ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 2, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4,786 of 16,326
Still listening and testing out my DP-X1 and will share impressions soon. However, I experienced a few "quirks" that may help some folks if they saw the same:
  1. I recommend you erase/format your SD card inside the DP-X1. I did a FAT32 format and copied 350 GB of music across 2 x 200 GB sd cards and when I plugged them into the DP-X1, it just wiped out all files. I had to format with the DP-X1 and after that I could use my Mac's SD card slot or AFT to copy files to the sd cards without issue. Mac users, you should use Blue Harvest to remove all of those extra Mac OS hidden files.
  2. SE output auto detects. That is your output mode can be ACG or Balanced. As the instructions state, once you plug in an SE cable it will automatically switch to SE. However on my unit the fit was bit tight and I did not press down all the way. Normally when you don't plug all the way in, you lose a channel. The DP-X1 behaves differently. I got sound out of both channels, but the sound was really off - very thin and missing mids. If you don't see the headphone icon in the upper left corner, you have not fully inserted the SE cable. Perhaps this explains some folks who state "awful" sound after firmware update.
  3. I have about 11K tracks on both my combined cards. I have no idea how the DP-X1 scans these - on power up or "sync" in the app. I initially saw weird behavior where only some albums showed up in the player and also AFT utility. I finally removed my SD Cards and rebooted to make sure there was no caching of the files. Once I saw that the track list was clear in the player, I put "Sync" to auto and shut down. I reinserted the cards and powered back up. I did not see any notice of media scanning during boot (I did see this before though), but when I launched the player it showed the syncing message. I walked away for about 15 min and came back and the message was gone and all my files displayed in the player and in AFT. I think there is still some background indexing going on - see my battery life note below. Lastly, every time I shut down and power up, it takes about 15 min wait before AFT shows all the folders in both cards. It's sequential, I will see SD card 1 first, then SD card 2. Right after power up, neither display their contents in AFT.
  4. On both Mojo and CDM, simply plugging in and powering up the DAC/Amps auto detects in the player and I get a message if I want to connect to the USB device. Once I select yes, it shows all of the possible sampling rates and works great. You have to make sure the "USB Driver is Valid" option is ticked in settings.
  5. Battery life is horrendous in the first 1-2 days of use. This is normal for Android phones. I suspect there is a lot of background stuff going on and some data gathering for smart power management. I expect full battery life to settle in a week or so. Right now I am getting about 5-6 hours using USB OTG.
  6. You don't need to add a Google account unless you want to install other apps from Google Play. I don't plan to but other may.
  7. And a d'oh moment - The black box that the DP-X1 ships in has a magnetic clasp on one of the sides. Lift up and open. Don't cut it up like I did. There is no visual indicator which side the clasp is on and which way it opens so try all possible orientation.

Some Minor issues
  1. As a DAP, the DP-X1 doesn't seem to have a native 44, 88, or 176 sampling rate. All my files in those sampling rates go up to the next 48 kHz multiple. However in USB OTG mode, it does support the native resolution of all the tracks. Not a huge issue, but odd to say the least.
  2. I am unable to connect to the 5 GHz wifi channel so have to drop down to 2.4. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme. Again, not a major issue, but the specs state otherwise.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #4,787 of 16,326
Today, I found that the screen of my DP-X1 become loose. On of the corner is popped out from the body about 0.5 mm. I can press it back but it will popped out again. My friend also had to exchange for the new one due to static interval noise on the left channel of balanced port.

Here are the pictures of the screen.
Top right corner.

Bottom right corner. (Problem)

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,788 of 16,326
^ Well that certainly sucks. I hope the exchange went smoothly for your friend and that the replacement unit was free of the fault. How about for you, are you getting yours replaced? I would think the screen coming loose is a warranty issue. Bummer, good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #4,789 of 16,326
  ^ Well that certainly sucks. I hope the exchange went smoothly for your friend and that the replacement unit was free of the fault. How about for you, are you getting yours replaced? I would think the screen coming loose is a warranty issue. Bummer, good luck and let us know how it all works out.

My friend was able to exchange for a new unit without a problem. The noise is clearly noticeable once the balanced cable is plugged. I'll visit the store after finishing my work today.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #4,790 of 16,326
  My friend was able to exchange for a new unit without a problem. The noise is clearly noticeable once the balanced cable is plugged. I'll visit the store after finishing my work today.

That's good to know. Ideally electronics never have faults, but sadly that isn't the case. Ultimately it is the service in these situations that most matters; however, it isn't great to hear of failures regardless. Hopefully it is a straight exchange for you as well. Once you have your unit are you and your friend able to test and see if you have any issues with distortion when using 3rd party applications like Neutron, PowerAmp or Gonemad? Just trying to get an idea how many people have issues. Cheers.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #4,791 of 16,326
Just had the opportunity to try the Onkyo and the mojo out extensively again. The Onkyo is indeed an excellent transport, and sounds quite noticeably better as a transport than my x5 when paired with the mojo.

Now comparing the balanced output of the Onkyo to the mojo when paired with the Onkyo, I found the mojo to have perhaps a less airy, slightly less open stage, though not by much. The mojo however, has a more coherent stage in my opinion. It layers better, things that are supposed to be near are near things that are supposed to be far are far. The shape of the soundstage is also more balanced in all the axes. On the Onkyo balanced, while its slightly more open and bigger. It sort of pushes everything back more. Also, the mojo has more weight than the Onkyo balanced, and to my ears, at least, retains its composure better and plays with more finesse and refinement.

