ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #12,721 of 16,328
But I don't think Opus 1 or 2 can challenge dp-x1. Not even ak70 300 320 240 (except 240ss). So given that sony WM1A is quite new and it has all that sony can offer. I would only recommend dp-x1 user to upgrade to WM1A (purely for SQ).

Did you try Opus 2 in balanced ? Anyways, Opus and AK has different sound signatures than Walkman. I understand the preferences :)

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #12,722 of 16,328

But I don't think Opus 1 or 2 can challenge dp-x1. Not even ak70 300 320 240 (except 240ss). So given that sony WM1A is quite new and it has all that sony can offer. I would only recommend dp-x1 user to upgrade to WM1A (purely for SQ).

Honestly havent heard either of 4,

I am in the market to buy a dap, was super keen on dp-x1a, and feel its like perfect (may be battery disappoints me) , sony is brilliant by the review.

Opus 1 is like going for 400$ it isnt a fair comparison, that too with leather case etc.  Opus 2 where as is 1000$ worth so again isnt fair comparison.

If i were to compare i would say fair would be upcoming dx200 or fiio x7+am2 or fiio x5 gen3. 

These are my comparables going by budget thus throwing my view.  (AK is out of my consideration set)

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #12,723 of 16,328
For tidal user, I just found out new version has offline Playlist now. Currently downloading my playlists songs. I don't need the whole album as most I don't listen to all songs in it.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #12,724 of 16,328
For tidal user, I just found out new version has offline Playlist now. Currently downloading my playlists songs. I don't need the whole album as most I don't listen to all songs in it.

Some users are reporting TIDAL 'offline' (i.e. stored on SD card) seems to have 'skip' issues. Do you experience the same? It seems to be that if it's on internal storage the issue is not apparent.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #12,725 of 16,328
Some users are reporting TIDAL 'offline' (i.e. stored on SD card) seems to have 'skip' issues. Do you experience the same? It seems to be that if it's on internal storage the issue is not apparent.

Current version is much better about this skip issue when play offline.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #12,727 of 16,328
Hi all, since it's been quite some time since I looked at this thread, I have a few questions regarding 3rd party music apps (e.g. Hiby, etc.). I apologise if some of them have already been covered and I missed them:

1) Are 3rd party apps able to fully utilise the twin DACs in the DP-X1?

2) Does the low-volume distortion still occur when using 3rd party apps?

3) What are some 3rd party apps that you would recommend (sorry, iPhone user, so I'm not that familiar with the Google Play Store)?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #12,728 of 16,328
  Hi all, since it's been quite some time since I looked at this thread, I have a few questions regarding 3rd party music apps (e.g. Hiby, etc.). I apologise if some of them have already been covered and I missed them:

1) Are 3rd party apps able to fully utilise the twin DACs in the DP-X1?

2) Does the low-volume distortion still occur when using 3rd party apps?

3) What are some 3rd party apps that you would recommend (sorry, iPhone user, so I'm not that familiar with the Google Play Store)?

Thanks in advance.

I am using HibyMusic and I'm pretty sure it uses the Twin DAC as it plays music out of the Balanced output which is impossible to use with only half of the topology.

I don't hear any low level distortion not only HibyMusic but other players like Neutron Foobar and UAPP as well. However, I think the Stock Player is the best player for DP-X1 feature-wise as well as aesthetic.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #12,729 of 16,328
Chungjun and addyg , the whole Tidal offline music skipping happens with all Android based players when you store all content to the external cards.

After using Cayin, AR, Pioneer, Onkyo and Fiio they all exhibit the same behavior on offline with Micro SD card.

The issue occurs no matter the brand of the card, of course I am talking about a high read/write type cards. I have not used lower spec cards

The AR exhibit less amount of skipping than the other players but is also a much more modified version of Android OS.

The skipping does not occur in all songs which is strange and I have to assume has to do with the Tidal file characteristics.

