ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #9,017 of 16,328
@addyg I find you continued asking of other members to not write there opinions very insulting and for that matter I have reported you to a moderator. I agree with other members that the fact that there are so many issues with a 700 dlls dap is inexcusable on onkyos part, and even do you continue to defend onkyo and his product in a fan boy matter I think others have been respectful of you comments

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #9,018 of 16,328
@addyg I find you continued asking of other members to not write there opinions very insulting and for that matter I have reported you to a moderator. I agree with other members that the fact that there are so many issues with a 700 dlls dap is inexcusable on onkyos part, and even do you continue to defend onkyo and his product in a fan boy matter I think others have been respectful of you comments

Comparing is a very useful aspect in any kind of discussion.

And I didn't feel the thread was being high-jacked by any user with their logical comparison with other DAPs.

I do feel that @addyg is overreacting here.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #9,019 of 16,328
Normally, comparison is good.

But, given the fact that when a problem from user arise. I see certain DAP just keep on comparing with dp-x1 .

I don't think it is normal in that way.

We have been comparing with Mojo for many opinions.

If you don't see certain DAP is just trying to AD on this post, that is fine.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #9,020 of 16,328
And that is you option, I don't agree with it but I respect it. We can't you do the same for others. Either way I am done cluttering up this forum it's up to the mods now. I own both by the way the onkyo and mojo, the x1 I got for a portable rig and because of the issues I have with it I can't use it as such and the mojo that I got for home is my portable rib along with a ak100 now, figure that one out.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #9,022 of 16,328
This may be old news but, for those suffering from glitches / stuttering during Tidal offline playback, I've found that it's substantially reduced when using internal storage rather than an SD card.  Not completely eliminated but much less common making it at least listenable.  Just to clarify, this is separate from the distortion issue with IEMs.  It's hard to keep all of the quality issues straight with this thing :/

I'm using SanDisk Ultra 200 GB and 64 GB cards.  I imagine this is a general SD card reading problem on the DP-X1 but has anyone found a particular SD card that doesn't stutter all the time with Tidal offline?

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #9,023 of 16,328
[Mod Comment]

I've just read the last 3-4 pages following a flagged post.  I have two options - give a gentle warning now - or have to go back and prune multiple posts.  I would prefer to simply leave the thread as-is and not have to go back.

• Whilst this is a thread primarily about the Onkyo DP X1 - there is no reason why discussion cannot include comparisons to other similar DAPs from any other manufacturer.  The important thing is that the discussion can't be about other DAPs in isolation - but comparison to the Onkyo is completely acceptable.

• The only ones who decide what is acceptable or unacceptable in this thread (or any other) are the Mods and Admins.

• @addyg - I am singling you out simply because you appear to have appointed yourself the thread moderator.  This stops now. You have no more rights in this thread as anyone else. You do not decide what is acceptable or what is not.

From this point on - if there is any more instances of anyone overstepping their bounds - please don't reply to the post or comment on it (that just leaves more for your friendly moderating team to clean up).  Simply report it, and if things continue, we'll take more permanent measures.

Thanks 

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #9,024 of 16,328
Speaking of this distortion, I tried pretty much everything everyone was saying and could never duplicate it. Someone recently mentioned decreasing the volume to 5 or lower and dangit if I dot hear the washing !machine running loud and clear. Now that I know what to listen for I can make it out on many lower volume tracks. Blah. Oh well, at least the stock player is noise free...and I don't do much streaming.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #9,025 of 16,328

I'm using SanDisk Ultra 200 GB and 64 GB cards.  I imagine this is a general SD card reading problem on the DP-X1 but has anyone found a particular SD card that doesn't stutter all the time with Tidal offline?

I believe you are correct in that it is an SD card read problem at the root of this issue.

Have you updated your Tidal app to the latest version? Whether by accident or design, this update significantly reduces the glitch/stutter problem. It's not completely eliminated but much more brief and infrequent.

Hope now turns to Spotify fixing the offline storage to SD card that they broke in their last update. Although that's also an Onkyo issue to some extent as it still works correctly on my smartphone.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #9,028 of 16,328
I believe you are correct in that it is an SD card read problem at the root of this issue.

Have you updated your Tidal app to the latest version? Whether by accident or design, this update significantly reduces the glitch/stutter problem. It's not completely eliminated but much more brief and infrequent.

Hope now turns to Spotify fixing the offline storage to SD card that they broke in their last update. Although that's also an Onkyo issue to some extent as it still works correctly on my smartphone.

Yep, updated to the latest Tidal and, you're right, it definitely improved but still stutters too often to listen to from SD. I would estimate a couple times per song but that could be inflated in my mind by the irritation factor :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #9,029 of 16,328
I don't think the SD cards are the problem to be honest. I stream from Tidal (which is downloaded to the internal storage, no SD card in the equation) and it has audible distortion and hiss. Especially noticeable when putting the volume down to around 5 or so. Someone did mention that third party apps like Tidal use the dual dac right? Is this confirmed? Cause my first guess would be the noise is caused from not using the 2 dacs like the default music player and its actually using the snapdragon dac which I could see causing some distortion especially when you consider how they separated the two PCB's.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #9,030 of 16,328
  I don't think the SD cards are the problem to be honest. I stream from Tidal (which is downloaded to the internal storage, no SD card in the equation) and it has audible distortion and hiss. Especially noticeable when putting the volume down to around 5 or so. Someone did mention that third party apps like Tidal use the dual dac right? Is this confirmed? Cause my first guess would be the noise is caused from not using the 2 dacs like the default music player and its actually using the snapdragon dac which I could see causing some distortion especially when you consider how they separated the two PCB's.

There are two separate issues Dillan, as mentioned by majormajor in his post above.

The noise/distortion is present at all times whether streaming, playing from internal storage, or playing from SD card.

The pausing and glitching in playback is only apparent when playing stored content from SD card.

Whether or not there is a separate audio path for third-party apps is not confirmed. There are plenty of opinions one way or another, but no definitive answer from the hardware designers that I am aware of.

Either way, the interference shouldn't be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back