Just my Two cents! And yes I acknowledge that the Onkyo as an excellent transport did contribute to this :) No worries if you don't think transport makes a difference, merely giving my own experience :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #4,792 of 16,326
Just had the opportunity to try the Onkyo and the mojo out extensively again. The Onkyo is indeed an excellent transport, and sounds quite noticeably better as a transport than my x5 when paired with the mojo.

Now comparing the balanced output of the Onkyo to the mojo when paired with the Onkyo, I found the mojo to have perhaps a less airy, slightly less open stage, though not by much. The mojo however, has a more coherent stage in my opinion. It layers better, things that are supposed to be near are near things that are supposed to be far are far. The shape of the soundstage is also more balanced in all the axes. On the Onkyo balanced, while its slightly more open and bigger. It sort of pushes everything back more. Also, the mojo has more weight than the Onkyo balanced, and to my ears, at least, retains its composure better and plays with more finesse and refinement.

Just my Two cents! And yes I acknowledge that the Onkyo as an excellent transport did contribute to this
smily_headphones1.gif
No worries if you don't think transport makes a difference, merely giving my own experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Great feedback, and frankly that is an incredible compliment to the Onkyo. The Mojo is just a DAC/Amp and all of it's size and cost is purely dedicated to audio. The Onkyo offers you the transport feature as well as streaming and a decent Android device if needed. So if you really take that into account, for an all in one device, drop it in your pocket and go, the Onkyo is certainly a solid device and full value for the cost. Is it perfect? Of course not, will it be the sound signature for everybody? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it isn't an impressive accomplishment by Onkyo and firmware updates may actually help it get even better. I'm more impressed than I expected to be, and I'm not ashamed to admit how happy I am to this point anyway. Sounds like you are also happy with the investment. I would LOVE to get a Mojo, but I just don't need one which is sad for me.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #4,793 of 16,326
Great feedback, and frankly that is an incredible compliment to the Onkyo. The Mojo is just a DAC/Amp and all of it's size and cost is purely dedicated to audio. The Onkyo offers you the transport feature as well as streaming and a decent Android device if needed. So if you really take that into account, for an all in one device, drop it in your pocket and go, the Onkyo is certainly a solid device and full value for the cost. Is it perfect? Of course not, will it be the sound signature for everybody? Of course not, but that doesn't mean it isn't an impressive accomplishment by Onkyo and firmware updates may actually help it get even better. I'm more impressed than I expected to be, and I'm not ashamed to admit how happy I am to this point anyway. Sounds like you are also happy with the investment. I would LOVE to get a Mojo, but I just don't need one which is sad for me.

If you do though, you will not regret it. With a quality transport (like the Onkyo) it is amazing, drives headphones with authority and drives IEMs with lots of finesse and refinement that I have yet to hear in any DAP.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #4,794 of 16,326
If you do though, you will not regret it. With a quality transport (like the Onkyo) it is amazing, drives headphones with authority and drives IEMs with lots of finesse and refinement that I have yet to hear in any DAP.

I'm sure I will grab one later in the year, but I had to quit work to stay home with my daughter who is suffering from anxiety and depression so suddenly I have no real income to speak of. The DP-X1 was my last foray for a while anyway. It is hard to all of a sudden not be working, really hard, but I also have some 4th year classes to keep me busy. So no Mojo for me I guess, not now anyway.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #4,796 of 16,326
  Swapped out your Hugo have you?

From everything I read about the Mojo, it almost sounds like the Hugo has been made far less of an attractive target. People seem to suggest that the Mojo is only a stone toss away from the Hugo's performance. If so that is quite the feat.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,798 of 16,326
From what I've read the Hugo has more detail, whereas the Mojo is warmer and has a narrower soundstage. Without direct a/b I can't tell that the Mojo is warm or narrow. Just very musical and engaging.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,799 of 16,326
Swapped out my Hugo? Never!!!

The Hugo pulls ahead in a few areas. It is airier with a better spatial reproduction, more open and bigger soundstage, bigger scale and bass slam. The absolute resolution though is not far off. The mojo is surprisingly close considering the price, but not as close as many claim it to be, to my ears at least.

What I like about the way the chord products stage, is that unlike many other competitors which either 1) just throw a wide stage lacking depth or height, or 2) just throw everything out far in the stage, both chord products, while not the widest sounding in their price ranges, have an equally good depth and height to match the width making the stage very convincing. They also layer extremely well, there's a good progression in the stage from near to far.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #4,800 of 16,326
Swapped out my Hugo? Never!!!

The Hugo pulls ahead in a few areas. It is airier with a better spatial reproduction, more open and bigger soundstage, bigger scale and bass slam. The absolute resolution though is not far off. The mojo is surprisingly close considering the price, but not as close as many claim it to be, to my ears at least.

What I like about the way the chord products stage, is that unlike many other competitors which either 1) just throw a wide stage lacking depth or height, or 2) just throw everything out far in the stage, both chord products, while not the widest sounding in their price ranges, have an equally good depth and height to match the width making the stage very convincing. They also layer extremely well, there's a good progression in the stage from near to far.

Yay! Thanks for the feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back