ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 8, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #9,047 of 16,326
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. An absolute tremendous amount of great advice! I received my DP-X1 on Sunday and am well chuffed.

Basics of my set up:
  1. Shure SE846's
  2. Rooted (Kingroot), busybox, etc
  3. V4A Installed, DDC for SE846
  4. Using Native App / Alpha Poweramp (can't decide which I like better, very different sounds)
  5. af.resampler.quality=4 set
  6. All music lossless over 2 no. 200gb SD cards

Happy to report no washing machine sound, other than the normal background hiss I usually get with the IEM's in and not connected to anything (sea shell syndrome). The two plugs at the top (balanced and SE) are very firm and stable, with a barely imperceivable movement on the balanced. This causes me no concern so wondering if I'm just too forgiving or if they've improved this on later units?

Only thing I'm left to figure out is which balanced cable to go for to pair with me SE846's. I'm looking for a very low impedance cable, but the only one that seems to fit the bill (or have any published information about, really) is the linum super BAX which aren't in production yet for the MMCX to 2.5 TRRS configuration. Not about to pay $400 for the hand built version, either! I've asked a number of other cable manufacturers if they have any impedance info but haven't had any responses yet. Any advice for what would be a good (and not ludicrously expensive!) option for this DAP / IEM combo? 

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed - very very happy with my purchase as a result of all the advice, guidance, and feedback on this forum.

Only con, as far as I'm concerned, is the absolute **** form factor. I'm too used to smart phones and good hand feel, etc, to appreciate an effing sharp edged inelegant BOX. But given the fact that this isn't a mass produced device meant to sell millions of units, it's understandable. Still don't like it, though! 

-Dirk

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #9,048 of 16,326
The Pioneer app works great in my DP-X1! Thanks heaps!!! The bass enhancement is pretty useless though. Stopped using it after a few minutes but that's just me, not a fan of EQ either. Plenty of bass in my Oppo PM-3 in balanced mode.

Just done a quick A/B on PM-3 SE vs ACG. Lavri silver SE cable, Peterek Nucleotide balanced. ACG sounds more transparent, base is more refined and separation seems quite a bit better as well. Yet another experimental confirmation that balanced is the way to go to get the best of your DP-X1. YMMV of course.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #9,049 of 16,326
  Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who's contributed to this thread. An absolute tremendous amount of great advice! I received my DP-X1 on Sunday and am well chuffed.

Basics of my set up:
  1. Shure SE846's
  4. Using Native App / Alpha Poweramp (can't decide which I like better, very different sounds)

Happy to report no washing machine sound, other than the normal background hiss I usually get with the IEM's in and not connected to anything (sea shell syndrome). The two plugs at the top (balanced and SE) are very firm and stable, with a barely imperceivable movement on the balanced. This causes me no concern so wondering if I'm just too forgiving or if they've improved this on later units?

Only thing I'm left to figure out is which balanced cable to go for to pair with me SE846's. I'm looking for a very low impedance cable, but the only one that seems to fit the bill (or have any published information about, really) is the linum super BAX which aren't in production yet for the MMCX to 2.5 TRRS configuration. Not about to pay $400 for the hand built version, either! I've asked a number of other cable manufacturers if they have any impedance info but haven't had any responses yet. Any advice for what would be a good (and not ludicrously expensive!) option for this DAP / IEM combo? 

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed - very very happy with my purchase as a result of all the advice, guidance, and feedback on this forum.

Only con, as far as I'm concerned, is the absolute **** form factor. I'm too used to smart phones and good hand feel, etc, to appreciate an effing sharp edged inelegant BOX. But given the fact that this isn't a mass produced device meant to sell millions of units, it's understandable. Still don't like it, though! 

-Dirk

Welcome on board !   You may also try out the Neutron (with 64bit processing enabled) .

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #9,050 of 16,326
  • V4A Installed, DDC for SE846
  • Using Native App / Alpha Poweramp (can't decide which I like better, very different sounds)
  • af.resampler.quality=4 set

Hey, nice to see everything working so well for you!
+ You are probably hearing the very different sound between the native app and poweramp because V4A works with Poweramp but not the native app (turn V4A on and off to see)
+ I've recently had the chance to listen to the SE846 extensively and made my own compensation impulse response: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rj4co0rt05eizz/Shure%20SE846-foam-48k.irs?dl=0 Would be great to hear you try it and tell me how it sounds. (Turn off DDC when using this impulse response. Open the V4A menu, go to UI Setting and select Expert mode to show the Impulse Response menu. Tap on "Impulse Response" once for V4A to create its directory for storing impulse responses, then navigate to it (should be called VIPER4Android\Kernel someone on your device) and store the .irs file there.
+ Would the washing machine sound come out if af.resampler.quality=4 is deleted? Best way to listen to it is to turn the volume reallly low since apparently the noise doesn't get attenuated while the music does.
+ Yes, looks like the SE846 need a very low impedance source and cable (what with impedance dipping to like 5ohm at 5kHz). I think it's been said that the impedance of the balanced output is double that of the single-ended output--or am I confusing this with some other player here?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #9,051 of 16,326
  The Pioneer app works great in my DP-X1! Thanks heaps!!! The bass enhancement is pretty useless though. Stopped using it after a few minutes but that's just me, not a fan of EQ either. Plenty of bass in my Oppo PM-3 in balanced mode.

