ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #8,971 of 16,326
Once I get my CIEMs in I will test the distortion/hiss more but with my Dunu's I can clearly hear a very unappealing background hiss in every app except for the stock music player. It's very unfortunate

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #8,972 of 16,326
My bog-standard smartphone plays music with dead silent black background into sensitive BA CIEMs, using these so-called inferior "phone music" apps.

(A FiiO X7 with the wifi interference problem is just as inexcusable in this respect. Like the DP-X1 it seems, only a minority of X7s (early batches?) are affected thus.)

I think this is dp-x1 post and you are keeping to play some AD for fiio x7 or your phone.  Everyone in here has a mobile phone. And there is no reason to bring in Fiio X7 as it has its own forum post, right?

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #8,973 of 16,326
  Is it me or the equalizer on dp-x1 doesn't work. As I understand clicking on the circle with "EQ" in it should enable the equalizer and then you can choose either preset or custom curve. However, no matter what I try it all sounds the same to me, am I missing some important step or my hearing isn't as good as I thought it was.

I think you need to turn on DSP.  But I haven't use EQ for long time, so not too sure about that.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #8,974 of 16,326
My bog-standard smartphone plays music with dead silent black background into sensitive BA CIEMs, using these so-called inferior "phone music" apps.

(A FiiO X7 with the wifi interference problem is just as inexcusable in this respect. Like the DP-X1 it seems, only a minority of X7s (early batches?) are affected thus.)

I think this is dp-x1 post and you are keeping to play some AD for fiio x7 or your phone.  Everyone in here has a mobile phone. And there is no reason to bring in Fiio X7 as it has its own forum post, right?

Actually I was pointing out the interference problem of the X7, hardly a glowing endorsement. You also seem to be busy finding excuses for every shortcoming of the DP-X1. You also have an unbelievable level of single-mindedness in your head-fi postings, only ever posting in ONE thread outside of this DP-X1 thread in 200+ posts, and that was to endorse the DP-X1 for pairing with the earphones of that thread! Can someone simply interested in HiFi plausibly have such a one-track interest?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #8,975 of 16,326

I think you need to turn on DSP.  But I haven't use EQ for long time, so not too sure about that.

Yep, thanks :)

Got the equalizer working but I'm not sure I like it. I thought it would be easy enough to reduce the midbass a little for my T5p second gen but doesn't seem so easy, something is missing from the sound now.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #8,976 of 16,326

Yep, thanks :)

Got the equalizer working but I'm not sure I like it. I thought it would be easy enough to reduce the midbass a little for my T5p second gen but doesn't seem so easy, something is missing from the sound now.

You know that advice they like to give about trying new gear and sticking with it for at least a week in order to truly evaluate its worth, the same should apply to EQ settings too :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #8,977 of 16,326
You know that advice they like to give about trying new gear and sticking with it for at least a week in order to truly evaluate its worth, the same should apply to EQ settings too
wink.gif

It is a good advice. I shall follow it.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #8,978 of 16,326
Actually I was pointing out the interference problem of the X7, hardly a glowing endorsement. You also seem to be busy finding excuses for every shortcoming of the DP-X1. You also have an unbelievable level of single-mindedness in your head-fi postings, only ever posting in ONE thread outside of this DP-X1 thread in 200+ posts, and that was to endorse the DP-X1 for pairing with the earphones of that thread! Can someone simply interested in HiFi plausibly have such a one-track interest?

We are dp-x1 owners. We try to solve problem for other dp-x1 owners. That is it.

I am the very early owner of dp-x1. I believe I got lucky to grep a unit in Japan after it released.

Many owners here are new to dp-x1 , so it is older hand to tell younger hand how it works and what it can do / cannot do.

I understand people before their purchase like to do compare. That is why we have separate posts for all dap in the forum. Nearly 600 pages of owners Q & A I think is good enough to do any comparison.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #8,979 of 16,326

You do post some ridiculous nonsense.

All Joe Bloggs has tried to do in a number of posts on this topic is help us understand the issue better.

Nobody is directly comparing the performance of the Music app against third-party apps. We are comparing the performance of the third party apps on the DP-X1 against the performance of those same apps on other Android devices. 

On other devices they work well, on the DP-X1 they suffer distortion. Therefore there is a defect in the DP-X1. All we are trying to understand is whether this can be fixed or is something we have to put up with.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #8,980 of 16,326

Hi, seems like you also have the balanced cable for T5p II .  Where is the cable purchased?

