ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 5, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #12,391 of 16,328
Just got a DPX1A firmware update 0.1.37.8

The update contains the following changes:

1. Enhanced Android system security.
2. Enhanced read SD card stability.
3. Enhanced the LCD panel brightness adjustment.
4. Added the new item in “Gain setting”.

Remark: “Low” is default setting, however “High” is default setting after firmware updated, please beware of the volume.

My DP-X1 was updated too. But honestly, i didn't find any of the changes as a problem before. I just want the USB DAC function. Please please Onkyo.

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #12,393 of 16,328
Anyone uses the DP-X1 with a portable amp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. With the iBasso P5 Falcon. Why?

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #12,394 of 16,328
Has anyone with a rooted device successfully installed the firmware update? Do you have to re-root after updating?

[EDIT]
Sorry, found the solution on a previous page. @damex: thx for uploading your recovery image. Do you really need to flash this first, or might TWRP be able to update the system? Did you successfully update your device? : )

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #12,395 of 16,328
Hi anyone can advice on dp-x1a? Currently considering between this and ak70. Had a dpx1 earlier but sold it off because I was worried about the loose jack. Personally think ak70's weight and size is a huge plus lack of Spotify is a thing too...

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #12,396 of 16,328
Just got a DPX1A firmware update 0.1.37.8

The update contains the following changes:

1. Enhanced Android system security.
2. Enhanced read SD card stability.
3. Enhanced the LCD panel brightness adjustment.
4. Added the new item in “Gain setting”.

Remark: “Low” is default setting, however “High” is default setting after firmware updated, please beware of the volume.

how do you know this change logs? where do I can find this ? the device reboot after finished downloading the fw updates.
I just updated my dpx1B, same fw 0.1.37.8
now dpx1b have 4 gain settings too just link dpx1a
after I updated mine, the gain setting still in normal setting.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #12,397 of 16,328
Dec 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #12,398 of 16,328

how do you know this change logs? where do I can find this ? the device reboot after finished downloading the fw updates.
I just updated my dpx1B, same fw 0.1.37.8
now dpx1b have 4 gain settings too just link dpx1a
after I updated mine, the gain setting still in normal setting.

From a previous post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/12315#post_13053089

thanks!
did you feel the difference sounds with the new firmware updates?

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #12,400 of 16,328
Dec 5, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #12,403 of 16,328
Just wondering if I'm purely using IEM will the addition of a portable amp improves the overall SQ or the internal amp is more than sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask yourself the question, do you like the sound coming out from a particular external amp or do you like how iems sound out of your DP-X1?

If you add an external amp it should provide more power than DP-X1 can provide or you want the amp's signature which in this case the DP-X1 may not matter much cause other DAPs paired with the amp will be as good. 

The dual amps are more than enough, but if you want bass boost (bass head) or a different amp signature you can use an external amp like oppo HA2 or mojo.

Or a more cheaper option to boost bass and still avoid a stack, use the EQ, which DP-X1 already has and a very good one.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #12,404 of 16,328
The dual amps are more than enough, but if you want bass boost (bass head) or a different amp signature you can use an external amp like oppo HA2 or mojo.

I am tempted to agree with this. For most IEMs, the Onkyo has enough power. I like to amp my Sony MDR-XB90EX IEMs because they have big dynamic drivers and I think the low end comes out better with a bit more power.

For headphones... Well, it might. But, I like to be sure and run an external amp. For planars, it has never crossed my mind to not use an external amp.

One thing to consider that I just discovered is that the Onkyo has crosstalk at -75 db when you use it to run headphones, but crosstalk is at -120 db when using it as a DAC and line it out to an external amp. Depending on the external amp's own crosstalk, you could see a huge improvement in soundstage and imaging.

Ask yourself the question, do you like the sound coming out from a particular external amp or do you like how iems sound out of your DP-X1?

If you add an external amp it should provide more power than DP-X1 can provide or you want the amp's signature which in this case the DP-X1 may not matter much cause other DAPs paired with the amp will be as good.

This is sage advice from headwhacker. Your own ears must be the ultimate judge.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #12,405 of 16,328

I am tempted to agree with this. For most IEMs, the Onkyo has enough power. I like to amp my Sony MDR-XB90EX IEMs because they have big dynamic drivers and I think the low end comes out better with a bit more power.

For headphones... Well, it might. But, I like to be sure and run an external amp. For planars, it has never crossed my mind to not use an external amp.

One thing to consider that I just discovered is that the Onkyo has crosstalk at -75 db when you use it to run headphones, but crosstalk is at -120 db when using it as a DAC and line it out to an external amp. Depending on the external amp's own crosstalk, you could see a huge improvement in soundstage and imaging.

Doesn't matter if DP-X1 has a very good crosstalk, if it will only be negated by the external amp. Also using DP-X1's balanced output already has very good crosstalk performance. It think it's already below -100dB. -75dB is already good to begin with.

I'm not sure if Onkyo did it intentionally but the balanced out make things appear spot on compared to the single ended jack not just delivering more voltage swing. It drives full-size headphones (HD800) just like a desktop amp. Full-bodied, tight, hard hitting bass.

To be honest, DP-X1 is making me think if I no longer need my Hugo/Mojo/AK320+Amp. I already find it can drive anything I have from iems to HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back