ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 10, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #5,147 of 16,328
Is that the opus? How's it compare to the Onkyo?
smily_headphones1.gif
both SE and balanced thanks!

I having tried Opus, I must say this DAP game is stepping up this year. It is priced similar to Onkyo and have the performance (subjectively for me) similar to Onkyo but it's down to sounds signature preference. Opus sounds bassier and narrower than Onkyo but the clarity is less but not compromised.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #5,148 of 16,328
  I having tried Opus, I must say this DAP game is stepping up this year. It is priced similar to Onkyo and have the performance (subjectively for me) similar to Onkyo but it's down to sounds signature preference. Opus sounds bassier and narrower than Onkyo but the clarity is less but not compromised.

Interesting, apparently it runs a modified android = no google play store?

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #5,149 of 16,328
I only got a short chance to get my hands on it, feels like Cowon's UI albeit still a bit clunky like the scrolling mechanism.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #5,150 of 16,328
Is that the opus? How's it compare to the Onkyo?
smily_headphones1.gif
both SE and balanced thanks!

The Opus to me has the same signature as the AK240, but I feel that its better than the AK240 with more tonal density and less thinner sounding than the AK240. 
I would still go for the DPX1 tho.. sonically i prefer the DPX1, but the UI is also more stable (memory card at some occasions wasn't able to be read, had to be removed and inserted again) and the screen on the Opus is not as good (read:kinda bad)
All this listening was done single ended didn't go balanced, Sorry guys!

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #5,151 of 16,328
Finally got the Onkyo DP-X1. I got it from Bic Camera from Sapporo,Japan for ¥69000 tax free. I've been listening to it for 2 days before heading to Tokyo to purchase a balanced mmcx cable for my se846. All I can say is,it really sounded good. As for UI/system is no problem for me as I'm a long time android user. I enabled developer option and turn off animation scales for a faster screen response.
Some issues are,I hear a slight hiss with different apps downloaded from the Google play. It's not a big problem for me as I'm using the stock player. But too bad it doesn't play iso,wma and ape files as I got few of them in my micro sd cards. Hopefully with updates,those files will be supported.
The headphone jack socket is kinda loose.. Balanced socket is tight but will have some connection issues if the jack is twisted. It won't have problems if I didn't touch it. So far everything is okay for me as sound quality is my main priority with the dp-x1 Hopefully I won't have problems with the sockets issue. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #5,152 of 16,328
Finally got the Onkyo DP-X1. I got it from Bic Camera from Sapporo,Japan for ¥69000 tax free.  . . .  Balanced socket is tight but will have some connection issues if the jack is twisted. It won't have problems if I didn't touch it. So far everything is okay for me as sound quality is my main priority with the dp-x1 Hopefully I won't have problems with the sockets issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.
smily_headphones1.gif

When you go cable shopping try to pick up a pack of these 2.5 insulators.  They`ve magically fixed every connection issue I`ve had with 2.5TRRS plugs.  

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #5,155 of 16,328
Finally got the Onkyo DP-X1. I got it from Bic Camera from Sapporo,Japan for ¥69000 tax free. I've been listening to it for 2 days before heading to Tokyo to purchase a balanced mmcx cable for my se846. All I can say is,it really sounded good. As for UI/system is no problem for me as I'm a long time android user. I enabled developer option and turn off animation scales for a faster screen response.
Some issues are,I hear a slight hiss with different apps downloaded from the Google play. It's not a big problem for me as I'm using the stock player. But too bad it doesn't play iso,wma and ape files as I got few of them in my micro sd cards. Hopefully with updates,those files will be supported.
The headphone jack socket is kinda loose.. Balanced socket is tight but will have some connection issues if the jack is twisted. It won't have problems if I didn't touch it. So far everything is okay for me as sound quality is my main priority with the dp-x1 Hopefully I won't have problems with the sockets issue. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

For ape files, try Dac fix app + poweramp (turn on MusicFX). I listen on the SE.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #5,156 of 16,328
That's a problem solver, indeed.
Could you please post the page link?

I only know of the Japanese rakuten page: 

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/akiba-eshop/4549325013822/

They are basically an AK thing, and will be a DP-X1 thing as well as more people go balanced.  There are some not very good 2.5trrs plugs out there and I`ve encountered a few . . .   The typical problem is that if you rotate the plug in the socket, one channel will cut out.  It`s simply a tolerance quality-control issue, and these little insulators correct the spacing so all 4 poles can connect.  

I`ve never had any trouble with the Bispa, SAEC and Linum 2.5 cables I`ve used, but a UE 2.5 cable, my Spiralstrands 2.5 cable and the DIY plug I used to recable my T5p all needed these insulators. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #5,158 of 16,328
Great find.  So simple and yet so necessary.  I guess I have been lucky that I never have an issue with my 2.5mm TRRS cables.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,159 of 16,328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back