ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #12,361 of 16,326
  i think i put it on low gain

someone told me a euro volume cap is implemented on it , but a new update will give you the option to remove it , [though i  cant see anything to back up these claims..]

any tips to help with volume would be great, i heared it was powerful but my little ak100 absolutely slays it on volume, [not much in sound quality difference, ak100 definitely no worse ]

High gain gives more volume.

To overcome Euro cap select Variable Line Level in settings. If you don't see that option then you need to upgrade the FW.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #12,363 of 16,326

Turn on EQ then take everything down by 6 dB. Some mastering was so bad that they are way past the clipping point.

Looks like turning on the EQ, even without adjusting the gain at all, and setting the digital filter to short is eliminating nearly all of the red flashes without sacrificing (audible) sound quality. Thanks for the help.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #12,365 of 16,326

for that purpose (and not only that) you had to do a recovery backup and backup for original boot+system.

don't remember that guides i made force user to immediately flash twrp. it boots through fastboot first.

anyway your update workflow would look like that:

#1 recover old backup boot+recovery+system.
#2 boot dp-x1 and update firmware
#3 boot twrp through fastboot and do backups for new firmware (boot+system+recovery)
#4 flash twrp
#5 install supersu

works for me.

Thanks!

No mate, you don't have to, I OTA upgraded my rooted dp-x1 firmware a few hour ago. So far, so good. Might try to re-root it tomorrow.

You're right!

I was able to download & install the Firmware update; and then reinstall TWRP / SuperSu / Xposed Framework / BusyBox / Viper4Android.
It did require re-doing the procedure of creating the shell script that sets SELINUX to Permissive, for the Viper4Andriod Sound Server Drivers to work.
Everything seems to be working, at least as well as it was before the update.  
atsmile.gif

My DP-X1 had really reduced Bluetooth range (just a foot or two, if any part of a human was in the way) - not sure if the double-layer leather ZZOZZ case is contributing to the problem, or not.  Over the weekend, I'll do some testing - with and without the case - to see if the Firmware update made any improvements to the Bluetooth performance.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #12,366 of 16,326
just a note to say i  sorted the volume issue by changing the line variable switch or whatever it was called and volume is loud enough now , thanks very much for the advice to those who wrote , i  have to say i prefer my astell and kern little ak100mk2 , but different things really, and early days with onkyo, so unfair comparison, basically , i hate change, and thats the only issue i have with the onkyo.

should have bought the ak300 really, any vs threads on ak300 and onkyo, id be interested to find out how they compare

many thanks

J.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #12,367 of 16,326
  just a note to say i  sorted the volume issue by changing the line variable switch or whatever it was called and volume is loud enough now , thanks very much for the advice to those who wrote , i  have to say i prefer my astell and kern little ak100mk2 , but different things really, and early days with onkyo, so unfair comparison, basically , i hate change, and thats the only issue i have with the onkyo.

should have bought the ak300 really, any vs threads on ak300 and onkyo, id be interested to find out how they compare

many thanks

J.

If you have the ability to use the balanced output on the DP-X1, try that.  Many people seem to think the single ended output is just ok, but the balanced output is superb.  I also have an AK100ii and the DP-X1 sounds significantly better to me when using the balanced out, especially to my HE1000s, through my V281 headphone amp.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #12,368 of 16,326
i got some balanced kimber cable for my sony headphones but they have 2 ends so i cant use them, i dont understand how you can use balanced headphones on the unit as it only has 1 headphone jack,

sorry , but im an idiot on techy stuff ,i  just like to plug and play sort of , im ashamed to say i  dont know how to open the bonnet of my car either...
 i have sony heaphones mdr z7 and the stock cables ie single ended and balanced stock cable ,

and also the kimber balanced

is it that i have to add an amp ?

Sony MUC-B20BL1 Headphone Cable

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #12,369 of 16,326
i got some balanced kimber cable for my sony headphones but they have 2 ends so i cant use them, i dont understand how you can use balanced headphones on the unit as it only has 1 headphone jack,

sorry , but im an idiot on techy stuff ,i  just like to plug and play sort of , im ashamed to say i  dont know how to open the bonnet of my car either...
 i have sony heaphones mdr z7 and the stock cables ie single ended and balanced stock cable ,

and also the kimber balanced

is it that i have to add an amp ?

Sony MUC-B20BL1 Headphone Cable

Best you can do is order a new (balanced) cable. Simply tell them what dap and headphones you have and you'll receive the correct cable.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #12,375 of 16,326
Aaargh!  I previously posted that I wasn't having any "blips" or micro-pauses when playing back offline "HiFi" quality songs that I had downloaded to a micro SD card using Tidal.  Well, that was the first DP-X1 I tried but sent back because it had loose jacks.  I just tried again using my new DP-X1 and now I have the dreaded "blips."  All settings are the same as my first DP-X1 and I'm using the same micro SD card.  I can "rewind" the song a bit and replay the part that had the glitch and it replays flawlessly.  I use offline play when travelling so this is definitely problematic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back