ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 5, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #8,956 of 16,328
Has anyone figured out how to remove the static/distortion when using apps other than the default music player? To test, I play a song from tidal for instance and put the volume down to like 5 and you can really hear the distortion.

It's not a huge deal to me because I put in two 200gb ss cards and am loading it with all high quality files.

Anyone figure this out yet?

Jun 5, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #8,957 of 16,328
just thought that i'd share an update with the battery issues that i was facing. with help from the good people here, i did reset my device & disable most of the apps that i would never use but all that didn't have a positive impact on the battery drain issue. so i searched this same thread & discovered that a few others have also faced this issue.

this seems to be a wifi power management issue that may be fixed with a future firmware update by Onkyo. for the time being, whenever i am done listening with the onkyo, i put it on standalone mode, cutting off the wifi connectivity while it is on idle mode. this seems to be preventing the battery drain while on idle mode issue. this is not an ideal solution but seems to be a workaround. i hope someone @ onkyo will fix this issue for good with the next firmware update.

I think that is the common issue of Android 5.x , my phone upgraded to Android 6 and over-night battery drain is much less.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #8,962 of 16,328
Has anyone figured out how to remove the static/distortion when using apps other than the default music player? To test, I play a song from tidal for instance and put the volume down to like 5 and you can really hear the distortion.

It's not a huge deal to me because I put in two 200gb ss cards and am loading it with all high quality files.

I think this is related to certain iem (or cable) only. As many users (including me) did not have this issue.

Could this be related to different versions of the DP-X1 (international vs Japan)? There are also reports of a volume cap on an European version but not in the Japan version or something like that?

It would be great if someone with root and with the background noise problem would post their mixer_paths.xml config file for me to have a read (access using root browser, in /etc )

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #8,963 of 16,328
Could this be related to different versions of the DP-X1 (international vs Japan)? There are also reports of a volume cap on an European version but not in the Japan version or something like that?

It would be great if someone with root and with the background noise problem would post their mixer_paths.xml config file for me to have a read (access using root browser, in /etc )

I have already searched through all three of the mixer paths files in the etc directory. Alas, the headphone path has no variables to adjust. Ive done this in search of ways to increase the line-out levels of the volume. There must be another way to adjust amp parameters. But what am I saying. Your dilemma isn't my dilemma. I'm In search of more volume and you're in search of fixing the noise. Just wanted to share though just incase anybody here wanted to raise the volume with mixer paths like on other Android devices. We will have to find another way to increase amp levels besides software gain. I know there is a high normal and low settings but I'm just trying to pump even more juice out of this DAP's amp! :)

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #8,964 of 16,328
I have already searched through all three of the mixer paths files in the etc directory. Alas, the headphone path has no variables to adjust. Ive done this in search of ways to increase the line-out levels of the volume. There must be another way to adjust amp parameters. But what am I saying. Your dilemma isn't my dilemma. I'm In search of more volume and you're in search of fixing the noise. Just wanted to share though just incase anybody here wanted to raise the volume with mixer paths like on other Android devices. We will have to find another way to increase amp levels besides software gain. I know there is a high normal and low settings but I'm just trying to pump even more juice out of this DAP's amp! :)

Have you tried installing AlsaMixer from Play Store and adjusting HPH(L/R) Volume or RX(1/2) Digital Volume? Do you mean to get more volume out of the X1's headphone out or line out?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #8,965 of 16,328
My 5 cent on the hiss/noise on 3rd party app:

- Music is fine tuned to the dual dac design of dp-x1

- it is not fair an normal phone app to compare to Music in hiss/noise level even the Onkyo's HF player app for phone cannot compare to Music .

- it is only the high expectation of an normal phone app can match the specially tuned Music that cause some rumors (that a third dac exists).

- Try install HF player / Teac music player which are non-fine-tuned version of Music , you should see the difference.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #8,966 of 16,328
Have you tried installing AlsaMixer from Play Store and adjusting HPH(L/R) Volume or RX(1/2) Digital Volume? Do you mean to get more volume out of the X1's headphone out or line out?

On the HTC One m9 there was a path in the mixer paths called headphone path. It had a value called LINEOUT that raised the volume of the headphone jack with no distortion whatsoever. It had an initial setting of 14 and a Max setting of 20. Unfortunately, the mixer path files in the DP-X1 have the headphone path is completely blank. I've also tried faux sound but it says it isn't compatible with the kernel. However, I have just begun to scratch the surface of the Alaa mixer. Maybe something good can show up from that. It seems the Lineout value is different from a typical gain function such as those found in v4a or poweramp in that it isn't a software gain. It controls the gain of the amp itself. So that leads to no clipping or distortion issues that arise from said software/digital gains as long as you don't go above 20( if you do go above 20 it will act as if it were at 20 anyway, so there's a limit to that). Sorry if that sounds quite strange but that's the best I could explain it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #8,967 of 16,328
Is it me or the equalizer on dp-x1 doesn't work. As I understand clicking on the circle with "EQ" in it should enable the equalizer and then you can choose either preset or custom curve. However, no matter what I try it all sounds the same to me, am I missing some important step or my hearing isn't as good as I thought it was.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #8,968 of 16,328
Is it me or the equalizer on dp-x1 doesn't work. As I understand clicking on the circle with "EQ" in it should enable the equalizer and then you can choose either preset or custom curve. However, no matter what I try it all sounds the same to me, am I missing some important step or my hearing isn't as good as I thought it was.

Are you listening directly out of the X1 or through a DAC? What music file format are you playing (DSD?)

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #8,969 of 16,328
My 5 cent on the hiss/noise on 3rd party app:

- Music is fine tuned to the dual dac design of dp-x1

- it is not fair an normal phone app to compare to Music in hiss/noise level even the Onkyo's HF player app for phone cannot compare to Music .

- it is only the high expectation of an normal phone app can match the specially tuned Music that cause some rumors (that a third dac exists).

- Try install HF player / Teac music player which are non-fine-tuned version of Music , you should see the difference.

My bog-standard smartphone plays music with dead silent black background into sensitive BA CIEMs, using these so-called inferior "phone music" apps.

(A FiiO X7 with the wifi interference problem is just as inexcusable in this respect. Like the DP-X1 it seems, only a minority of X7s (early batches?) are affected thus.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back