ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #9,031 of 16,328

There are two separate issues Dillan, as mentioned by majormajor in his post above.

The noise/distortion is present at all times whether streaming, playing from internal storage, or playing from SD card.

The pausing and glitching in playback is only apparent when playing stored content from SD card.

Whether or not there is a separate audio path for third-party apps is not confirmed. There are plenty of opinions one way or another, but no definitive answer from the hardware designers that I am aware of.

Either way, the interference shouldn't be there.

Gotcha and yes the interference should not be there. I'm trying my best to help though. Maybe contacting Onkyo about some of these issues would help. Might not get a real answer but if enough people brought the attention to them, maybe something would come of it. I would at least like an answer to my dac question.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #9,033 of 16,328
I don't think the SD cards are the problem to be honest. I stream from Tidal (which is downloaded to the internal storage, no SD card in the equation) and it has audible distortion and hiss. Especially noticeable when putting the volume down to around 5 or so. Someone did mention that third party apps like Tidal use the dual dac right? Is this confirmed? Cause my first guess would be the noise is caused from not using the 2 dacs like the default music player and its actually using the snapdragon dac which I could see causing some distortion especially when you consider how they separated the two PCB's.

The reason I think that it's probably going through the sabres is because I use the 2.5 balanced connection. I would think if it were using the snapdragon DAC then there would be some issues with it working with the balanced out. Unless the snapdragon has its own way of analogizing (my word, gonna trademark it, don't touch!) the music and sending it out while bypassing both sabres.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #9,034 of 16,328
The reason I think that it's probably going through the sabres is because I use the 2.5 balanced connection. I would think if it were using the snapdragon DAC then there would be some issues with it working with the balanced out. Unless the snapdragon has its own way of analogizing (my word, gonna trademark it, don't touch!) the music and sending it out while bypassing both sabres.

Good point I'm not really sure.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #9,035 of 16,328
Anyone receive the DP-X1 from a US Distributor?  I just received mine from B&H Photo and upon opening the parcel box I noticed that the Onkyo DP-X1 manufacturer box did not have a seal or plastic wrap.  Usually this makes me kind of nervous as anyone could have opened the box and used the unit.  Did anyone's from a US Distributor have any seal or plastic on/around the manufacturer box?

Thanks.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #9,036 of 16,328
Jun 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #9,037 of 16,328
  Anyone reported streaming issues to Onkyo? We can talk and talk here and nothing will ever change if Onkyo won't be aware.

As soon as it's officially released in the UK (which should be any time now) I will contact Onkyo. I agree we should all push them for some explanation, and an understanding of whether it can be fixed.

There's a lot of sense in that and personally, while I know nothing about Android system design, I've never understood why there'd be a problem with third-party apps using the Sabre DACs. After all, I can connect an external DAC to my smartphone and have all apps play perfectly well through it. I may get better quality by bypassing the android audio system using something like USB APP, but the android system will still support the external DAC when necessary.

Elsewhere it has been claimed that Pioneer have stated that the Sabre DAC is not used by third-party apps on the sister player to the DP-X1. However, it will have been Pioneer's UK distributor making that statement. I find that manufacturer's representatives are often the worst at spreading misinformation as they may have little real detail of the products but want to appear knowledgable.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #9,038 of 16,328
  Anyone receive the DP-X1 from a US Distributor?  I just received mine from B&H Photo and upon opening the parcel box I noticed that the Onkyo DP-X1 manufacturer box did not have a seal or plastic wrap.  Usually this makes me kind of nervous as anyone could have opened the box and used the unit.  Did anyone's from a US Distributor have any seal or plastic on/around the manufacturer box?

Thanks.

I just got mine in today and it was plastic sealed.  Purchased via amazon from Electronics Expo. 

On another note, are you guys just using the stock player or installing a different player?  Any cases that arent 60$+?

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #9,039 of 16,328

I just got mine in today and it was plastic sealed.  Purchased via amazon from Electronics Expo. 

On another note, are you guys just using the stock player or installing a different player?  Any cases that arent 60$+?

Stock player right now is working best. Ebay has a few good cases but most are over 50 bucks.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #9,041 of 16,328
I have been using dp-x1 for an TV episode app in the past three days. I think the sound is better than using the same app on my HTC m9.

I will suggest more users to try compare the same apps sound with your phone.

If you can feel the difference in sound, there may be evidence that dp-x1 has no cpu dac. And the sound processed by 9018 dac is better than mobile phone.

I think my HTC m9 is using Wolfson dac.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #9,042 of 16,328
Jun 8, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #9,043 of 16,328
So I plan on a detailed review post later - buuuut...

I am coming from a Fiio X5 (rev1 with 2x200GB u-sdxc) and E12 combo. I LOVED the sound of this setup. But the flaws on the navigation for large libraries rendered the unit almost-unusable for me. If you have 1000 or 2000 tracks in DSD on an X5 then you really can't go wrong. But have 9000 PCM tracks - pedantically-tagged - and the UI/library navigation flaws become painfully-apparent.

I gave the X7 serious consideration. I figured that even if Fiio could not cough up some serious software usability folks, the android marketplace could, But the limitation on storage (1 u-sd card vs. 2) stood in my way, After all - you are dealing with a wierdo who would love to have a DAP with a DOOR on the back that lets him put his own mSata drive in. (My complete PCM lossless 2-channel library is >700GB, so a DAP with a 1TB mSata drive would be, well, awesome)

For reference, I have 3 sets of headphones:
1) Bottom End - Martin Logan Micros-70 (purchased at a Best Buy/Magnolia store along I-95 in a fit of despair when the next item on the list was forgotten when packing the car)
2) Truly-mobile - LiveWires Trips custom-molded 3-way IEMs
3) Transportable-but-not-mobile - HifiMan HE-560 open-ear, planar OTE headphones

We can ignore #1, because they live in the glove-box of my wife's SUV for road-trips when I have a senior moment and forget to bring something better. They sound fine - certainly better than those crap-wad ear-buds and Beats units that most people use.

