ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 9, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #5,131 of 16,326

As one of the first owner of DP-X1 here, I was telling people that there isn't any Qualcomm DAC but only apps that either can utilize it properly or not but i guess this new Android based DAP territory is still quite a no man's land.

The DAP audio chips are native for Android. The only problem occurs when, like in the case of V10, there is a default DAC along with the HD audio one. Since you're saying there's no Qualcomm DAC in DP-X1, this is a non issue.If you hear sound, the chip is being used. Make sure the software is setup properly so there's no up or down scaling.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #5,132 of 16,326
That is not true, all the Snapdragon processors have audio SoC. Go visit the corporate website. The audio processing ability built into the Snapdragon 801 which I believe is used for the DP-X1 is quite good.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #5,134 of 16,326
  I see more messages about the reliability of the output balanced ... Do we think this is an isolated problem for some users, a defect that is corrected?

I don't see this as having been raised as an issue. Can I ask specifically what you are referring to? Do you mean the jack itself? If so, based on the totality of the evidence that has been blown way out of proportion.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,137 of 16,326
I personally had the issue with the defective jack. Onkyo acknowledged the issue and sent a new unit. I am now waiting for the new one. Hopefully the issue has been fixed.

Well, they didn't issue a recall (not surprising) so perhaps that means they still have enough confidence that the existing circulated units will still stand up to wear and tear. Of course, only time will tell. I will be interested to hear what has changed when you receive your replacement unit.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #5,139 of 16,326
  I see more messages about the reliability of the output balanced ... Do we think this is an isolated problem for some users, a defect that is corrected?

There is no evidence that it has been corrected. However ... although there have been some early failures, this is really a potential long term reliability problem and will very much depend on how the DAP is used. If users are careful when inserting and removing jack plugs, and if for example the player is placed on a table when in use, then it is very unlikely that a problem will arise. 

Shoved in a pocket however, with continuous and repetitive slight movement on the headphone jack as you move around would almost certainly lead to failure, the only question being how long it takes.

I would say the choices are to take great care in using the player when 'out and about', perform some DIY stabilisation of the jack sockets as discussed in this thread, or wait to see if Onkyo undertake a modification in the future.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #5,141 of 16,326
We have a group of dp-x1 users ~300 in China. One of the unit dropped and fail to start up. Through an reseller (unofficial) it was returned to Japan. Onkyo simply replaced a new one.

FYI the model is not released in China yet.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #5,142 of 16,326

Had a chance to listen to the Pioneer player and I must say, even via single ended, the DPX1 that i own sounds better than the Pioneer. So even if you are using it single ended, its better to go for the DPX1

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #5,143 of 16,326
OK this might be off topic (but stick with me and you'll see where it's going)

Available, I know in the UK at least, San Disk 200Gb micro SD card available today on amazon here for £79.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back