to buy depends on a whole bunch of factors.
For example, do you want to use balanced IEM's or headphones, now or perhaps in the future?
What kind of budget do you have available?
Is the size and weight of the player (it's portability) a critical factor for you?
Do you like the ability to modify the sound signature from your DAP?
I'm sure other people can contribute with a their own questions, but this is just to give you a better idea.
Often, the answer is not so useful until we are clear about the question we are asking :)

In terms of functionality, in which way the Onkyo is superior compared to Pioneer Xdp-300r?! Care to shed more information regarding your claim?!
To my limited knowledge, Onkyo and the Xdp-300r share almost the same or very similar hardware both using dual DAC and offers balanced out.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #12,963 of 16,326
In terms of functionality, in which way the Onkyo is superior compared to Pioneer Xdp-300r?! Care to shed more information regarding your claim?!
To my limited knowledge, Onkyo and the Xdp-300r share almost the same or very similar hardware both using dual DAC and offers balanced out.

My mistake; I was mixing up the Pioneer DAP with the previous one released at the same time as the original DP-X1!
redface.gif

You try and help a guy out, and fall flat on your face
tongue_smile.gif

Thankfully, I supose my comment is not wholly incorrect.. The DP-X1A is supposed to be a somewhat improved version of the DP-X1.
I hear they fixed the headphone ports issue (presumable also fixed on the XDP-300r!), but also added a significant increase in capacitance, which is supposed to make the amp section more powerful?

So the question then becomes what form and function you prefer, and how important the DP-X1A amp section is to you (and what exactly it contributes), as well as portability, budget and so forth as before..

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #12,964 of 16,326
My mistake; I was mixing up the Pioneer DAP with the previous one released at the same time as the original DP-X1! :xf_eek:
You try and help a guy out, and fall flat on your face :tongue_smile:
Thankfully, I supose my comment is not wholly incorrect.. The DP-X1A is supposed to be a somewhat improved version of the DP-X1.
I hear they fixed the headphone ports issue (presumable also fixed on the XDP-300r!), but also added a significant increase in capacitance, which is supposed to make the amp section more powerful?

So the question then becomes what form and function you prefer, and how important the DP-X1A amp section is to you (and what exactly it contributes), as well as portability, budget and so forth as before..

In the same time you give an example of the question to me, you may share the answer based on your questions.

Now from all aspect, build quality (jack and chasis) , GUI, sound quality, and the baterry performance.

Is there any difference between two?
Most important part is the sound quality.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #12,965 of 16,326
I'm guessing the DP-X1A and 300R are almost identical, at which point I'd purchase whichever costs less. I was going to hold out for the DP-X1A but found the DP-X1 for a reasonable price locally and just went for that one rather than deal with shipping, duties, currency exchange and a merchant on the other side of the planet. With headphones intended to be portable and easily driven I wonder how much difference the slight upgrades would make between revisions... I dunno.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #12,966 of 16,326
Just had a chance to compare briefly Pioneer XDP-300R vs. Onkyo DP-X1 vs. Onkyo DP-X1A, with JVC HA-FX1100, Westone W30, AKG K7xx and Fostex TH-X00. The 300R and X1 are very close, the 300R being maybe slightly better for electronic / dance music (synths sound less clinical compared to the Onkyo, yet still preserving the same level of details). Both have the same level of distortion in bass on K7xx or TH-X00 though, something that DP-X1A plays better, Between DP-X1 and 300R I'd pick the 300R.

And I don't think it's placebo caused by Pioneer's great reputation in DJ equipment, while Onkyo being perceived as a company for the serious (older?) listener. :)

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #12,967 of 16,326
The 300R being 36,433 JPY ($319) on Amazon.co.jp right now for shipping abroad. Not bad.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #12,968 of 16,326

My mistake; I was mixing up the Pioneer DAP with the previous one released at the same time as the original DP-X1!
redface.gif

You try and help a guy out, and fall flat on your face
tongue_smile.gif

It's the components inside that makes x1a differ from xdp-300r.  Yes, you're right. The capacitor and chip resistor they use in x1a are the differing factors (dp-x1 use melodio and vishay respectively, while there's no info on what's being used in xdp-300r). Whether it will make very big differences to most casual listeners, only those who have both can tell the differences.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #12,969 of 16,326
there are two version of the MUSIC app. one is called Music for Onkyo and the other Music for Pioneer. That is the major difference. The Onkyo one tuned more toward pure music lover. The pioneer one I believe it more bassy toward pop music. But using tidal or other app there should be no difference.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #12,970 of 16,326
The bigger capacitor should make some diffience when play high dynamic classical music when more energy reserve does help.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #12,971 of 16,326
Actually I have installed the Music for Pioneer in my dpx1. The result in SQ is not good. Therefore I think even the codes in dac and amp sections are different so changing only the Music app does not work well.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #12,972 of 16,326
Actually I have installed the Music for Pioneer in my dpx1. The result in SQ is not good. Therefore I think even the codes in dac and amp sections are different so changing only the Music app does not work well.

i've also read in one of the post earlier in this thread (or maybe another forum), that Onkyo's own native music player actually bypass android OS force-resampling and go directly to the DAC (so doesn't suffer from usual Android problem of downsampling).  Any other non-native app will not benefit from this, and will be forced to downsample by Android.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #12,973 of 16,326
General question...new X1 owner...just got it yesterday...100r is going back tomorrow (just got a balanced cable for my flc8s iems, so of course I needed another DAP that supported balanced out...my Cayin n5 also has balanced out).  It is pretty amazing that they are so similar.  However, since they are so similar they had the same flaw...I believe.  When the screen is off, you can use the play/pause button to pause the music, but getting the music to come back on seems like it takes 3 more pushes...first button push is ignored, the second push fades the music on and then it immediately fades it back off, then the third time, the music comes back on.  Has anyone experienced this?  

Outside of this, I have found no other major flaws yet.  It sounds great, is well built and fun.  I listened to about 4 albums today (24/96), the player was on for about 5 hours (screen off most of the time), and the battery is still at 70%, so I think the battery life will be just fine...it is a keeper.

Thanks,
Z

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #12,974 of 16,326
  General question...new X1 owner...just got it yesterday...100r is going back tomorrow (just got a balanced cable for my flc8s iems, so of course I needed another DAP that supported balanced out...my Cayin n5 also has balanced out).  It is pretty amazing that they are so similar.  However, since they are so similar they had the same flaw...I believe.  When the screen is off, you can use the play/pause button to pause the music, but getting the music to come back on seems like it takes 3 more pushes...first button push is ignored, the second push fades the music on and then it immediately fades it back off, then the third time, the music comes back on.  Has anyone experienced this?  

Outside of this, I have found no other major flaws yet.  It sounds great, is well built and fun.  I listened to about 4 albums today (24/96), the player was on for about 5 hours (screen off most of the time), and the battery is still at 70%, so I think the battery life will be just fine...it is a keeper.

Thanks,
Z

Congret!

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #12,975 of 16,326

i've also read in one of the post earlier in this thread (or maybe another forum), that Onkyo's own native music player actually bypass android OS force-resampling and go directly to the DAC (so doesn't suffer from usual Android problem of downsampling).  Any other non-native app will not benefit from this, and will be forced to downsample by Android.

Not sure about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back