ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #12,736 of 16,326
Finally, running the Savants balanced. Fiio cable, cheap at A$45 delivered. Not the best wire around, a bit stiffer than stock and a wee bit microphonic but at that price can't complain. Helps me get the best out of the DP-X1.

613da860ba204f2762e4468d913416e9.jpg

54837cc094cea00514bcbe97807e5dbb.jpg

fe07af6e28957394cf814615bfed2116.jpg

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #12,738 of 16,326
Hello,

Been searching this thread for anyone using following cable from Surf Cables,

Onkyo DP-X1 and A&K Balanced Cables

https://www.surfcables.com/products/onkyo-dp-x1-and-a-k-balanced-cables

And one particularly their,

[COLOR=FF9900]ON-XLR3
[tr]

2.5mm male TRRS to dual 3 pin XLR Male. 

(Allows Onkyo or A&K player output to be fed into the balanced input of a preamplifier)
[/tr]
[/color]

[COLOR=666666]This cable is 3 feet or 5 feet long made with our "standard" Teflon insulated- silver plated copper wire and a pair of Neutrik XLR Male connectors.[/COLOR]

Not entirely clear what means by silver plated copper wire.  I would imagine these are not silver cables like the ones sold by the Double Helix Cables and Moon Audio.

I'm considering getting above cable at 5 foot length, to connect between Onkyo DP-X1 and OPPO HA-1.

I have 0 experience with this vendor, as i've been ordering Dragon cables (silver and blue) from Moon Audio, hence looking for some advise, feedback about this vendor, their quality and such.

Reading through various users of Surf Cables, seem mostly content, happy, and gets better after their break in (???).

Is that the general opinion about Surf Cables?

Certainly their price per performance seems to not break the wallet, but i'm of the opinion you get what you pay for.

Thanks much.

Surf cables is good and honest quality at acceptable prices. A head-up though, using XLR pre-in on HA-1 is horrible. It has 10kOhms....you would probably need to turn on high-gain and clock the volume at 70% to start hearing things. I know I did with my other DAPs. It is not recommended by me

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #12,740 of 16,326

I listened for some time to my new Onkyo DP-X1A, Chord Mojo (transport from iPhone 6s and DP-X1A) and colleague's Sony NW-WM1A. I must say that in terms of pure sound quality - the Sony NW-WM1A wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love my new DP-X1A, but even in comparison to the Mojo its music is very polite, with somewhat distilled punch/drive/emotion, as my colleague said "without balls". In terms of punch/drive/emotion the DP-X1A is the worst of the bunch, with the Mojo being much better and the NW-WM1A even slightly surpassing the Mojo (kudos Sony!).

I'm glad I got the Mojo - since the Sony can't play YouTube music videos - the Onkyo can and paired with the Mojo it's very close in sound quality to the Sony. 2 devices though. :frowning2:

Hi. I am wondering if the Dp-x1a version solve the following situation: this is quoted from dvmrp 's post "when replaying DSF/DFF files and the output is set to DoP, there are occasional, random playback pauses for around 1s." transport from DP-X1A via Dop mode to mojo. Is this issue solved in DP-X1a version. Please advise. Many many thanks.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #12,741 of 16,326
For those looking for inexpensive IEM to go with dpx1. There are reviews that audio-technica new release ath-E40, LS70, LS200 all are good pair to dpx1.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #12,742 of 16,326
Surf cables is good and honest quality at acceptable prices. A head-up though, using XLR pre-in on HA-1 is horrible. It has 10kOhms....you would probably need to turn on high-gain and clock the volume at 70% to start hearing things. I know I did with my other DAPs. It is not recommended by me

Okay, thanks for that information, and the heads up.

As for the analog XLR balanced inputs on HA-1, i see in the spec it's 15K Ohms, i'll have to play with it with the DP-X1 line out from its 2.5mm TRRS line out.

I'm currently using the non-balaned RCA analog inputs at 10K Ohms, with Meridian Audio's Explorer2 DAC's line output, mainly to get their MQA decoding.  And HA-1 seems to be doing okay, didn't need to (yet) turn on high gain or put the volume at a higher setting.

Perhaps there will be differences between 15K Ohms at XLR inputs and 10K Ohms RCA inputs.

I have bought a number of cables from Surf, including the 2.5 mm trrs cable.  The quality is excellent and the service is very fast.  The cables sound great.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll pull the trigger with the surf cable.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #12,743 of 16,326
  Hi. I am wondering if the Dp-x1a version solve the following situation: this is quoted from dvmrp 's post "when replaying DSF/DFF files and the output is set to DoP, there are occasional, random playback pauses for around 1s." transport from DP-X1A via Dop mode to mojo. Is this issue solved in DP-X1a version. Please advise. Many many thanks.

All good on my DP-X1A when playing DSF files via Mojo in DoP output format. No random pauses. I'm playing the files from internal memory though.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #12,745 of 16,326

Hi, are you using the USB Audio Player Pro app (and not the native app) for playing DSF in DoP output format?

Hello, just the native app - didn't purchase the USB Audio Player Pro.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #12,748 of 16,326
The price of DP-X1A at e-earphone seems to normalize now. Currently at 63,450 yen or roughly US$543 (discount not yet applied).

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #12,749 of 16,326
  The price of DP-X1A at e-earphone seems to normalize now. Currently at 63,450 yen or roughly US$543 (discount not yet applied).

That's approximately £442! Wow~
beyersmile.png

Mind you, I can't read Japanese, so I've no idea how much delivery to UK would cost (not to mention the tax I'd need to pay)? Anyone got any idea?
Also, scrolling down on the advert, did it say that the Dignis case is included free of charge? Or was that just an advert for the case?

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #12,750 of 16,326
Okay, thanks for that information, and the heads up.

As for the analog XLR balanced inputs on HA-1, i see in the spec it's 15K Ohms, i'll have to play with it with the DP-X1 line out from its 2.5mm TRRS line out.

I'm currently using the non-balaned RCA analog inputs at 10K Ohms, with Meridian Audio's Explorer2 DAC's line output, mainly to get their MQA decoding.  And HA-1 seems to be doing okay, didn't need to (yet) turn on high gain or put the volume at a higher setting.

Perhaps there will be differences between 15K Ohms at XLR inputs and 10K Ohms RCA inputs.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll pull the trigger with the surf cable.

I tried XLR input on HA1 and I stand corrected on the impedance load, but none the less, XLR pre-in is horrible for DAP. This is what I used for it ofcourse. So I can use my headphones cables to adapt into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back