For balanced on T5p II , what is the vol. that require, how is the sound stage, etc?

Thanks!

I couldn't find a generally available cable with 2.5mm connector anywhere so I re-terminated the cable that came with the phones.

It's a shame that Beyerdynamic don't produce or provide one as these sensitive phones are ideal for use with portable players. Perhaps there is something in their tie-in with Austell & Kern that prevents them separately marketing a 2.5mm cable.

Normal listening levels are around 115 - 120 in balanced (or around 105 in AGG). Sound stage and imaging are the best feature of the 'phones IMO. Best I've heard in a closed design.

The big concern I had was leakage as this has been reported as a problem by some reviewers. It's not an issue for me however.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,981 of 16,326
So I was playing around with my smartphone and ALSAmixer and believe I have recreated symptoms similar to the "washing machine" complaints on the Onkyo with certain settings.

On my phone, RX1 Digital Volume (for left channel) and RX2 Digital Volume (for right channel) default to 50 with IEMs plugged in. If I increase this setting I can make the phone go louder, but at over 70 I start to hear background static. At 95 I hear very obvious background noise that modulates according to the music signal.

Those with root can try playing around with this number (probably lowering it until your earphones of choice work in a comfortable middle-high volume setting range at low gain) to see if the noise goes away.

As addyg pointed out, caveat emptor when playing around with root. You must unroot before accepting any OS updates (one user has had his X1 borked by updating while rooted) and even then we haven't confirmed that rooting, unrooting then updating is 100% safe.

Also the changes applied by ALSAmixer is temporary so you are at risk of blasting your ears with unexpected high volume after some system event (e.g. change of music app, unplugging / replugging earphones). If the ALSAmixer change works, the next order of the day would be to see how mixer_paths.xml can be edited to make those changes permanent.

Or write Onkyo about it...

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #8,982 of 16,326
oops, delete

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #8,983 of 16,326

I couldn't find a generally available cable with 2.5mm connector anywhere so I re-terminated the cable that came with the phones.

It's a shame that Beyerdynamic don't produce or provide one as these sensitive phones are ideal for use with portable players. Perhaps there is something in their tie-in with Austell & Kern that prevents them separately marketing a 2.5mm cable.

Normal listening levels are around 115 - 120 in balanced (or around 105 in AGG). Sound stage and imaging are the best feature of the 'phones IMO. Best I've heard in a closed design.

The big concern I had was leakage as this has been reported as a problem by some reviewers. It's not an issue for me however.

115-120 in balanced with T5p.2? Wow, I normally have it between 90 - 95 with high gain.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #8,984 of 16,326

You do post some ridiculous nonsense.

All Joe Bloggs has tried to do in a number of posts on this topic is help us understand the issue better.

Nobody is directly comparing the performance of the Music app against third-party apps. We are comparing the performance of the third party apps on the DP-X1 against the performance of those same apps on other Android devices. 

On other devices they work well, on the DP-X1 they suffer distortion. Therefore there is a defect in the DP-X1. All we are trying to understand is whether this can be fixed or is something we have to put up with.

As a owner, I don't think so.  He has been with Fiio as stated. And from the start of this post, I think many rumors are coming from Fiio such as White list and the misery third cpu dac. 

If there is no prove, I don't want to get to those rumors again and again. 

In fact, why would a ex-Fiio employed and currently non- dp-x1 owner helping us to understand our own machine?  I am very curious.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #8,985 of 16,326
As a owner, I don't think so.  He has been with Fiio as stated. And from the start of this post, I think many rumors are coming from Fiio such as White list and the misery third cpu dac. 

If there is no prove, I don't want to get to those rumors again and again. 

In fact, why would a ex-Fiio employed and currently non- dp-x1 owner helping us to understand our own machine?  I am very curious.

I admit to having too much time on my hands. :xf_eek:

But I certainly did not start any rumor about app whitelists or third party apps not using the ESS DACs. :rolleyes: If anything, I think such urban legends are a natural part of any audio product. There were plenty of rumors like this that I could never stamp out for FiiO products while I was working for them... :rolleyes: FiiO is nothing if not an honest company and I am nothing if not an honest, maybe too-honest straight-talker :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back