But #2 and #3 get used a lot. The X5 could not drive either of them to a full, ballsy tone. Not bass-head tone - just full power on full spectrum. The E12 rectified that beautifully.

Guess what. The Dp-X1 can't do it either. In fact, I would put the performance of the raw DP-X1 and the raw X5r1 in pretty much the same place in terms of subjective sound quality with these two phones. (putting both in "FLAT" EQ/pure mode...). My description to friends in both cases is "almost-but-not-quite."

So here is my new "transportable" (translation: "brick that ain't going in your pocket") listening station...

a DP-X1 +
an Oppo HA-2
a couple of BLACK velcro command-strips to make-em hang together

I get excellent sound (no worse that the X5/E12 combo - but really no better either) and the same high-capacity with a much-improved large-library end-user experience.

And I would post some nice pics, but the dip-wads at photobucket have had their system "down for maintenance" for - well - a stinking long time tonight, and it is time for bed here. I guess if I get around to the detailed review of the rig...

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #9,044 of 16,328
I have been using dp-x1 for an TV episode app in the past three days. I think the sound is better than using the same app on my HTC m9.

I will suggest more users to try compare the same apps sound with your phone.

If you can feel the difference in sound, there may be evidence that dp-x1 has no cpu dac. And the sound processed by 9018 dac is better than mobile phone.

I think my HTC m9 is using Wolfson dac.

I don't think what the Pioneer guy said about a 3rd DAC makes any sense either.

My bet on what's causing the "washing machine" noise is reproduced below:

So I was playing around with my smartphone and ALSAmixer and believe I have recreated symptoms similar to the "washing machine" complaints on the Onkyo with certain settings.

On my phone, RX1 Digital Volume (for left channel) and RX2 Digital Volume (for right channel) default to 50 with IEMs plugged in. If I increase this setting I can make the phone go louder, but at over 70 I start to hear background static. At 95 I hear very obvious background noise that modulates according to the music signal.

Those with root can try playing around with this number (probably lowering it until your earphones of choice work in a comfortable middle-high volume setting range at low gain. I'm not sure but I think 50 is the middle setting with no digital gain or attenuation) to see if the noise goes away.

As addyg pointed out, caveat emptor when playing around with root. You must unroot before accepting any OS updates (one user has had his X1 borked by updating while rooted) and even then we haven't confirmed that rooting, unrooting then updating is 100% safe.

Also the changes applied by ALSAmixer is temporary so you are at risk of blasting your ears with unexpected high volume after some system event (e.g. change of music app, unplugging / replugging earphones). If the ALSAmixer change works, the next order of the day would be to see how mixer_paths.xml can be edited to make those changes permanent.

Or write Onkyo about it...

Technically, I think what we're hearing is quantization / dither noise amplified by digital gain, and all will be fine if we turn down the digital gain and increase the output volume to compensate. How loud do 3rd party apps play compared to the Onkyo app? If they play louder, that would be a confirmation of sorts.

Anyway, this will probably be one of my last posts here as it seems I'll start working for another DAP company again :D (see avatar)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #9,045 of 16,328
  So I plan on a detailed review post later - buuuut...

I am coming from a Fiio X5 (rev1 with 2x200GB u-sdxc) and E12 combo. I LOVED the sound of this setup. But the flaws on the navigation for large libraries rendered the unit almost-unusable for me. If you have 1000 or 2000 tracks in DSD on an X5 then you really can't go wrong. But have 9000 PCM tracks - pedantically-tagged - and the UI/library navigation flaws become painfully-apparent.

I gave the X7 serious consideration. I figured that even if Fiio could not cough up some serious software usability folks, the android marketplace could, But the limitation on storage (1 u-sd card vs. 2) stood in my way, After all - you are dealing with a wierdo who would love to have a DAP with a DOOR on the back that lets him put his own mSata drive in. (My complete PCM lossless 2-channel library is >700GB, so a DAP with a 1TB mSata drive would be, well, awesome)

For reference, I have 3 sets of headphones:
1) Bottom End - Martin Logan Micros-70 (purchased at a Best Buy/Magnolia store along I-95 in a fit of despair when the next item on the list was forgotten when packing the car)
2) Truly-mobile - LiveWires Trips custom-molded 3-way IEMs
3) Transportable-but-not-mobile - HifiMan HE-560 open-ear, planar OTE headphones

We can ignore #1, because they live in the glove-box of my wife's SUV for road-trips when I have a senior moment and forget to bring something better. They sound fine - certainly better than those crap-wad ear-buds and Beats units that most people use.

But #2 and #3 get used a lot. The X5 could not drive either of them to a full, ballsy tone. Not bass-head tone - just full power on full spectrum. The E12 rectified that beautifully.

Guess what. The Dp-X1 can't do it either. In fact, I would put the performance of the raw DP-X1 and the raw X5r1 in pretty much the same place in terms of subjective sound quality with these two phones. (putting both in "FLAT" EQ/pure mode...). My description to friends in both cases is "almost-but-not-quite."

So here is my new "transportable" (translation: "brick that ain't going in your pocket") listening station...

a DP-X1 +
an Oppo HA-2
a couple of BLACK velcro command-strips to make-em hang together

I get excellent sound (no worse that the X5/E12 combo - but really no better either) and the same high-capacity with a much-improved large-library end-user experience.

And I would post some nice pics, but the dip-wads at photobucket have had their system "down for maintenance" for - well - a stinking long time tonight, and it is time for bed here. I guess if I get around to the detailed review of the rig...

You shd try balanced mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back