ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #9,541 of 16,326

I cannot answer that fairly as I have not heard that particular Grado headphone, so instead I will give you a summary of what I think are the best DAP's on the market, and the best way too see each within your budget:

If we are only talking about sound quality, and nothing else, Questyle QP1R, Astell and Kern's AK70/AK300/AK320/AK380, Lotoo Paw Gold, Onkyo DP-X1, and a few other's I've forgotten at the moment, are what I would pick as absolutely the best sounding DAP's on the market currently.

For me, any headphone will sound amazing on the DP-X1.

If you cannot afford DP-X1, I would not recommend FiiO X7 at present. There are two other DAP's that beat it:

1. Astell & Kern AK70 (announced very recently, out soon)
  2. Pioneer XDP-100R

So, if you are looking at the FiiO X7 and it's current price, I would choose between these similarly priced AK70, or XDP-100R DAP instead.
AK70 might be the best of the cheapest, most powerful balanced DAP's available on the planet, and it also will work with certain AK accessories such as the AK CD Ripper.
XDP-100R is virtually the same as DP-X1 but is only single-ended. Outside of that, it is the other most feature rich DAP currently available, and because it is Android based can stream music from Apps such as YouTube, Spotify and Tidal, amongst others.

Increasing your budget towards the DP-X1 price:

If I wanted to see an alternative DAP to the DP-X1 at a similar price, I would choose QP1R or AK300.
Of these three, QP1R is better in only sound quality.
For the most advanced features on the planet, DP-X1 is better than both, Android based, streaming, etc.
For using multiple accessories and adding more power, the AK300 is great, but will cost a lot if getting this DAP with any of the below accessories:

1. AK380 Amp
  2. AK380 Dock
  3. AK Recorder
  4. AK CD Ripper
(All of these work with the AK300, AK320 and AK380 DAP's, which is what sets this line of DAP's separately from other DAP's).

This may help you decide what DAP to look at, but remember, features and sound quality are different to everyone, so go for what best suits you, your lifestyle, and your tastes.

^^

thanks and what about Sony ZX2?

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #9,542 of 16,326
DSD (DSF / DSD-IFF) / FLAC / ALAC / WAV / AIFF / Ogg Vorbis, MP3 / AAC / MQA

so, dpx1 didn't support ape files playback? 
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #9,543 of 16,326
  thanks and what about Sony ZX2?

I'm not the guy you were responding to, but with the Sony ZX2 you'd probably better plan to use IEMs with that. The ZX2 really doesn't have that much power to drive headphones (in my experience, it didn't even do too well with the MDR-Z7 headphones), though in exchange it has better battery life than a lot of DAPs out there.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #9,545 of 16,326
Totally agree, Dignis craftsmanship is outstanding. Also got a case for my Mojo. DP-X1 and Mojo look stunning together Dignis clad. Wish they would make a case for my new B&O BeoPlay A1 bluetooth speaker...

Just to echo this and what's been said before. Without a case, I detest the dap's form factor, it's terrible IMO. With the case, whole different and beautiful animal. Thank you, Dignis!

-Dirk

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #9,551 of 16,326
Jun 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,553 of 16,326
Jun 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #9,554 of 16,326
Sorry guys, I'm reeling from the UK/EU referendum, and I'm basically too exhausted from annoyance, so back to music and games.

Will be back later.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #9,555 of 16,326
Haven't read through here in the last couple weeks. Is the streaming distortion problem fixed? Any good updates to the software that have fixed anything?

Thinking about picking this up again as I was not at all impressed with the AK380.

I wonder if they can enable Native DSD through any firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back