ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 17, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #7,291 of 16,326
What's the point of rooting this device? Doesn't it void the warranty ?

Shouldn't void the warranty, no. A warranty covering hardware should be unaffected by software changes.  Like I said, we're not flashing new bootloaders or custom ROMs; there is no change to the firmware.  Just a small change to userland software.  Onkyo doesn't have an efuse that gets blown when rooting (unlike, say, Samsung), so if you remove root or factory reset (losing root in the process) there should be no way to detect that it was ever rooted.  But then again, I bought my unit grey-market from Japan while I am in the US, so I wasn't exactly worrying about warranty issues.  Rooting gives you more control.  A lot of people like more control.  Most people will have no need for it.  For the majority of people, it's best to ignore the whole root thing entirely.  But for those who want to know if it's possible, yes, it is.

Unless you really know what you are doing, I would advise on holding off on rooting entirely. You can brick the device if you mess up (but from a software perspective rather than a hardware one).  I will post an update when the next firmware comes out and let everybody know what steps are necessary to get the update if you have root (if it installs just fine, if it installs just fine but wipes root in the process, if you need to wipe root to install, or if you need to factory reset to install).

As long as you are careful and are okay with some risk, you should be fine.  Personally, I wouldn't have any moral or ethical issue sending my unit in for a warranty repair if it were for a hardware fault (like the balanced jack coming loose), but I wouldn't send it in if I managed to brick the bootloader.  Just be careful and know that rooting comes with its own risks and other rewards.  It's all about balance and being able to accept that the risks are worth the rewards.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #7,292 of 16,326
  Where did you find one for $580? And why is a brand new item with an MSRP of $899 selling for over $300 less than MSRP already? Pricing structure seems very inconsistent right out of the gate.

It was roughly that price when I ordered it from PriceJapan.  Grey market, and not the official US one.  I'm happy with it.  So I don't have a US warranty (although I do suspect that since they're the same units as the international version, I'd be able to claim US warranty if I really tried, but I wouldn't feel right about that), but I saved a lot on the MSRP and got it months ago.  I'm okay with that.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #7,293 of 16,326

It was roughly that price when I ordered it from PriceJapan.  Grey market, and not the official US one.  I'm happy with it.  So I don't have a US warranty (although I do suspect that since they're the same units as the international version, I'd be able to claim US warranty if I really tried, but I wouldn't feel right about that), but I saved a lot on the MSRP and got it months ago.  I'm okay with that.

Interesting, yeah the warranty issue would concern me especially being that there have been early reports of small issues, hopefully everything works out fine for you though.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #7,294 of 16,326
Since it's rootable, and available here in the US, I'm going to order it. I am looking forward to how it compares to my Fiio X7 (am2 module only as am1 sucks IMHO).

No reason to root for most people and your better off. I just prefer rooting everything, and for music and being a basshead, adding Viper4Android is a must. If you are a basshead, viper brings the best bass possible, amongst other nice tweaks. Amazing dsp/eq.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #7,296 of 16,326
I getting static noise when I'm using a 3rd party app on my IEM when It's plugged on the SE out.  I'll let you know on monday or sooner when I finish the cable that im building.

I still get static at low gain with my iem's using balanced cable. It was way worse set on high gain where it was really distracting and that's with both tidal and Spotify regardless of playing online and offline music.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #7,298 of 16,326
Any reason to root the device? I only see the risk to your Tidal, Onkyo account, etc, or I am missing something?

A few reasons.  There's V4A (I use it on my Note3, but don't use it on my DP-X1).  There's AdAway (I like to use Chrome and browse around sometimes when I am listening to music -- I figure that most people don't do this) to remove annoying advertising on the web and in apps.  There's Titanium Backup, which lets you backup and freeze apps.  The DP-X1 is a fairly stock Android experience, which is fantastic. But I like being able to do full backups and do versioned backups of preferences, etc.  I mostly wanted root because I'm used to having root.  There's not really a necessity.  If you haven't been itching for root, I would generally advise against it.  But if not having root is what is making you avoid the device, well, it's good to know.

Like I said, if you don't know why you want to have root access, I would advise against rooting your device.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #7,299 of 16,326
A few reasons.  There's V4A (I use it on my Note3, but don't use it on my DP-X1).  There's AdAway (I like to use Chrome and browse around sometimes when I am listening to music -- I figure that most people don't do this) to remove annoying advertising on the web and in apps.  There's Titanium Backup, which lets you backup and freeze apps.  The DP-X1 is a fairly stock Android experience, which is fantastic. But I like being able to do full backups and do versioned backups of preferences, etc.  I mostly wanted root because I'm used to having root.  There's not really a necessity.  If you haven't been itching for root, I would generally advise against it.  But if not having root is what is making you avoid the device, well, it's good to know.

Like I said, if you don't know why you want to have root access, I would advise against rooting your device.

Agreed, I've had several Android devices that were both unrooted and rooted. It all depended on what I wanted the device to do.

YMMV!

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #7,300 of 16,326
Well I will be getting mine next week. Cant wait to try out, over 400gb of music is awesome. I like the Sabre DACs, my DX90 has the same. This will be my main portable DAP with my ALCLAIR RSM CIEMs.

I noticed a 2.5mm to 3.5 Female connection that is about 3 inches long and it says it makes a SE to Balanced, is this the same as having a true balanced cable? Im a bit of a "newbie" when it comes to balanced.

Don't use that adapter. You may damage the player.

For balanced connection the 4 wires from the earphones must be brought into the player via the 2.5mm TRRS jack. Otherwise you are shorting out part of the amplifier output stage of the player.

You will need a new cable for your IEMs (or a retermination of your existing one if it is suitable).

Once that is done you can use an adapter to connect the 2.5mm TRRS plug to the 3.5mm SE output on other equipment. It's safe to do it that way around.

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #7,302 of 16,326
  Just ordered one for about $580 shipped.
So this DAP can line out? Do I just need a 3.5mm to 2RCA cable and plug the 3.5mm end to the headphone output?

Yes ... that works fine. There's an option in the settings menu to activate 'line-out'. I believe it just sets volume to maximum.

Remember to deactivate it before going back to headphones to avoid scaring yourself 
eek.gif

It would be a helpful software tweak for the device to automatically reset line-out when the jack plug is removed.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #7,304 of 16,326
Does the onkyo dac ha 300 can be fitted with the dp X1 for greater sound

If you are using IEM, adding an amp using Line out does not offer much improvement, but if you are using high demanding headphones it does provide better dynamic.  I personally preferred adding a small desktop tube amp such as the Ortofon Ta-Q7 for driving the demanding headphones.

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #7,305 of 16,326
  @Peridot @NPWS Thanks guys. I was trying with a K10 using SE out. I will try balanced and report back. Re: the folder thing, like I said I didn't even bother with it, I'll mess around with that a little bit and report back as well.

I just tried with balanced out. The same noise problem continues, maybe with a bit smaller magnitude. It is a deal breaker for me 
frown.gif
. I am quite unhappy, as everything else is great with this player, I hope Onkyo can take care of this problem in the future (if it is software related, of course).

The folder browsing was normal after I went back to factory settings then re-installed the update. Must have been a fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back