ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #7,322 of 16,328

I just tried with balanced out. The same noise problem continues, maybe with a bit smaller magnitude. It is a deal breaker for me 
frown.gif
. I am quite unhappy, as everything else is great with this player, I hope Onkyo can take care of this problem in the future (if it is software related, of course).

The folder browsing was normal after I went back to factory settings then re-installed the update. Must have been a fluke.

​I am curious if you have the charger plugged in when you have this noise?  I have experienced quite a bit of noise when plugged in to a wall socket. I am not sure if the charger or cable is picking up some sort of interference.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #7,323 of 16,328
  @NPWS, if I wasn't a moderate basshead I was all set to get the Ether, but having had the HE 560 I knew that ultimately to get the bass characteristics I wanted I needed a closed headphone. In the ideal world I would have one excellent open and closed headphone at the same time, but given my limited budget and the need to maintain a decent portable headphone I can only have one main home listening headphone so at this point closed it is. I was tempted by the Ether C, but I was surprised people reporting that it really wasn't really that strong in the bass department for a closed design. Did you ever hear the Ether C?

ether c is lack of bass, IMO.
I rather choose fostex th900 or audeze series, if you're looking for bass.
and th900 is closed back headphone, the new th900mk2 might be best with your characteristics.

Thanks, but where do you buy these cables?? I almost don`t find any offer in Europe?

local DIYers
wink_face.gif

have you try searching in amazon, ebay, etc?

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,327 of 16,328
but cannot I select on the DP-X1 to output in PCM thru the OPPO dac, because if it can't output DSD 256 files or MQA files so they can play thru the analogue outs of the Oppo
Then there is no point in setting up this USB connection
I might as well just connect the headphone out in line out mode to my pre-amp
Could you comment on this please

In the DP-X1 brochure
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/sell_sheets/DP-X1%20Brochure%2003-2016.pdf
Is it not indicated that the DP-X1 can downgrade its digital output from DSD256 to DSD128
At least that's what the arrow diagrams seem to imply
Now I know I could do the same on Jriver in the laptop but the DP-X1 dap is a lot more convenient
Now I don't know how it will output MQA but it seems according to the brochure that DSD 256 could be output as DSD128 which the Oppo 105 can play
Any response appreciated

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #7,328 of 16,328
Any response appreciated

Any response is appreciated? Okay, here is mine, there will be no sound quality difference between any format. As long as it is 16bit and lossless (hell even 320 is fine). I think you are wasting your time worrying about what at best would be a minute difference with DSD. there is no logical reason it could sound different. That won't be a popular response, but you did say any response was appreciated so ....

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #7,329 of 16,328
  @NPWS, if I wasn't a moderate basshead I was all set to get the Ether, but having had the HE 560 I knew that ultimately to get the bass characteristics I wanted I needed a closed headphone. In the ideal world I would have one excellent open and closed headphone at the same time, but given my limited budget and the need to maintain a decent portable headphone I can only have one main home listening headphone so at this point closed it is. I was tempted by the Ether C, but I was surprised people reporting that it really wasn't really that strong in the bass department for a closed design. Did you ever hear the Ether C?

one advise and take it from someone who entered this hobby hoping audeze lcd2 will deliver

well my freind when i bought the lcd2 I was in such a difficult journey to get the sound sig I like, I adore bass in an audiophile way, I like it punchy, tight and controlled, and I love detailed and good layering, the answer was selling my lcd2 and buying the oppo pm1. I had to go to extreme ways with my lcd2 from buying chord hugo and stacking it with alo mk3 to get bass. It was just a bad journey with my lcd2 so I sold hugo and lcd2. So finally I am were I want, chord mojo and oppo pm1 and some eq in low end you are done.

I was in Dubai and my initial aim was to buy the hifiman 1000, but I decided to test everything, lcd4, hifiman, nighthawk, lcd3, oppo pm2 in the end oppo pm1 was so magical and beat all others in my opinion

once i got the oppo pm1 I will  not look at buying new headphones for a long long long time as its so dam good

finally i do not believe any dap will be able to power those headphones at all, you need to stack an amp to ur dap no matter what specs say or what some people say in my opinion

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #7,331 of 16,328
Any response is appreciated? Okay, here is mine, there will be no sound quality difference between any format. As long as it is 16bit and lossless (hell even 320 is fine). I think you are wasting your time worrying about what at best would be a minute difference with DSD. there is no logical reason it could sound different. That won't be a popular response, but you did say any response was appreciated so ....

I appreciate your response. Other than the DP-X1 which I have not bought yet, I have no equipment that can reproduce DSD256 files or MQA files
Now I know that I can use the DP-X1 with headphones Balanced or not
But if I want to output that sound thru my Hi-Fi system, I know that I can output thru the 3.5 output in line out mode
But I wanted to see if I could get better sound on my Hi-Fi system if I did a digital USB output from the DP-X1 to my Oppo 105
But I probably misunderstood a few things
Again any responses appreciated

Also has anyone done any extended auditions of MQA files on the DP-X1. Your impressions please

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #7,333 of 16,328
. I was tempted by the Ether C, but I was surprised people reporting that it really wasn't really that strong in the bass department for a closed design. Did you ever hear the Ether C?

The Ether C is not a bass head can in any sense of the word. To me it didn't even sound like a closed back can, it has a sound that I would typically associate with an open back planar. If you need big bass, I don't think the Ether is for you.

I am curious if you have the charger plugged in when you have this noise?  I have experienced quite a bit of noise when plugged in to a wall socket. I am not sure if the charger or cable is picking up some sort of interference.

No never tried it while charging...

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #7,334 of 16,328
  ether c is lack of bass, IMO.

I'd concur with that. I found the open Ethers to have far better bass, far better all round in fact. 

I'm totally perplexed by the Ether Cs. People claim they're the greatest headphone ever, yet you have users sticking toilet paper in them to try and make them sound better. I thought that was an April fool's wind-up at first, but apparently it's true 
confused.gif

I'm after a good closed 'phone so will look up those Foxtexs 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back