Just done a quick A/B on PM-3 SE vs ACG. Lavri silver SE cable, Peterek Nucleotide balanced. ACG sounds more transparent, base is more refined and separation seems quite a bit better as well. Yet another experimental confirmation that balanced is the way to go to get the best of your DP-X1. YMMV of course.

I like the UI of the Pioneer app more than the original Onkyo app.

Will do a test to see any SQ differences between the two.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #9,053 of 16,326
+ Would the washing machine sound come out if af.resampler.quality=4 is deleted? Best way to listen to it is to turn the volume reallly low since apparently the noise doesn't get attenuated while the music does.
+ Yes, looks like the SE846 need a very low impedance source and cable (what with impedance dipping to like 5ohm at 5kHz). I think it's been said that the impedance of the balanced output is double that of the single-ended output--or am I confusing this with some other player here?

Hi Joe,

I'm at work so haven't played with your IRS yet, will do this evening and see what's what. In terms of the washing machine sound, I dropped a # in front of the af.r, rebooted and fired up poweramp again and bam, tons of static at low volume which wasn't there with af.res engaged. 

I needed to pump up my gain to HIGH and find a quiet song (used portishead for this) and it's night and day. Lesson of the day, af.resampler.quality=4 = golden!

Regarding the impedance, yes - the DAP is rated at 0.5 for SE and 1 ohm for Balanced. The Linum balanced Super BAX is supposedly rated at 0.75 ohm iirc so while it's still above the magical 1/8th benchmark, not my much so impact should (fingers crossed?) be marginal on the manufacturers idealized FR. I probably wouldn't be able to hear a difference anyway but eff it, it's fun to tinker.

Cheers,

-Dirk

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #9,054 of 16,326
  I've extracted Music app from both Onkyo DP-X1 and Pioneer XDP-100R DAP's.
You can install and have both apps on X1, compare and use what You want:
com.opi.onkyo.dap_music.apk
com.opi.pioneer.dap_music.apk

PS Links are fixed.
PPS Pioneer Music app has very interesting Bass Boost Feature :wink:

Thank you, had been considering it for a little while now, might just give it a try, thanks for your efforts
beerchug.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #9,055 of 16,326

Welcome on board !   You may also try out the Neutron (with 64bit processing enabled) .

I didn't play around with this much as the volume wheel on the player only moves the volume up or down a couple of ticks and stops working, which means I can only adjust it with the on screen slider.

Irritated me so I removed it :p.

In my very brief listen (without 64 bit enabled, though) it sounded pretty similar to poweramp alpha but the gain differences were nutty. Poweramp is like, 85 and Neutron was waaaay higher to get to the same volume level (all on normal phone gain). Anyone tell me out to fix the volume knob issue with neutron and I'll give it another try. 

-Dirk

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #9,056 of 16,326
Hi Joe,

I'm at work so haven't played with your IRS yet, will do this evening and see what's what. In terms of the washing machine sound, I dropped a # in front of the af.r, rebooted and fired up poweramp again and bam, tons of static at low volume which wasn't there with af.res engaged. 

I needed to pump up my gain to HIGH and find a quiet song (used portishead for this) and it's night and day. Lesson of the day, af.resampler.quality=4 = golden!

Interesting that af.resampler.quality = 4 worked for you to solve the 3rd party music app sound quality. But quite a few other users reported that third party music apps won't work at all with this line added (they could of course remove the line to get things working again). Would you happen to know anything about that? :confused:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #9,057 of 16,326
I don't think what the Pioneer guy said about a 3rd DAC makes any sense either.

My bet on what's causing the "washing machine" noise is reproduced below:
Technically, I think what we're hearing is quantization / dither noise amplified by digital gain, and all will be fine if we turn down the digital gain and increase the output volume to compensate. How loud do 3rd party apps play compared to the Onkyo app? If they play louder, that would be a confirmation of sorts.

Anyway, this will probably be one of my last posts here as it seems I'll start working for another DAP company again
biggrin.gif
(see avatar)

Congratulations on the new role 
beerchug.gif

Your explanation makes a lot of sense and I had been hoping that someone who's already rooted would have a play. I'm away at a festival for a few days and decided to leave the Onkyo at home for safekeeping but I'm missing it already.

When I get back I'll explore the rooting and tweaking options.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #9,058 of 16,326
I didn't play around with this much as the volume wheel on the player only moves the volume up or down a couple of ticks and stops working, which means I can only adjust it with the on screen slider.

Irritated me so I removed it :p.

In my very brief listen (without 64 bit enabled, though) it sounded pretty similar to poweramp alpha but the gain differences were nutty. Poweramp is like, 85 and Neutron was waaaay higher to get to the same volume level (all on normal phone gain). Anyone tell me out to fix the volume knob issue with neutron and I'll give it another try. 

-Dirk

Can't use the volume wheel on Neutron. I used the on screen volume too.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #9,059 of 16,326
  I like the UI of the Pioneer app more than the original Onkyo app.

Will do a test to see any SQ differences between the two.

Agree, Pioneer has done a much better job designing the UI. Doubt there's any difference in sou do quality though as I suspect the apps share a lot of code.

I agree too with you guys.
UI in pioneer music player is easier to use than the onkyo itself. especially in dragging the song. next/previous.
and there's club sound boost (bass boosts) in pioneer music, it's really good I think. I don't know what's the meaning eco mode in there

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #9,060 of 16,326
  Hi all,

Basics of my set up:
  1. Shure SE846's

-Dirk

Are you using it with a case? I think it's essential, given how sharp the edges are. I think it would be borderline unusable for me without the case.

Have you asked Matthew at Forza?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back