ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 26, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #12,706 of 16,328
I have the Pioneer XDP-300R, can anyone comment on how it compares to DPX1A?

I saw some review the 300R is better than dp-x1 a bit. But not as good as dp-x1a.

For it has been one year after dp-x1 release, I think it could be true.

dp-x1a > 300R > dp-x1  . but the difference may be minor.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #12,707 of 16,328

I was listening through these cans: B&W P7, AKG K7xx, Grado GH1, Beyerdynamic T1.2 and Sony MDR-Z1R and these IEMs: JVC HA-FX1100, Onkyo E700M, Sony MDR-EX750AP and Shure SE535. The overall "polite" musical expression of my Onkyo DP-X1A compared to the Mojo and Sony NW-WM1A was absolutely clear with all these.

As one would expect the Sony played really well with MDR-Z1R and T1.2. The Onkyo really shines for some reason with the "wooden" models HA-FX1100 and GH1.

I want to hear Campfire Andromeda and see how they pair with my pocket clinician DP-X1A. :) Anyone knows if Andromeda + DP-X1/A is a good match?

From you list of cans, I don't think they will match dp-x1a well.  And for Andromeda, yes, it is quite better than the list of cans/IEM you listed.

I tried SE535 SE846 E700M heir3ais heir10.0 MSR7 dt-Series AKG-K712 K545 AK-T1p ....

dp-x1 matched good with AK-T1p K712 MSR7 heir10.0 heir3ais se535.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #12,708 of 16,328
  any one tried neutron player with this player ? does the hardware play buttons work with it without any problems ? 

Yes, hardware button works fine.  I actually preferred neutron over Music (the default player) on Vocal.  neutron has tuned vocal very good.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #12,711 of 16,328
I was listening through these cans: B&W P7, AKG K7xx, Grado GH1, Beyerdynamic T1.2 and Sony MDR-Z1R and these IEMs: JVC HA-FX1100, Onkyo E700M, Sony MDR-EX750AP and Shure SE535. The overall "polite" musical expression of my Onkyo DP-X1A compared to the Mojo and Sony NW-WM1A was absolutely clear with all these.

As one would expect the Sony played really well with MDR-Z1R and T1.2. The Onkyo really shines for some reason with the "wooden" models HA-FX1100 and GH1.

I want to hear Campfire Andromeda and see how they pair with my pocket clinician DP-X1A. :) Anyone knows if Andromeda + DP-X1/A is a good match?

Hi, just adding my two cents here - i'd like to recommend the Meze 99, they're an amazing pair of cans and together with the Onkyo they will work wonders!
If you're of the opinion (just like me:wink:) that the Onkyo really shines with wooden cans, you'll love these, as the well known clinical sound of this dap will smoothe down quite a bit and give a wonderfully balanced and powerful performance! Try them if you can..

As for the Andromeda, I'm sorry, never tried these before, but I would definitely recommend another kind of iems - the Nuforce Primo 8 - they really are up there and a great upgrade to your se535 ( I have both! :)
Did you try them?

Cheers

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #12,713 of 16,328
So, someone is looking to weight between Onkyo DP-x1 and or WM1A ? I honestly would pick Walkman all day long in this comparison. Though, if you really want something snappier and more digital, you should check out Opus 2, not cheap, but Onkyo is a no comparison in Opus 2 performances for having the same Dual DAC. It also has the upper hand as it can be used as external DAC/amp for IEMS and easy to drive headphones, a feature that no Walkman has....Onkyo doesnt.

My apologize for being too rash on the Onkyo performances.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #12,714 of 16,328
So, someone is looking to weight between Onkyo DP-x1 and or WM1A ? I honestly would pick Walkman all day long in this comparison. Though, if you really want something snappier and more digital, you should check out Opus 2, not cheap, but Onkyo is a no comparison in Opus 2 performances for having the same Dual DAC. It also has the upper hand as it can be used as external DAC/amp for IEMS and easy to drive headphones, a feature that no Walkman has....Onkyo doesnt.

Your entitled to your opinion, Im actually going to sell mine and get something new. I was thinking of the Opus2, i have the Opus1 which is great but I might save my pennies for the LPG. I will say my DP-X1 worked flawlessly in every aspect and sounds amazing with my CIEMs!

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #12,716 of 16,328
Regarding the gain setting.. after my firmware upgrade im still seeing the same setting.. 0 db and -3db (tis is vol DSD to PCM conversion).
My set is DP X1...SW VER 0.1.37.8

that never changed even on the latest FW. What were you expecting to see? The other gain which affects the hardware power output is in the system settings not on the music player settings.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #12,718 of 16,328

As a long term user of dp-x1, I tried the WM1A.  I agreed that WM1A is an upgrade for dp-x1. In vocal , the WM1A is better in power, thickness and emotion. In classical, dp-x1 will get closer to WM1A.  If one don't need the streaming function of dp-x1, sony WM1A is an upgrade for dp-x1.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #12,719 of 16,328

But I don't think Opus 1 or 2 can challenge dp-x1. Not even ak70 300 320 240 (except 240ss). So given that sony WM1A is quite new and it has all that sony can offer. I would only recommend dp-x1 user to upgrade to WM1A (purely for SQ).

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #12,720 of 16,328
6ed73e10282c0b2f8aa7d136f02c9418.jpg

Group photo with DP-X1. Mojo hidden behind the DAP, loves making things happen behind the curtains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back