ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 2, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #12,767 of 16,328
Nope , still testing on this. Using a Rhapsodio Solar 10 BA no external amp. A few things I have grasp:

a) In order to attain the same sound level I need to place the volume steps at Onkyo at 99 and Cayin i5 at 35 
b) No Gain settings used
c) The Cayin seems to insert some sparkle or brightness while the Onkyo seems more Neutral
d) The Onkyo is a bit darker (?) than the Cayin i5 if that is the right term.

By mistake on the Onkyo I press the Line Out Mode to On and I almost blew my head off :frowning2:

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #12,768 of 16,328
Nope , still testing on this. Using a Rhapsodio Solar 10 BA no external amp. A few things I have grasp:

a) In order to attain the same sound level I need to place the volume steps at Onkyo at 99 and Cayin i5 at 35 
b) No Gain settings used
c) The Cayin seems to insert some sparkle or brightness while the Onkyo seems more Neutral

By mistake on the Onkyo I press the Line Out Mode to On and I almost blew my head off :frowning2:

What about background noise ?

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #12,770 of 16,328
Does the DPx1 and DPX1A have the same software and hardware as Samsung Galaxy smartphones?  Would paying $600.00 for a DPX1 be a wise move or should I wait and pay full retail for the 1A whenit is available in the U.S.?  Would the old version be sufficient for a kind of noob or novice?

Thanks

Riley

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #12,771 of 16,328
@darveniza
That's a terrific set of posts and hugely appreciated. I wasn't considering the i5 as such, but it's just useful to hear solid comparisons.
Am really hoping someone soon is going to do a comparison between DP-X1A and the new Fiio X5iii.
Problem is, in terms of funtionality and features, they seem to be competing pretty much only directly with each other, so I imagine it might be a fair while before anyone gets around to trying both!

(NB: I'm not denigrating the i5, or indeed any other player; just referring to the fact of those two DAP's having 2 DACs, 2 micro-SD card slots, built in sound modification features, streaming, full size touchscreen etc etc.. They seem to be the only two DAPs out there, especially at the comparatively low price, that offer all of these in one package)
basshead.gif

I'm still trying to nail down exactly what the essential differences are, on paper (before any actual sound signature reviews etc).
So far, DP-X1 seems to have more sound-altering functions, such as ACG etc?
Better RAM and processor too.. Anything else?
But the X5iii can be used as a DAC with a laptop, has fast charging.
Not sure about player ability between the two (in terms of randomisation, gapless, file management and so on)?
If anyone more knowledgeable about both could chime in, I think there's many who would be interested to hear
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #12,772 of 16,328
So about 2 weeks ago I purchase this case from Amazon JP. It's one of the few cases that aren't leather-ish, but hard plastic. Got it in the mail today and I though I'd share some (rather poorly taken) photos if any one is interested in getting it.

Some comments with reference to my Dignis leather case.
1) The case is quite thin. It adds noticeably less thickness/bulk to the DP-X1 compared to the Diginis case.
2) The play/forward/back buttons are much easier to press and still retains that nice "click" compared. The power button is still a b.itch to press though. Probably because it's recessed.
3) The case can be a pain to remove. I was worried about snapping the case/my DP-X1 into two when attempting to remove the case for the first time.
4) It probably won't protect the DP-X1 against drops as well as the Dignis. Hard plastic vs. soft, thicker leather.
5) Some parts of the case doesn't fit snuggly as shown below. You can see a gap between the case and where the headpone sockets are. Not really a major issue but still...

Overall, it's still a good case. I'm gonna use this over the Dignis since it's noticeably thinner than the Dignis.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #12,773 of 16,328
Even with the leather case, it's still thinner than most DAPs. DP-X1 is like a smartphone in my hands. very comfortable and the position of the buttons and the volume know is perfect for a righ-hander. I held back on DP-X1 when I first see it because I thought it was too large for a DAP than I used to see. As soon as I put it in my hands, it immediately changed my perspective. Turns out DP-X1 nailed the both software and physical UI for me.

