ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #8,987 of 16,328
I admit to having too much time on my hands.
redface.gif

But I certainly did not start any rumor about app whitelists or third party apps not using the ESS DACs.
rolleyes.gif
If anything, I think such urban legends are a natural part of any audio product. There were plenty of rumors like this that I could never stamp out for FiiO products while I was working for them...
rolleyes.gif
FiiO is nothing if not an honest company and I am nothing if not an honest, maybe too-honest straight-talker
rolleyes.gif

If you can, please don't bring in the comparison to Fiio's product in this post.  As I have stated, the forum has separate post for different dap.

We don't want to get into another product / brand because it does not help the current owners.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #8,988 of 16,328
If you can, please don't bring in the comparison to Fiio's product in this post.  As I have stated, the forum has separate post for different dap.

We don't want to get into another product / brand because it does not help the current owners.

I will try, but it is hard to address your concerns about "a certain company"'s alleged covert propaganda efforts without bringing up said company.

Likewise I only brought up the interference issues with "a certain DAP" because I anticipated you accusing me of shilling for "a certain company" even after they fired me and I wished to bring up "said certain DAP's" strikingly similar bug to balance the stance of my post. But it did not prevent such an accusation from cropping up and bringing the whole thread further off-topic anyway :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #8,990 of 16,328

In fact, why would a ex-Fiio employed and currently non- dp-x1 owner helping us to understand our own machine?  I am very curious.

Because he's an interested and helpful person perhaps?

I think your own issues with FiiO, prevent you seeing Joe's posts as useful and informative.

Even when he was associated with FiiO, I always found his comments on their products to be entirely honest and critical where necessary.

115-120 in balanced with T5p.2? Wow, I normally have it between 90 - 95 with high gain.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that discussion of volume settings is only relevant when gain setting is also described. My figures were for normal gain. 

I've switched to high gain and would also use 90-95 at this setting.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #8,991 of 16,328
  are you saying that only the DP-X1 can be discussed in this thread but it is not allowed to compare it to other DAPs here?
And who decided that? 

I am just pointing out that there has been too much compare to "certain DAP" recently.

And recently , many old rumors comes out.  It make us repeating the rumors again and again.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #8,992 of 16,328

Honestly, I've read nothing from Joe that has been strange, covert, or otherwise maligned toward the DP-X1. He is very knowledgeable with a lot of experience, so give him a break for trying to be helpful. Also, many other users have brought in the X7 to these threads, and they will continue to do so. It's a direct competitor to the DP-X1 with a lot of similarities. Who made you the thread moderator, sheesh.

Having read every post from both the X7 (yes, from the start) and the DP-X1 threads I would say that no member in either thread has really started any rumours at all about either device. For the most part there has been quite a happy co-existence I'd say, so your comments come off more like paranoia.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #8,993 of 16,328
Please respect the work of all those older owners of dp-x1. We have been trying to solve the rumors with many different methods in good % of these 600 pages.

We don't want the solved rumors to repeat again and again and wasting our time. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #8,994 of 16,328
Can we get over with the bickering cross-accusations and just get on with being on-topic? :p

So I was playing around with my smartphone and ALSAmixer and believe I have recreated symptoms similar to the "washing machine" complaints on the Onkyo with certain settings.

On my phone, RX1 Digital Volume (for left channel) and RX2 Digital Volume (for right channel) default to 50 with IEMs plugged in. If I increase this setting I can make the phone go louder, but at over 70 I start to hear background static. At 95 I hear very obvious background noise that modulates according to the music signal.

Those already with root can try playing around with this number (probably lowering it until your earphones of choice work in a comfortable middle-high volume setting range at low gain) to see if the noise goes away.

As addyg pointed out, caveat emptor when playing around with root. You must unroot before accepting any OS updates (one user has had his X1 borked by updating while rooted) and even then we haven't confirmed that rooting, unrooting then updating is 100% safe.

Also the changes applied by ALSAmixer is temporary so you are at risk of blasting your ears with unexpected high volume after some system event (e.g. change of music app, unplugging / replugging earphones). If the ALSAmixer change works, the next order of the day would be to see how mixer_paths.xml can be edited to make those changes permanent.

Or write Onkyo about it...

Has anyone been in a position to try this?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #8,995 of 16,328
  Please respect the work of all those older owners of dp-x1. We have been trying to solve the rumors with many different methods in good % of these 600 pages.

I don't know what rumours you are referring to and I don't recall many 'rumours' as such in this thread. Yes, there are certainly many questions and suggestions put forward for discussion and debate, but unfortunately there are fewer answers and solutions.

Now, if we had anything like the level of engagement that FiiO has with its users, we'd all be a lot better informed, but unfortunately that is not the way Onkyo / Pioneer choose to do business.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #8,996 of 16,328

Sure, but your assumption that the rumours have come from FiiO threads is in fact false (no other thread even talks about any mystery 3rd DAC except this one), and your tact has been less than welcoming for a certain well respected member due to strange suspicions.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #8,997 of 16,328

I don't know what rumours you are referring to and I don't recall many 'rumours' as such in this thread. Yes, there are certainly many questions and suggestions put forward for discussion and debate, but unfortunately there are fewer answers and solutions.

Now, if we had anything like the level of engagement that FiiO has with its users, we'd all be a lot better informed, but unfortunately that is not the way Onkyo / Pioneer choose to do business.

I started with this post very early.  I can tell you that the difference with certain brand DAP post is that Onkyo does not have a staff on post.  This is so much different from certain company as you can tell.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #8,998 of 16,328
Oh we humans are such silly creatures.
We can fight each other over something that is not even remotely related to us.
Buy the product, you like it, use it, recommend it.
You don't, return/sell and buy something else.
Keep it simple, you don't live forever.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #8,999 of 16,328
My bog-standard smartphone plays music with dead silent black background into sensitive BA CIEMs, using these so-called inferior "phone music" apps.
(A FiiO X7 with the wifi interference problem is just as inexcusable in this respect. Like the DP-X1 it seems, only a minority of X7s (early batches?) are affected thus.)

Although the truth is that all X7's are susceptible to wifi noise due to X7's hardware design, the noise just varies from inaudible to loud depending on certain conditions, DP-X1 doesn't have this issue, nor do Sony dap's, due to their hardware design. DP-X1 has it's own big problem though, I hope Onkyo fix the issue of noise with third party apps, it is a software issue that should be patched, I am uncertain if they will actually fix it though. I find the faults of the X7 and DP-X1 both to be inexcusable personally so I can't support either one.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #9,000 of 16,328
Although the truth is that all X7's are susceptible to wifi noise due to X7's hardware design, the noise just varies from inaudible to loud depending on certain conditions, DP-X1 doesn't have this issue, nor do Sony dap's, due to their hardware design. DP-X1 has it's own big problem though, I hope Onkyo fix the issue of noise with third party apps, it is a software issue that should be patched, I am uncertain if they will actually fix it though. I find the faults of the X7 and DP-X1 both to be inexcusable personally so I can't support either one.

I am right on with you :D in this agreement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back