ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #5,102 of 16,328
Yes, the comments are rather interesting. Sadly they only reinforce my induced aversion to classical and operatic music. The comments from the pretentious and elitist fans of those genres in that article  sadly echo the general sentiment I have had the misfortune to encounter from far too many such ardent supporters. My ex wife's family contained some rather boorish classical trained musicians who had such disdain for any other form of music that it made my blood boil. Frankly, despite once having been a fan of classical music myself I can barely enjoy it due to those negative associations, and it also sadly happens here on occasion.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #5,103 of 16,328
I completely get where your coming from, however in this case I would simply chalk it up to being like the age old discussion on burn in. Those that are on the side of the fence that feel burn in is real, opposite those that feel its very much not real. Either way keeping an open mind and in our cases open ears can allow us to further enjoy the music we already enjoy. Don't let people who are CLEARLY not open to outside suggestions ruin something for you I can only presume hold close.

So, roughly how much time do you have on the onkyo so far? Any difference in sound since originally using?

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #5,104 of 16,328
  I completely get where your coming from, however in this case I would simply chalk it up to being like the age old discussion on burn in. Those that are on the side of the fence that feel burn in is real, opposite those that feel its very much not real. Either way keeping an open mind and in our cases open ears can allow us to further enjoy the music we already enjoy. Don't let people who are CLEARLY not open to outside suggestions ruin something for you I can only presume hold close.

So, roughly how much time do you have on the onkyo so far? Any difference in sound since originally using?

Very true my friend, very true. I can't say I notice a difference, though that is typical for me as I have never been one to detect such differences. I will say that I tend to ascribe to the notion of brain burn-in (I am a psychology major so my bias I guess is obvious). Regardless of mechanical or brain burn-in, I haven't noticed anything, I liked the Onkyo right out of the box. It is a very nice player and I would suggest paired with a slightly warm headphone/IEM makes for a sublime listening experience. Cheers.

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #5,105 of 16,328
What I have always found interesting on the subject of burn-in, is this. At what stage does the opposite (burn-out) happen, when you notice your equipment's music quality deteriorating, and hence you need to throw the offending equipment away even though, if you are honest, it still sounds reasonably okay?

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #5,106 of 16,328
What I have always found interesting on the subject of burn-in, is this. At what stage does the opposite (burn-out) happen, when you notice your equipment's music quality deteriorating, and hence you need to throw the offending equipment away even though, if you are honest, it still sounds reasonably okay?

I suspect we get bored long before that happens and sell it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,107 of 16,328
I just wanted to comment on my take on the Sabre glare issue which I know concerned me. Now as always keep in mind that any sound impression/opinion offered by anybody is the result of many interacting factors, but I would suggest the headphone, source and material are most influential.

My concern was that this glare would grate at my nerves making it hard for extended play time which when you consider how loud I like playback volume is even more of a possibility. I am happy to note that on more than a few occasions I have put an album on (loudly of course) and for instance surfed the forums here or the Internet researching all things I read about here. I find that I have no issue just letting the music play without it pulling at me too much.

Certainly if I was getting fatigued this wouldn't be the case. I am happy about this as I'm sure you can imagine as like others I took a not insignificant chance on an unheard device and was an early adopter. I can't say my experience can be widely generalized, but I don't think I'm very different than many others who frequent the forums here. Anyway, I just wanted to bring my experience with this particular factor/concern up as I know in the past a Sabre based product always gave me pause. It is ultimately the implementation that matters so it would appear that Onkyo tuned the DP-X1 well.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #5,111 of 16,328
^ I've asked technical questions about how this can happen, but nobody has been able to actually explain this process. So we know that an OS would have global handles that a programmer would know exposes things like video or audio paths that ultimately would have to know what hardware is installed and how it is configured. At least that is an educated guess. So Onkyo would need to program I assume methods that would look for the audio output from these apps and route them to take advantage of the hardware DAC, otherwise I assume that Android has standard audio handlers that the app would communicate with that are then processed in the appropriate SoC on the CPU. If this simplified explanation is essentially accurate you would think that it could be done, but it is hard for us to know if this is actually a big undertaking or not. While it sounds like nothing to us, same as folder browsing, perhaps it is actually a lot of work to code this functionality?

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #5,114 of 16,328
^ I've asked technical questions about how this can happen, but nobody has been able to actually explain this process. So we know that an OS would have global handles that a programmer would know exposes things like video or audio paths that ultimately would have to know what hardware is installed and how it is configured. At least that is an educated guess. So Onkyo would need to program I assume methods that would look for the audio output from these apps and route them to take advantage of the hardware DAC, otherwise I assume that Android has standard audio handlers that the app would communicate with that are then processed in the appropriate SoC on the CPU. If this simplified explanation is essentially accurate you would think that it could be done, but it is hard for us to know if this is actually a big undertaking or not. While it sounds like nothing to us, same as folder browsing, perhaps it is actually a lot of work to code this functionality?

Thank you. Sincerely hoping. Or, Android is pitifully underutilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back