On the other hand, the LPG is smaller build but bulky. However, it's controls are the simplest and I appreciate listening to music more as it does not distract you from listening because there is not much to fiddle around. Just powerful, clean and detailed music.

To me DP-X1A and LPG complements each other. Soon I may sell everything else except these 2 and the Hugo.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #12,774 of 16,328
  Does the DPx1 and DPX1A have the same software and hardware as Samsung Galaxy smartphones?  Would paying $600.00 for a DPX1 be a wise move or should I wait and pay full retail for the 1A whenit is available in the U.S.?  Would the old version be sufficient for a kind of noob or novice?

Thanks

Riley

I would suggest to get the DP-X1A, some problems of the DP-X1 are fixed (moving connectors) - you could get it from Japan (amazon.jp) for much less than $600 within couple days if you don't mind the warranty in Japan. I paid $475 and pretty happy with it.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #12,775 of 16,328
  Does the DPx1 and DPX1A have the same software and hardware as Samsung Galaxy smartphones?

May not be entirely relevant, but I believe Onkyo were planning to release a smartphone version of the DP-X1(A?).
Marketing stuff was released earlier last year, but I haven't heard anything since then?
Anyone heard anything new/recent about this? It might persuade me to hold off on buying the DP-X1A for a while if it's definitely happening (and depending on specs/performance etc).

I figure a DP-X1A smartphone would make an awesome all-in-one portable solution for days where light weight and low bulk are required!
beyersmile.png

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #12,776 of 16,328
  May not be entirely relevant, but I believe Onkyo were planning to release a smartphone version of the DP-X1(A?).
Marketing stuff was released earlier last year, but I haven't heard anything since then?
Anyone heard anything new/recent about this? It might persuade me to hold off on buying the DP-X1A for a while if it's definitely happening (and depending on specs/performance etc).

I figure a DP-X1A smartphone would make an awesome all-in-one portable solution for days where light weight and low bulk are required!
beyersmile.png

It's called the DP-X11. It's a brave move considering most people will see it as a phone and will be judged as a phone. If DP-X1A is an indication of the physical dimension I think it will have a hard time convincing non-audiophiles. On the other hand, if they make the dimension/build closer to a normal phone. They might be forced to compromise on the analog circuits and might fall short of audiophiles expectations.

I hope they get it right though. Personally, I don't like to use my phone as my DAP. As much as I love how far the smartphone have evolved throughout the years, I still want a standalone DAP. Everything else I leave it to my smartphone.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #12,777 of 16,328

b) No Gain settings used

are you sure use the same gain setting in onkyo and i5?
to my ear, i5 is more warm and dpx1 lil bit bright

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #12,778 of 16,328
It seems to me that the DP-X1A is a regression in terms of background noise. It's not a big regression but is clearly heard with very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. The screen on the DP-X1A creates noise when turned on. It did not happen on the DP-X1. The background noise floor could also be very slightly higher on DP-X1A. Not a very big issue but a point to note.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #12,779 of 16,328
Yep,I am using offline Tidal and it's a 60/40 mix on when the dark/brightness. I will keep listening.

I had some Andromeda's this weekend a friend's unit and I used them , I did not get any noise. With the Pioneer XDP 100 , noise was noticeable.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #12,780 of 16,328
Layman1, I think one of your key points is features per price. Both Cayin and Onkyo are great buys. For someone about to pull the trigger I would say the Onkyo as this is a end Version and they have corrected multiple 1st build issues.

If Cayin would issue one "big" firmware update and move this device to Android 5.0 it would correct some of the lag and battery issues.

I think is money well spent compared to the traditional non Android DAP's

I know people will throw back spec's ,etc. But being able to discover music continuously on your own or curated by the means of Deezer, Tidal and Spotify is awesome.

On the Onkyo I read my news while listening to new music, keeping my smartphone for work stuff :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back