ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #9,511 of 16,328
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #9,512 of 16,328

Oh no, I'm sorry, what I wrote was not a dig at all.

I've posted numerous times which aftermarket headphone cable manufacturer's I recommend, and Forza AudioWorks is on my list because I respect them and feel they deserve to be noted and recommended.
I personally feel Double Helix Cables is the best but when recommending cables, I have a list of companies to suit everyone's tastes and budgets.

So when I meant a cable at a budget, referring to Forza, my point was to have an audiophile cable without breaking the bank.

Likewise, I am troubled by some prices on cables. Though Double Helix Cables seem expensive, I have come to understand that DHC sell cables with real workmanship and R&D. However, I am not sure if I can say the same for Nordost, or even the new Kimber Kable Axios line, which are very expensive but don't, from the specs and what I read, compete against similarly priced DHC cables (I do love the wood parts used on Axios however, but still concerned on cost).

Forza AudioWorks may not be cables I use, but they are a manufacturer I respect, as they seem to envisage what DHC does; quality cables backed with real science and technology, without snake-oil marketing. Plus, iFi Audio LOVE Forza AudioWorks!

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier...

I'm not very technical educated about cables. 
I have ordered mine (for OPPO PM3) at Surf Cables LLC and find them good quality for a good price.
I'm very curious what your thoughts are about these cables.
I have just received them for my HE1000 and for the HD800 and listening to them now...

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #9,513 of 16,328
  I'm not very technical educated about cables. 
I have ordered mine (for OPPO PM3) at Surf Cables LLC and find them good quality for a good price.
I'm very curious what your thoughts are about these cables.
I have just received them for my HE1000 and for the HD800 and listening to them now...

Sorry dude, I am not knowledgeable about all cables out there.

I have heard good things about Surf Cables silver-plated line of headphone cables, but with little description on how their cables are actually constructed, and never testing them, I cannot give a fair opinion.

Maybe someone else can?

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #9,515 of 16,328
  @TheOneInYellow

Hope, my wife willnot find these your photo....
Cable so gorgeous, that soon I will hear : "Daaarling, you know what I saw?" .....
And bye bye my dreams :)

LOL hahaha, STOP MAKING ME BLUSH you tease you x

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #9,517 of 16,328

Yeah, UK uni Archery competitions at the Isle of Man, with stupendous amount of booze, was the GREATEST IDEA EVER said no one ever except said drunken uni archers WOOT! -_-
Lol, so your friend was an amazing, fun-loving, amazeballs person, until he got an arrow to the knee :wink:

(Source: Peter Took An Arrow To The Knee by EliteSaiyanWarrior).

The Simaudio Moon 430HA (or 430HAD with DAC) is one of the most amazing headphone amps and preamp in the world, and deserves more praise.
Personally, my dream amps are one of four:
  1. iFi Audio Pro iCan
  2. Pass Labs HPA-1 balanced (which they said they are thinking about. Currently only the SE HPA-1 exists...)
  3. Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
  4. Cavalli Audio Tungsten (SOOOO WANT!)

I am getting the Cavalli Audio Carbon, and will use DHC cables to connect DP-X1 to Carbon.

^^

Really interested to hear how is dp-x1 couple with Cavalli Audio Carbon.  My favorite amp right now is the Ortofon Ta-Q7 which is a tube amp about 600mW

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #9,518 of 16,328
Hey Guy,
I order my DP-X1 from Premium Japan via Amazon. It shipped in 3 days, but the 3.5mm jack was loose so I had to send it back. I've heard of people having problems with the 2.5mm, but not the 3.5mm. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #9,520 of 16,328

Jackpot
frown.gif

Now, what to do?

Got it from Japan and had already send it back once for jack issues. Back then it was not a piece of cheap, badly engineered and broken piece of plastic.

While the port still works I can hardly leave it like that...

Best part is that I'm going on a 4-week trip tomorrow

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #9,521 of 16,328
  More than enough power for my HD650's in balanced mode.

Depends how loud you like your playback level, obviously you like things somewhat quieter. I was able to play my 400i at almost full volume on the DP-X1 balanced. Mind you the 650 is more efficient, but given the higher impedance I'm not sure if the extra efficiency would make it much easier to power than the 400i, it might.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,522 of 16,328
  Hey Guy,
I order my DP-X1 from Premium Japan via Amazon. It shipped in 3 days, but the 3.5mm jack was loose so I had to send it back. I've heard of people having problems with the 2.5mm, but not the 3.5mm. Has anyone else had problems with this?

There were several reports of loose 3.5mm jacks, no failures that I know of, but certainly reports of loose jacks. You must have received an older version. If it comes back and the gaps are still there just do the acrylic fix as posted by Whitigir. Why wait for problems?

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #9,523 of 16,328
  Hey Guy,

I got my dp-x1 last year Dec.

The 3.5mm jack is loose that it is easy to insert. The is normal as long as it does not affect the sound.

The 3.5mm jack is loose that you can shake the jack after inserted an earphone. That is not normal.

Some jacks are very tight to insert, but it is design to be. Some jacks are easy to insert (but stationary) , it is fine as the only thing that keep your jack contact to electricity is the inner contact plates.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,524 of 16,328
  Hey Guy,

Jackpot
frown.gif

Now, what to do?

Got it from Japan and had already send it back once for jack issues. Back then it was not a piece of cheap, badly engineered and broken piece of plastic.

While the port still works I can hardly leave it like that...

Best part is that I'm going on a 4-week trip tomorrow

There were several reports of loose 3.5mm jacks, no failures that I know of, but certainly reports of loose jacks. You must have received an older version. If it comes back and the gaps are still there just do the acrylic fix as posted by Whitigir. Why wait for problems?

I got my dp-x1 last year Dec.

The 3.5mm jack is loose that it is easy to insert. The is normal as long as it does not affect the sound.

The 3.5mm jack is loose that you can shake the jack after inserted an earphone. That is not normal.

Some jacks are very tight to insert, but it is design to be. Some jacks are easy to insert (but stationary) , it is fine as the only thing that keep your jack contact to electricity is the inner contact plates.

I posted about this pages back, so I am sorry to all those affected.

The most recent batches of new Onkyo DP-X1 units are available in Japan, (Hong Kong?), US, and soon EU and UK.
Every other batch from the past has weak plastic jack housings.

I don't know when the manufacturing stopped and resumed, but if I did, that would help narrow down when the new batches started to get released.

All you can do guys is go back to your place of purchase or importer.

PriceJapan, for example, wil now only repair, not replace, a DP-X1 under warranty, which was confirmed to me by them.

I am glad Onkyo has been listening and are resolving issues, but the issues of importing and international warranty were the risks involved for all early adopters, including myself.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #9,525 of 16,328
I was bothered by the little bit of play by the jack, it's just that every time I put the player on the table it would disconnect my headphones, but if I put pressure in the opposite direction it would connect again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back