ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #4,801 of 16,326

The issue with third-party apps has already been documented extensively, did you purchase this device with that in mind?
I do believe it is a software fault (as the stock player has no issues) and that Onkyo may be working on a fix on that in conjunction with their work on implementing MQA capability, thus please do not think of it as a deal breaker.

In the meantime, I would advise you to set the gain on the player to 'low gain'
This in no way eliminates the issue, but it at least reduces the apparent distortion to much lower levels, such that it is near undetectable on most tracks.
(You'd possibly need a very sensitive IEM like the Empire Ears Zeus and/or very sensitive ears to pick up on such low levels of distortion on some tracks.)
While this is in no way a solid fix for the issue, it is a decent workaround for Tidal users until Onkyo manages to fix the issue.

Many thanks Zenifyx - I did try low gain and could still hear the distortion, although it could be that setting would be more bearable for day to day use. Re: The purchase decision, I suspect like many others I ordered my DP-X1 well before Christmas when the reports around Tidal were very isolated (they still are, many people such as Sonic Defender above have no issues - P.S. ty SD for the kind words). Part of posting here was adding another data point to the side that do hear issues, so people don't think it is restricted to one or other listening setup. Anyway, fingers crossed for a solution one day soon - sure I will still get plenty of enjoyment from the default app!

Hi Nonnynoo

I bought my DP-X1 predominantly for a Tidal use as well.
It works beautifully most of the time, but I have also noticed the odd drop-out mid-song (probably less than half a second but obviously annoying). I found that switching the Onkyo off and then back on solves the problem. It doesn't happen often, so I expect the software glitch will be sorted out at some stage, but I offer this straightforward solution.

I'm not getting any distortion or hiss.

5ghz wifi sometimes hard to pick up. I had assumed this was the Android OS (I'm an iPhone person so not an expert on Android).

Overall, the balanced output with Tidal (I tend to download albums for offline listening on the move) sounds fantastic and I'll forgive them the odd glitch as long as they listen to customers and look into it.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #4,802 of 16,326
From everything I read about the Mojo, it almost sounds like the Hugo has been made far less of an attractive target. People seem to suggest that the Mojo is only a stone toss away from the Hugo's performance. If so that is quite the feat.

/OT

Including John Franks (Chord CEO) and Rob Watts. They really do equate the Mojo to the Hugo. Of course Mojo has less inputs, less battery life and no cross feed or Bluetooth. Performance wise they've said quite clearly the Mojo is not really inferior to the Hugo. Actually superior in some specs. There is some serious tech packed in to the little box that's tuned slightly differently.

Like you said though, not as convenient as a stand alone DAP.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,803 of 16,326
The new FW is already out. Size is 740.9 MB.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,805 of 16,326
Just got the update notification for the new firmware, anyone already updated? as for me I will update later when I got home from the office for a stable connection.

Download in progress. Let's see if Onkyo could become USB DAC from this FW.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #4,806 of 16,326
  Still listening and testing out my DP-X1 and will share impressions soon. However, I experienced a few "quirks" that may help some folks if they saw the same:
  1. I recommend you erase/format your SD card inside the DP-X1. I did a FAT32 format and copied 350 GB of music across 2 x 200 GB sd cards and when I plugged them into the DP-X1, it just wiped out all files. I had to format with the DP-X1 and after that I could use my Mac's SD card slot or AFT to copy files to the sd cards without issue. Mac users, you should use Blue Harvest to remove all of those extra Mac OS hidden files.
  2. SE output auto detects. That is your output mode can be ACG or Balanced. As the instructions state, once you plug in an SE cable it will automatically switch to SE. However on my unit the fit was bit tight and I did not press down all the way. Normally when you don't plug all the way in, you lose a channel. The DP-X1 behaves differently. I got sound out of both channels, but the sound was really off - very thin and missing mids. If you don't see the headphone icon in the upper left corner, you have not fully inserted the SE cable. Perhaps this explains some folks who state "awful" sound after firmware update.
  3. I have about 11K tracks on both my combined cards. I have no idea how the DP-X1 scans these - on power up or "sync" in the app. I initially saw weird behavior where only some albums showed up in the player and also AFT utility. I finally removed my SD Cards and rebooted to make sure there was no caching of the files. Once I saw that the track list was clear in the player, I put "Sync" to auto and shut down. I reinserted the cards and powered back up. I did not see any notice of media scanning during boot (I did see this before though), but when I launched the player it showed the syncing message. I walked away for about 15 min and came back and the message was gone and all my files displayed in the player and in AFT. I think there is still some background indexing going on - see my battery life note below. Lastly, every time I shut down and power up, it takes about 15 min wait before AFT shows all the folders in both cards. It's sequential, I will see SD card 1 first, then SD card 2. Right after power up, neither display their contents in AFT.
  4. On both Mojo and CDM, simply plugging in and powering up the DAC/Amps auto detects in the player and I get a message if I want to connect to the USB device. Once I select yes, it shows all of the possible sampling rates and works great. You have to make sure the "USB Driver is Valid" option is ticked in settings.
  5. Battery life is horrendous in the first 1-2 days of use. This is normal for Android phones. I suspect there is a lot of background stuff going on and some data gathering for smart power management. I expect full battery life to settle in a week or so. Right now I am getting about 5-6 hours using USB OTG.
  6. You don't need to add a Google account unless you want to install other apps from Google Play. I don't plan to but other may.
  7. And a d'oh moment - The black box that the DP-X1 ships in has a magnetic clasp on one of the sides. Lift up and open. Don't cut it up like I did. There is no visual indicator which side the clasp is on and which way it opens so try all possible orientation.

Some Minor issues
  1. As a DAP, the DP-X1 doesn't seem to have a native 44, 88, or 176 sampling rate. All my files in those sampling rates go up to the next 48 kHz multiple. However in USB OTG mode, it does support the native resolution of all the tracks. Not a huge issue, but odd to say the least.
  2. I am unable to connect to the 5 GHz wifi channel so have to drop down to 2.4. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme. Again, not a major issue, but the specs state otherwise.

So with OTG there is no upsampling, is that with the Onkyo player or third party player and is it same with Tidal? TIA

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #4,807 of 16,326
Anyone notice different sound with the new FW? Maybe a placebo but I feel like the sound is more refine.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,811 of 16,326
Fast forward / Backward button work like they mention in change log. I hope the SD Card unexpected remove problem fixed in this firmware. And I don't see any option related to make Onkyo become USB DAC. Maybe they mean fix compatibility with external USB DAC?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #4,813 of 16,326
Well I updated and reset the player for good measure. I cannot speak to any differences quite yet, but after reading some recent posts I was surprised to see people were getting 5GHz wifi. I never saw a 5GHz network and had assumed it was simply not an option. This was the case before and after the upgrade, not something related. Looks like I have yet another wonderful Japanese beta unit, the joy of sending it back for repair. I may wait this out as 2.4GHz is good enough for streaming.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #4,814 of 16,326
OTA update received this morning, nice to see the google bar has disappeared.

The more I listen to this DAP the more I love it's sound signature, paired with my Aurisonics ASG 2.5 last night and the pairing was excellent.  I'm not usually one for synergy but there is a definite synergy between the 2.5 and the Onkyo.  Punchy, detailed with a nice slam to the bass(bass ports off on the 2.5).

Regarding the Tidal issue.  I'm still not hearing any distortion but do notice that the sound is different, not as refined as the stock player but not distorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back