ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #12,331 of 16,326
I think I may return mine. The clipping is annoying and no combination of things seems to eliminate it.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #12,332 of 16,326

I would be very grateful if you could detail these steps you go through. I have a Pioneer XDP-100R and am having the exact same issues with exporting playlists from JRMC,  I just don't know how to get it to work, especially across both SD cards.  Gone Mad Music Player seems to translate the paths itself, but I have not been successful with working out how to get the stock music app to recognise externally-created playlists, even editing them to what I though the correct paths should be. The playlists appear but are empty.  And where do you put the playlists, in the root of your defined music folder?

The problem with me trying to write a detailed set of instructions is that they depend on your setup and library structure which I do not know. Also, I am really do not know much about using JRMC beyond just figuring out how to make this work. @bflat provided the basic information in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/9780#post_12687935.

A big part of this is that the playlists created can only include tracks that are on the same sdcard. If you want to create a playlist that includes tracks on both cards, you must split that list into two parts at this point. Export the playlist from JRMC as M3U Playlist (simple). If you have split the playlist into sdcard specific parts be sure to identify each part in the name (-1 or -2).

• Load the playlist into a text editor and edit the file path to match the file paths on the DP-X1. In my case, /Volumes/Music/Music Libraries/DAP Music Library (2 SD Cards)/SD1/Classic Country/Hank Williams/Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits/1-03 Lovesick Blues.m4a gets changed to Classic Country/Hank Williams/Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits/1-03 Lovesick Blues.m4a.
  • Save the edited playlist from the text editor using Save As with the settings Line Breaks = Windows (CRLF) and Encoding = Unicode (UTF-8).
  • Copy the playlist to the root directory of the sdcard its tracks are on.
  • Open the DP-X1 Player and wait for the library scan to complete. Go to the playlist section of the library. At the bottom of the list will be an Android section that should include your playlist. While I have described this for a single playlist, you can load all of your playlists in their respective sdcard root directory and they will all show up in the list.
  • Select your playlist and play the first track.
  • Go to the play queue and use the Save as playlist function to turn the queue into a saved playlist. If you had to split you original playlist into two parts because of tracks on multiple sdcards, long press the second part and select Add to the playlist and add it to the playlist you just created.
  • Delete the playlist from the root directory of the sdcard

Your playlist will now be available in the DP-X1 library and the Android section playlists will be gone from the list (because you deleted them from the sdcards). Why not just use the Android section playlists? @bflat explains that in his post. This is really all his work, not mine. I use Text Wrangler to edit the playlists and it works very well for a free editor. Good luck.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #12,333 of 16,326

As easy as press-hold a track, then a menu pops up with the option to add to a Playlist. The next popup list the available playlist or create a new one where you wan the song you just selected.

You must be using the library-view to create a playlist. I don't think it is supported in Folder view.

It works for tracks, Albums, Artist, etc. and it does work in the folder view also. It is actually very easy to create playlists on the DP-X1.

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #12,335 of 16,326

The stock music app does recognise the disk number tag if that's what you mean. If you have both CDs tagged with the same artist and album name and the disk number tags are set correcrtly, the tracks appear in the right order under the album.  I don' tknow how iTunes tags multi-disc albums though.

I have the file name of multi disc album songs as 1-01, 1-02 for disc 1 and 2-01 and 2-02 for disc to songs.  It is not tagged in the track title only the filename.  I tagged each disc in the metadata itself. as well.  Would this show up in order of track then disc or would it show up by file name like it does in category view on my Fiio X5?  That is one of my very few issues with my X5?

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #12,337 of 16,326

Saw this link on the HK site http://www.hk.onkyo.com/en/support/searchresult?code=DP-X1&tab=gj

Summary from website

FW version: 0.1.37.8

The update contains the following changes:

1. Enhanced  Android system security.
2. Enhanced read SD card stability.
3. Enhanced the LCD panel brightness adjustment.
4. Added the new item in “Gain setting”.

Remark: “Low” is default setting, however “High” is default setting after firmware updated, please beware of the volume.

I wonder whether "1. Enhanced  Android system security." breaks the adb fastboot process for installing TWRP and rooting the device?
I won't be trying the update, until I've heard that the DP-X1 can still be rooted.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Take Care

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #12,338 of 16,326

Hmmnn, what is it you hear that you refer to as clipping? do you have your volume at near max value (160)?

Thank you for taking an interest in this. I am quite frustrated.

"Clipping" may not be the right word. What happens is the the EQ screen flashes red, whatever that means. Elsewhere people have said that relates to the amp clipping. If I am being honest, I don't know if I am actually hearing something or just expecting to hear something when it flashes red. Regardless, it sometimes seems to have a bitcrushing effect prior to the red flashes (it's not quite real time).

Using a 16bit FLAC of "The Ectopic Stroll" by Between the Buried and Me as a test sample. It clips on a lot of material, but this song produces a red flash very close to the beginning.

Here's the stuff that had no effect on the clipping:
System update.
Line-out vs headphone out.
Volume, gain, or lock range adjustments.
Very sensitive vs less sensitive earphones.
Using an external amp or powered speakers.

Here's what seems to reduce it:
Turning on EQ (without changing any settings; hell, even raising settings is okay).
Changing the digital filter from Sharp to Short.

These help moderately, but there are stills occasional flashes.

So... what the hell is going on? It doesn't seem to be an amping issue. But, if this thing is clipping this bad with default settings, that's poor design. Then, again, does any even know what the red flash means?

Any advice on this would be extremely appreciated.

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #12,339 of 16,326

"Clipping" may not be the right word. What happens is the the EQ screen flashes red, whatever that means. Elsewhere people have said that relates to the amp clipping. If I am being honest, I don't know if I am actually hearing something or just expecting to hear something when it flashes red. Regardless, it sometimes seems to have a bitcrushing effect prior to the red flashes (it's not quite real time).

Using a 16bit FLAC of "The Ectopic Stroll" by Between the Buried and Me as a test sample. It clips on a lot of material, but this song produces a red flash very close to the beginning.

System update.

Turning on EQ (without changing any settings; hell, even raising settings is okay).

So... what the hell is going on? It doesn't seem to be an amping issue. But, if this thing is clipping this bad with default settings, that's poor design. Then, again, does any even know what the red flash means?

When you play these FLAC files on other devices, everything sounds OK?

Take Care,
David Baldock

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #12,340 of 16,326
Yep. I run them through my D14 DAC/amp, which has the same DAC chip. No audible clipping, though there are differences in the sound signature/staging/etc.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #12,342 of 16,326

System update.

Hey man,

The only time I ever saw this red flashing behaviour on the DP-X1 was when I boosted too much in the EQ. I would go back to the EQ and make sure everything there is set to OFF or at least below 0dB gain. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #12,343 of 16,326
  Hey man,

The only time I ever saw this red flashing behaviour on the DP-X1 was when I boosted too much in the EQ. I would go back to the EQ and make sure everything there is set to OFF or at least below 0dB gain. 

The weird thing is that turning ON the EQ cuts down on the red flashing, even when raising the gain in EQ. I've tried setting everything to flat, turning it off, and then disabling DSP, but that doesn't make things better. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #12,345 of 16,326

The weird thing is that turning ON the EQ cuts down on the red flashing, even when raising the gain in EQ. I've tried setting everything to flat, turning it off, and then disabling DSP, but that doesn't make things better. 

Turn on EQ then take everything down by 6 dB. Some mastering was so bad that they are way past the clipping point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back