ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 31, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #12,754 of 16,328

That's approximately £442! Wow~
beyersmile.png

Mind you, I can't read Japanese, so I've no idea how much delivery to UK would cost (not to mention the tax I'd need to pay)? Anyone got any idea?
Also, scrolling down on the advert, did it say that the Dignis case is included free of charge? Or was that just an advert for the case?

Amazon Japan has better price, but you will have to wait 1-3 weeks.
And with Google translate, it says the leather case is included at e-earphone site.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #12,756 of 16,328
For those couple the dpx1 with an external amp, I suggest you can try the audio-technica ath-E40. I tried it today, it matched perfectly with Music and tidal. Before that I don't use Music for vocal because it lacks warmth in female vocal, I used Neutron instead. But the E40 matched good with Music for female vocal.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #12,759 of 16,328
  Have they fixed the listening fatigue issue?

I haven't heard anything about a listening fatigue issue..
Not contradicting you, just haven't heard about it and I'd been following this thread on and off since it first started..
I have this issue sometimes with IEM's. To some extent it can be due to a design/implementation flaw, but in other cases, it's just me because I am a bit sensitive to treble.

Not sure which category the DP-X1 fits into, as I don't own it and haven't heard it personally. But am certainly considering the DP-X1A as it seems to resolve most previous reported issues :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12,760 of 16,328

I haven't heard anything about a listening fatigue issue..
Not contradicting you, just haven't heard about it and I'd been following this thread on and off since it first started..
I have this issue sometimes with IEM's. To some extent it can be due to a design/implementation flaw, but in other cases, it's just me because I am a bit sensitive to treble.

Not sure which category the DP-X1 fits into, as I don't own it and haven't heard it personally. But am certainly considering the DP-X1A as it seems to resolve most previous reported issues :)

I am also sensitive to treble.  I have the DP-X1 and yes it does have excellent sound quality, especially in the AGC balanced mode but I find that I am unable to listen to it for long periods of time.  I also have a Cowon P1 and I can listen to it all day long without any issues or the choice of headphones/IEM.  The only drawback of the Cowon is that there is no wifi/steaming capabilities.  If you consider the DP-X1A, balanced cables are a must.  Either purchase or make some yourself.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #12,761 of 16,328
I am also sensitive to treble.  I have the DP-X1 and yes it does have excellent sound quality, especially in the AGC balanced mode but I find that I am unable to listen to it for long periods of time.  I also have a Cowon P1 and I can listen to it all day long without any issues or the choice of headphones/IEM.  The only drawback of the Cowon is that there is no wifi/steaming capabilities.  If you consider the DP-X1A, balanced cables are a must.  Either purchase or make some yourself.

What headphones/IEMs are you using? Maybe try something with a warmer sig.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #12,762 of 16,328
What headphones/IEMs are you using? Maybe try something with a warmer sig.

I have the Fostex TH900, Sennhiser Hd650, Audeze LCD2, Sennheiser IE80, some AKG, JBL headphones.  I have tried a hand full of other bands such as VMODA, Beats, Sony, etc.   I found this to be true with all ESS based devices vs TI, AKM dacs (where all of the headphones I have tried sound good or amazing on TI / AKM).  

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #12,763 of 16,328

Maybe try out the ath-E40 . Before I have not been able to find a good match IEM to Music as it is quick cold in the female vocal sound, but this E40, I can enjoy listen to the Music app as it added more thickness to female vocal.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #12,764 of 16,328
I have the Fostex TH900, Sennhiser Hd650, Audeze LCD2, Sennheiser IE80, some AKG, JBL headphones.  I have tried a hand full of other bands such as VMODA, Beats, Sony, etc.   I found this to be true with all ESS based devices vs TI, AKM dacs (where all of the headphones I have tried sound good or amazing on TI / AKM).  

Thats a good array of choices, like you said maybe Sabre DACs aren't for you. I think the DP-X1 does a great job with the notorious Sabre glare. For me, my X1 works best with my BA CIEMs.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #12,765 of 16,328
I have been using the new Onkyo DP X1A and wanted to share some thoughts using a comparison with one of the best DAP's in 2016 the Cayin i5.

a) Overall the construction of the DAP has improved. Feels much more solid than the DP X1 I had purchased in 2016
b) The quality issues such as connection points (loose) are now corrected, fell tight. The tight feeling when inserting and extracting is still there. I like the Cayin i5 better on this department feels a bit smoother. I5+
c) Physical comparisons are shown below. I did my best in taking some of these images to give everyone an Idea. The X1A is larger than the Cayin which makes a difference in the pocket but also on the screen "real estate". On an Android OS environment screen, real estate in important due to render of pages and tactile touch need. X1A +
d) I like the physical response feel from both units for the play/forward/rewind buttons. I5=X1A
e) Physical Volume Knob, the Cayin knob is larger in diameter/depth which gives it better handling, the X1A feels too small. Both work well. The Cayin knob is easier to find in the dark or in the pocket I5+
f) Software Volume, they both work as required. I do prefer the graphic interface of the X1A. X1A +
g) Start Screen after unlocking the screen. I prefer the Cayin due to the information provided the Onkyo kept the standard vanilla Android interface. I5+
h) Operation of the unit. Both provide the interface and options you would expect. 

I think were these units start to differentiate themselves are in the following areas:

- Options: X1A wins no issue. I mean 64gB onboard memory, 2x Micro SD card slot, 3.5MM and 2.5MM dedicated jacks
-Charging: Cayin i5 wins, Type C connector is a better option than Micro USB. 
Screen real estate: On the Cayin i5 the icons are small so it creates some burden when operating. Pages for Spotify, Tidal and Deezer have an improved appearance on the X1A
- Wi-Fi signal strength: X1A is better on holding to the Wi-Fi signal than the Cayin i5. 
- Battery: Different size battery between units, which gives the lead to the X1A. However, the battery management by Cayin is aggressive compared with the Onkyo and you may get 1.5hr more on the Onkyo. This was an informal test
- Speed: Onkyo no doubt everything flows much better
- Android Version: Version 4 of Android is like Windows Vista. Not sure why they decided for that version. As it was plagued with Battery Management, Wi-Fi and Response Speed Issues. The Onkyo 5.1 addresses a lot of these issues

Cayin attention to bugs and improvements are great. But I think these are mostly due to Andy Kong actively monitoring the Cayin Thread and providing awesome real time response with an always professional attitude. Onkyo does not have an Andy Kong and will leave it at that

If Cayin would go for a firmware update that moves this unit to Android 5.1 or 6.0 it would really make this unit an "all-rounder". I think the OS version is "burdening" the performance of the unit

Onkyo unit as it is a great option. For $589 you get all of this is a fantastic choice. If they follow suit with an additional OS upgrade they could become dominant in 2017

However, as you see Phones like LG V20, Xiaomi Mi Mix come out with further enhanced Hi Fi capabilities. Dedicated DAP manufacturers will need to step on the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back