On my rudimentary tests I found skipping when music is offline but on "onboard main" memory

I have a series of songs in which the skipping occurs on all players but NOT on high end phones which tells me

A) The newer Android OS resolves the issue or
B) The higher components phone specs RAM and CPU resolve the issue.
C) Or both combined.

I do not experience skipping on streaming on Tidal

Also I do not have any issues with Spotify offline or streaming

Currently my belief is that the skipping issue will go away with 2017 Android based DAP players that move from Android 4.4 to Android 6 or higher , assuming that this will drive higher RAM and CPU specs

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #12,730 of 16,328
I am using HibyMusic and I'm pretty sure it uses the Twin DAC as it plays music out of the Balanced output which is impossible to use with only half of the topology.

I don't hear any low level distortion not only HibyMusic but other players like Neutron Foobar and UAPP as well. However, I think the Stock Player is the best player for DP-X1 feature-wise as well as aesthetic.

Great, I'm gonna try out Hiby, it seems to be one of the more popular ones here.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #12,731 of 16,328
Chungjun and addyg , the whole Tidal offline music skipping happens with all Android based players when you store all content to the external cards.

After using Cayin, AR, Pioneer, Onkyo and Fiio they all exhibit the same behavior on offline with Micro SD card.

The issue occurs no matter the brand of the card, of course I am talking about a high read/write type cards. I have not used lower spec cards

The AR exhibit less amount of skipping than the other players but is also a much more modified version of Android OS.

The skipping does not occur in all songs which is strange and I have to assume has to do with the Tidal file characteristics.

On my rudimentary tests I found skipping when music is offline but on "onboard main" memory

I have a series of songs in which the skipping occurs on all players but NOT on high end phones which tells me

A) The newer Android OS resolves the issue or
B) The higher components phone specs RAM and CPU resolve the issue.
C) Or both combined.

I do not experience skipping on streaming on Tidal

Also I do not have any issues with Spotify offline or streaming

Currently my belief is that the skipping issue will go away with 2017 Android based DAP players that move from Android 4.4 to Android 6 or higher , assuming that this will drive higher RAM and CPU specs

Thanks for detail answer!

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #12,734 of 16,328
  addyg, where did you find the amp improvement. I was browsing the spec sheet and maybe I misread it seems that the software was upgraded, some quality changes and the new onboard memory size

From this thread we posted some picture of Onkyo's Ad said the dp-x1a has different capacitors which are larger in size (more electricity) and better in quality.  I think these capacitors are even larger than the ones in AK380.

But IEMs may not feel the sound different as we know larger capacitors are for hard to drive earphones. This is also proved in some dp-x1a user review.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #12,735 of 16,328
Hello,

Been searching this thread for anyone using following cable from Surf Cables,

Onkyo DP-X1 and A&K Balanced Cables

https://www.surfcables.com/products/onkyo-dp-x1-and-a-k-balanced-cables

And one particularly their,

ON-XLR3 2.5mm male TRRS to dual 3 pin XLR Male. 

(Allows Onkyo or A&K player output to be fed into the balanced input of a preamplifier)

This cable is 3 feet or 5 feet long made with our "standard" Teflon insulated- silver plated copper wire and a pair of Neutrik XLR Male connectors.

Not entirely clear what means by silver plated copper wire.  I would imagine these are not silver cables like the ones sold by the Double Helix Cables and Moon Audio.

I'm considering getting above cable at 5 foot length, to connect between Onkyo DP-X1 and OPPO HA-1.

I have 0 experience with this vendor, as i've been ordering Dragon cables (silver and blue) from Moon Audio, hence looking for some advise, feedback about this vendor, their quality and such.

Reading through various users of Surf Cables, seem mostly content, happy, and gets better after their break in (???).

Is that the general opinion about Surf Cables?

Certainly their price per performance seems to not break the wallet, but i'm of the opinion you get what you pay for.

Thanks much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back