ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #7,383 of 16,326
No! Not at all and if used could possibly end up damaging your dpx1! You can adapt 2.5 trrs to 3.5trs/trrs but you cannot go 3.5trs to 2.5trrs

Wrong. It's not the adapter that matters. If the cabling (pinouts) are correct then it shouldn't be a problem. In actuality it won't damage the player. It will just not a properly balanced head phone as the negative right channel will mixed with left positive and vice versa so you will have cross over noises.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #7,384 of 16,326
Wrong. It's not the adapter that matters. If the cabling (pinouts) are correct then it shouldn't be a problem. In actuality it won't damage the player. It will just not a properly balanced head phone as the negative right channel will mixed with left positive and vice versa so you will have cross over noises.

You could also short the grounds together, or short the positive leads, or any such mismatch. That is bad. You simply cannot run from the L+/L- and R+/R- to L/R/Gnd. Left and right sides need to be kept separate.

You can run a balanced wire into SE port. But you cannot and should not run a single-ended / shared ground cable into a balanced port. That is asking for trouble. In this case, Onkyo probably does have a protection circuit in place, but in general I wouldn't count on it.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #7,385 of 16,326
Can anyone explain how to apply the tempered glass? It's all in Japanese and it comes with: tempered glass, some other plastic casing, dry screen wiper, wet screen wiper, and a white sticker. Is there some step by step directions? I was unable to Google the product DPA-GL033 and PDF or manual to find any directions.

Here is picture of the DPA-GL033 contents:

It is fairly easy. Turn off the DP-X1. Wipe down the player glass screen with the included alcohol wipe. This gets rid of grease / fingerprints / dust.

The tempered glass has two sides -- one is sticky and is covered by the protective plastic. The other is just the glass. Peel off the plastic to reveal the sticky side.

Holding the protector by the edges, gently place the sticky side down on the DP-X1 screen. It is easiest to start on the smaller edge and to start at a corner. Adjust the angle so you get the protector at the right angle for your device, all squared up to the screen.

Gently lay down the rest of the screen protector. It will still be a little floaty and able to be adjusted while you lay the whole thing down. Once it is down fully, press on one corner and work your way across to the opposite corner, pressing down with a credit card to squeegee the air bubbles out. Work from the inside / center if the screen and work outwards to press the bubbles to the side of the screen and out. If you have any smaller bubbles, they will generally work out within 24 hours.

The sticky side likes to attract any dust particles in the air. I recommend installing in a very steamy bathroom with the shower going. Let it fog up really well to knock any dust out of the air before peel off the sticky layer.

There is nothing really special about the Onkyo screen protector. The install process is the same as it is for any tempered glass screen protector, mins the complication of button or speaker cutouts. You should be able to find plenty of tutorials and examples on YouTube if you search for "tempered glass screen protector install".

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #7,386 of 16,326
hey, again, as I'm likely to be getting the player in a week or so figured I'd again throw this out here

- anyone with Shure 846s want to chime in? I heard that there are hiss issues with some of the streaming options but for regular playback is it at all evident? Had to return the Questyle as the hissing was far too distracting

- I know folder browse was added post-launch, any issues/quibbles I should know about (say with a 200gb card filled with Mp3s)

- Any other pre-release quibbles that may not be the obvious ones are more than welcome

cheers

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #7,387 of 16,326
You could also short the grounds together, or short the positive leads, or any such mismatch. That is bad. You simply cannot run from the L+/L- and R+/R- to L/R/Gnd. Left and right sides need to be kept separate.

You can run a balanced wire into SE port. But you cannot and should not run a single-ended / shared ground cable into a balanced port. That is asking for trouble. In this case, Onkyo probably does have a protection circuit in place, but in general I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, SE 3.5 to Balanced 2.5 is bad juju. But not swapping a cable line from a 1:1 trrs 3.5 with an adaptor 2.5 on will not short the system.
Right side ear cup (-r=+l, +r=+r)
Left side ear cup (+l=-l, -l=-r)

From what I'm seeing no shorten line. But what do I know I'm just an electrical engineer.

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #7,391 of 16,326
Yes, SE 3.5 to Balanced 2.5 is bad juju. But not swapping a cable line from a 1:1 trrs 3.5 with an adaptor 2.5 on will not short the system.
Right side ear cup (-r=+l, +r=+r)
Left side ear cup (+l=-l, -l=-r)

From what I'm seeing no shorten line. But what do I know I'm just an electrical engineer.

From what I am reading of your above statement, I do not think we are speaking about the same things. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7,392 of 16,326
I have a question might me off topic
How to connect
1) Onkyo X1
2) Onkyo ha 300
Line out to a Bose sound dock 10 speaker that has only a line in !
And is there a special cable required

Set Onkyo player to line-out. Connect with 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. I don't really see what the problem is?

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #7,394 of 16,326
  I was never able to confirm that the DP-X1 had Gorilla Glass, but I remember reading a reputable source that suggested it did. Where did you hear that it has Gorilla Glass?

I must confess I think I HEARD it too
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back