ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #12,346 of 16,326
  Just tried to update firmware and it jumped to Custom Recovery after reboot (as I previously rooted the device)
Anyone can enlighten me the way to update with a rooted device?

Hi Johnny.

From my old days flashing android phones, you can't update the firmware on a rooted device,not sure if it's the same with DP-X!?

Anyone else wish to confirm this?

Regards Steve

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #12,347 of 16,326

Hi Johnny.

From my old days flashing android phones, you can't update the firmware on a rooted device,not sure if it's the same with DP-X!?

Anyone else wish to confirm this?

Regards Steve

On my rooted Nexus 5 & 7, I've only updated from one version of CyanogenMod to the next - never tried to "update" using a regular Android release on top of CM - since I'm pretty sure that won't work.

I suspect we will have to un-root the DP-X1, install the update, and then hope the "1. Enhanced  Android system security." doesn't block the adb fastboot root / install SuperSU process that worked before.

I like root enough that I'm holding off on installing the update, until I know that the DP-X1 can still be rooted afterwards.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #12,348 of 16,326
  On my rooted Nexus 5 & 7, I've only updated from one version of CyanogenMod to the next - never tried to "update" using a regular Android release on top of CM - since I'm pretty sure that won't work.

I suspect we will have to un-root the DP-X1, install the update, and then hope the "1. Enhanced  Android system security." doesn't block the adb fastboot root / install SuperSU process that worked before.

I like root enough that I'm holding off on installing the update, until I know that the DP-X1 can still be rooted afterwards.

Take Care,
David Baldock

for that purpose (and not only that) you had to do a recovery backup and backup for original boot+system.

don't remember that guides i made force user to immediately flash twrp. it boots through fastboot first.

anyway your update workflow would look like that:

#1 recover old backup boot+recovery+system.
#2 boot dp-x1 and update firmware
#3 boot twrp through fastboot and do backups for new firmware (boot+system+recovery)
#4 flash twrp
#5 install supersu

works for me.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #12,349 of 16,326
Guys, how's the firmware doing? Any prevalent issue still?

Do you have any particular issue you are watching for? I don't have issues with DP-X1 but my use case is different from others. In fact this is the best non-apple DAP I have when it comes to software. It's not as simple as the AK DAPs but it it more versatile and very useful. Definitely better in terms of stability and features working in comparison to X7

So far the stock player works well. Bluetooth and wifi connection is as good as it gets on any mobile device I have. 

Well a few months ago, when I was still following the thread, people had some firmware issues with organization and sorting I believe. But my question was just general :wink:

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #12,350 of 16,326

for that purpose (and not only that) you had to do a recovery backup and backup for original boot+system.

don't remember that guides i made force user to immediately flash twrp. it boots through fastboot first.

anyway your update workflow would look like that:

#1 recover old backup boot+recovery+system.
#2 boot dp-x1 and update firmware
#3 boot twrp through fastboot and do backups for new firmware (boot+system+recovery)
#4 flash twrp
#5 install supersu

works for me.

Can you upload the old backup boot+recovery+system for me since I didn't do any backup back then

would be much appreciated

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #12,352 of 16,326
Originally Posted by DBaldock9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect we will have to un-root the DP-X1, install the update...

Take Care,
David Baldock

No mate, you don't have to, I OTA upgraded my rooted dp-x1 firmware a few hour ago. So far, so good. Might try to re-root it tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #12,353 of 16,326

The problem with me trying to write a detailed set of instructions is that they depend on your setup and library structure which I do not know. Also, I am really do not know much about using JRMC beyond just figuring out how to make this work. @bflat provided the basic information in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/9780#post_12687935.

A big part of this is that the playlists created can only include tracks that are on the same sdcard. If you want to create a playlist that includes tracks on both cards, you must split that list into two parts at this point. Export the playlist from JRMC as M3U Playlist (simple). If you have split the playlist into sdcard specific parts be sure to identify each part in the name (-1 or -2).

• Load the playlist into a text editor and edit the file path to match the file paths on the DP-X1. In my case, /Volumes/Music/Music Libraries/DAP Music Library (2 SD Cards)/SD1/Classic Country/Hank Williams/Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits/1-03 Lovesick Blues.m4a gets changed to Classic Country/Hank Williams/Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits/1-03 Lovesick Blues.m4a.
  • Save the edited playlist from the text editor using Save As with the settings Line Breaks = Windows (CRLF) and Encoding = Unicode (UTF-8).
  • Copy the playlist to the root directory of the sdcard its tracks are on.
  • Open the DP-X1 Player and wait for the library scan to complete. Go to the playlist section of the library. At the bottom of the list will be an Android section that should include your playlist. While I have described this for a single playlist, you can load all of your playlists in their respective sdcard root directory and they will all show up in the list.
  • Select your playlist and play the first track.
  • Go to the play queue and use the Save as playlist function to turn the queue into a saved playlist. If you had to split you original playlist into two parts because of tracks on multiple sdcards, long press the second part and select Add to the playlist and add it to the playlist you just created.
  • Delete the playlist from the root directory of the sdcard

Your playlist will now be available in the DP-X1 library and the Android section playlists will be gone from the list (because you deleted them from the sdcards). Why not just use the Android section playlists? @bflat explains that in his post. This is really all his work, not mine. I use Text Wrangler to edit the playlists and it works very well for a free editor. Good luck.

That's great, thank you very much, I shall have a go!

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #12,354 of 16,326
hi

just received in post this onkyo thing and im not happy, though its probably user error, it seems really quiet, i  have an astell kern ak100 mk 2 and its so much louder, im using sony mdr z7s, does this have a volume cap , can it be removed , please help im feeling pretty mortified presently and just joined as someone may be able to help,

appreciated

J

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #12,356 of 16,326
I can really recommend iSyncr by JRT studios to anyone that is managig his music with iTunes and is trying to sync the whole library including smart playlists to his DP-X1. I have 40000+ tracks and dozens of smart playlists in my iTunes library that I managed to sync to my X1 across 2 SD cards and the internal memory with relative ease compared to other syncing options.. I would be really surprised if there was an easier way or software to achieve this. I would also be willing to make a youtube video tutorial on it if people cant figure out how to use the software.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #12,359 of 16,326
hi

just received in post this onkyo thing and im not happy, though its probably user error, it seems really quiet, i  have an astell kern ak100 mk 2 and its so much louder, im using sony mdr z7s, does this have a volume cap , can it be removed , please help im feeling pretty mortified presently and just joined as someone may be able to help,

appreciated

J

Do you have it on high gain?

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #12,360 of 16,326
i think i put it on low gain

someone told me a euro volume cap is implemented on it , but a new update will give you the option to remove it , [though i  cant see anything to back up these claims..]

any tips to help with volume would be great, i heared it was powerful but my little ak100 absolutely slays it on volume, [not much in sound quality difference, ak100 definitely no worse ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back