ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #7,306 of 16,326
Greetings All, pardon me if my question is already been discussed here or is irrelevant to the thread topic, if it is so kindly delete my post.

I have been following with great interest this thread particularly in relation of the ability DP-X1 to play Bob Stuart's MQA. Does anyone here have tried to listen to the MQA through DP-X1? Please do share how the sound of it. Thanks

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #7,307 of 16,326

Don't use that adapter. You may damage the player.

For balanced connection the 4 wires from the earphones must be brought into the player via the 2.5mm TRRS jack. Otherwise you are shorting out part of the amplifier output stage of the player.

You will need a new cable for your IEMs (or a retermination of your existing one if it is suitable).

Once that is done you can use an adapter to connect the 2.5mm TRRS plug to the 3.5mm SE output on other equipment. It's safe to do it that way around.

Thanks for the update and saving me a few bucks. I will have to get some new cables soon.

I plan to use a 200gb card full of my music and another card for Tidal HIFI and the MQS, is there a allotted amount you can down load offline, I’m wondering if I should buy another 200gb for the Tidal or if a 128gb would suffice.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #7,308 of 16,326
Does it come with US Warranty ?

Yes, as well as the option to add various extended warranties and optional drops/spills coverage etc.

And my last price out at PJ immediately prior to the US release was ~$675 (72800JPY, remember Kaneda-san's fees and shipping) and I paid $799 shipped for the US version. Hardly the $300+ implied earlier, and Onkyo US is selling below the $899 MSRP anyway. Given that no one has access to a time machine, now is the only moment that is relevant to an active decisionmaker-- keep this in mind when making comparisons.

Glad everyone is enjoying their Onkyos! Looking forward to USB DAC functionality if and when it ever happens :wink:

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #7,309 of 16,326
yes your DAP then just becomes a transport

but cannot I select on the DP-X1 to output in PCM thru the OPPO dac, because if it can't output DSD 256 files or MQA files so they can play thru the analogue outs of the Oppo
Then there is no point in setting up this USB connection
I might as well just connect the headphone out in line out mode to my pre-amp
Could you comment on this please

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #7,310 of 16,326
Yes, as well as the option to add various extended warranties and optional drops/spills coverage etc.

And my last price out at PJ immediately prior to the US release was ~$675 (72800JPY, remember Kaneda-san's fees and shipping) and I paid $799 shipped for the US version. Hardly the $300+ implied earlier, and Onkyo US is selling below the $899 MSRP anyway. Given that no one has access to a time machine, now is the only moment that is relevant to an active decisionmaker-- keep this in mind when making comparisons.

Glad everyone is enjoying their Onkyos! Looking forward to USB DAC functionality of and when it ever happens
wink.gif

I just paid $799 for mine from Onkyo, through Amazon.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #7,311 of 16,326

I just tried with balanced out. The same noise problem continues, maybe with a bit smaller magnitude. It is a deal breaker for me 
frown.gif
. I am quite unhappy, as everything else is great with this player, I hope Onkyo can take care of this problem in the future (if it is software related, of course).

The folder browsing was normal after I went back to factory settings then re-installed the update. Must have been a fluke.

I find that AGC mode on the balanced output to be a little better than full balanced. I tried with some 250 ohm 'phones and the distortion was much less noticeable, but still there. As the distortion persists even with all radios turned off, I think it must be software related so hopefully it will be fixed in a future firmware update. Now that the device is released in the US and hopefully soon in EU, there may be a better chance of feeding these issues back to Onkyo and getting some response,

I plan to use a 200gb card full of my music and another card for Tidal HIFI and the MQS, is there a allotted amount you can down load offline, I’m wondering if I should buy another 200gb for the Tidal or if a 128gb would suffice.

Spotify has a limit of around 10k tracks but I think Tidal is unlimited. The usual rule with storage is that you can never have enough 
smile.gif

You'll need to put the Tidal card in slot 1, as that is the only one it can save to.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #7,312 of 16,326
Spotify has a limit of around 10k tracks but I think Tidal is unlimited. The usual rule with storage is that you can never have enough 
smile.gif

You'll need to put the Tidal card in slot 1, as that is the only one it can save to.

Thanks! The price of the 200gb cards is relatively cheap.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,314 of 16,326

I have a question to the Mojo / DP-X1 users: How do you connect the two devices? It must be a micro-usb-to-micro-usb-cable, right? I could not find any of these online? Do you need a custom made cable?

smily_headphones1.gif

confused_face_2.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #7,315 of 16,326
but cannot I select on the DP-X1 to output in PCM thru the OPPO dac, because if it can't output DSD 256 files or MQA files so they can play thru the analogue outs of the Oppo
Then there is no point in setting up this USB connection
I might as well just connect the headphone out in line out mode to my pre-amp
Could you comment on this please

I don't think so, you are wanting the Oppo to simply pass through a signal to it's output stage without doing any processing and unless I'm misunderstanding things that won't happen. You are feeding the Oppo a digital input that is going to go through the DA conversion before it hits the output stage so it will convert the signal and you will not be gaining any supposed advantage of DSD and MQA. That is my understanding of the situation.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #7,317 of 16,326
@NPWS damn that must be a sweet sounding rig.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #7,319 of 16,326
@NPWS, if I wasn't a moderate basshead I was all set to get the Ether, but having had the HE 560 I knew that ultimately to get the bass characteristics I wanted I needed a closed headphone. In the ideal world I would have one excellent open and closed headphone at the same time, but given my limited budget and the need to maintain a decent portable headphone I can only have one main home listening headphone so at this point closed it is. I was tempted by the Ether C, but I was surprised people reporting that it really wasn't really that strong in the bass department for a closed design. Did you ever hear the Ether C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back