ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #9,001 of 16,328
Yea my only complaint thus far is the background noise with apps like Tidal. I haven't fully tested it yet, but I did try standalone mode with no help.

Has anyone tried using airplane mode or something similar to disconnect all the connections first? I guess its hard to stream music that way
tongue.gif
but you could let it load the music first then disconnect. I will try to play with it a lot more!

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,003 of 16,328
Received my player at the weekend and had a quick listen with my Westone W60s and Rhapsodio Galaxys and was quite impressed.

Today, I picked up my Rhapsodio Solar's from the Post Office and being quite excited, I put them on my Onkyo and once outside the office, I pressed the play button and wahayyy, only sound from the left earpiece, now I was rather worried about being sold a dud.

Got indoors and tried the Solar's with a couple of other DAP's and no problem, performed excellently.  They just don't work properly with the DP-X1.

I also swapped the Galaxy RSD Sg 2.98 cable over and everything is absolutely fine.

Anyone know what might be causing this, because it's driving me mad.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #9,005 of 16,328
  Received my player at the weekend and had a quick listen with my Westone W60s and Rhapsodio Galaxys and was quite impressed.

Today, I picked up my Rhapsodio Solar's from the Post Office and being quite excited, I put them on my Onkyo and once outside the office, I pressed the play button and wahayyy, only sound from the left earpiece, now I was rather worried about being sold a dud.

Got indoors and tried the Solar's with a couple of other DAP's and no problem, performed excellently.  They just don't work properly with the DP-X1.

I also swapped the Galaxy RSD Sg 2.98 cable over and everything is absolutely fine.

Are you using the 3.5mm or 2.5mm jack?

Try inserting the plug fully and then, while playing a track, ease the plug back out a tiny fraction.

Another user did have a problem with the jack interface on the 2.5mm socket.

If this is the case, a plastic washer over the jack pin can be used to prevent it being fully inserted.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #9,006 of 16,328
  Random question: Does increasing the volume beyond 100 trigger any type of gain or db boost?

I don't believe so.

The 0-160 volume range is just marketing nonsense. I think A&K go to 140 or something like that, so Onkyo think they're going 'one better'.

Given that the volume difference with a single click is barely audible, there's no reason why 0-100 wouldn't have been perfectly satisfactory.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #9,007 of 16,328

I don't believe so.

The 0-160 volume range is just marketing nonsense. I think A&K go to 140 or something like that, so Onkyo think they're going 'one better'.

Given that the volume difference with a single click is barely audible, there's no reason why 0-100 wouldn't have been perfectly satisfactory.

Gotcha haha.

Thanks

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9,008 of 16,328

Are you using the 3.5mm or 2.5mm jack?

Try inserting the plug fully and then, while playing a track, ease the plug back out a tiny fraction.

Another user did have a problem with the jack interface on the 2.5mm socket.

If this is the case, a plastic washer over the jack pin can be used to prevent it being fully inserted.

Just using the standard 3.5 mate and when I ease the plug back, the sound does work on the right earpiece for a split second, then the jack comes right out and loses connection.

Not tried the 2.5 yet.

Thanks for you help mate.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #9,009 of 16,328

Random question: Does increasing the volume beyond 100 trigger any type of gain or db boost?

I don't believe so.

Personally, I believe that, to simulate an analog control, one click of digital volume should be totally imperceptible unless you know the volume button's been pressed :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #9,010 of 16,328
Personally, I believe that, to simulate an analog control, one click of digital volume should be totally imperceptible unless you know the volume button's been pressed
biggrin.gif

Simulating an analog control is a good way to think about it.

So, what a standard analog potentiometer, the one we've all been perfectly happy with for many decades, achieves in 270 degrees of rotation ...

... the DP-X1 click wheel requires over 4,700 degrees of rotation to achieve!

If that's considered progress, I think I'll go and join the Society of Luddites 
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9,011 of 16,328
For the volume, I think it is the control IC that offer 160 steps or more. So being a real music player, Onkyo decide to go for 160 steps (actually 161 I read somewhere).

I don't think people will mind fine tuning the volume.  Personally I don't.  For my IEM, its volume goes from 80 to 110 depends on the environment I sit in.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #9,012 of 16,328
If we can get back to how dp-x1 is used for users, I think it is good for this post.

I don't want to see every time there is a question from user, someone get on to compare with certain DAP. Certain DAP also has its own post and a lot of questions for itself , right?

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #9,013 of 16,328

Solar is 10 BA iem .  Could it be due to lack of power to drive it? 

Best method to try a earpods, if it works then the contact point of 3.5mm should be ok.

For high demanding IEM, I think it sometimes make the 75mW 3.5mm port not suitable to drive it properly.

As we all know 75mW @32 ohm is not a large figure.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #9,015 of 16,328

Solar is 10 BA iem .  Could it be due to lack of power to drive it? 

Best method to try a earpods, if it works then the contact point of 3.5mm should be ok.

For high demanding IEM, I think it sometimes make the 75mW 3.5mm port not suitable to drive it properly.

As we all know 75mW @32 ohm is not a large figure.

I doubt that.

This device drives my 8 BA Angie without any problem.

I suspect it's a jack connection problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back