ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4,261 of 16,326
Sure, and this is your opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think someone has much exp with higher end equipments as well as owning collection of them is going to be biased as someone only has 1 or 2 of certain brand
(Taking example of Rudi)
He said DP-X1 is clearly better than X7 and on pair or even better than QP1R pairing with Mojo. DP-X1 is the best source with the best synergy for Mojo available. Even his AK lines AK380 wouldn't be better. I take his opinion as "Reference" that means I won't deny but keep an open mind. I have owned Fiio X5 , it's good device for the price but it won't hold a candle to ZX2 not even DP-X1 . The price of current DP-X1 is unbelievable like Mojo.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #4,262 of 16,326
Fiio X5ii sound a little dull to my ears, especially the vocal. I prefer DX90 over X5ii and yes, it's just my opinion.

Looking at the price range, compare the Onkyo with Paw Gold is hilarious. If Paw Gold sound worse than the Onkyo it would be a real shame.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #4,264 of 16,326
  I feel for you guys, I remember the waiting!!!

I don't think you'll regret it, I know I don't :)

I ordered around the 5th Jan using standard and they told me last week that they were hoping to ship around the 25th.

Anyone make a standard shipping order from PriceJapan in early Jan get a shipping notice yet? I am right at 3 weeks from order date.

It might be worth your while to contact PriceJapan and either
1. upgrade your order to the expedited order and have a 3 day turnaround,
2. cancel and re-order with the 3 day despatch or
3. continue to wait.

Personally I did not order initially from PriceJapan because of the wait, since 1st looking they have brought out the 3 day dispatch which I jumped on. My delivery is due Tuesday 26th but I will be at work...

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #4,265 of 16,326

It might be worth your while to contact PriceJapan and either upgrade your order to the expedited order and have a 3 day turnaround, cancel and re-order with he 3 day despatch or continue to wait.

Personally I did not order initially from PriceJapan because of the wait, since 1st looking they have brought out the 3 day dispatch which I jumped on. My delivery is due Tuesday 26th but I will be at work...

Maybe, but later batches of production may be worth the wait. Pure speculation of course.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #4,266 of 16,326
To solve the Mojo v DP-X1 dilemma, I just got both. Life's too short.

+1

That is the best way to do it. Hype is real on dp-x1, and so did Mojo hype. However, it is a fact that DP-X1 is a standalone device as DAP and offer Balanced output, where as Mojo is only a DAC and has no balanced output. It is also a fact that SE is inferior to properly implemented Balanced output, and not to mention that DP-X1 has 1 DAC + amp combo on each channel. You will witness the differences in soundstage, clarity, and layering. I also said that Mojo probably is the best from SE connection on sound quality of anything 2x it's price, and in my case that I compared against ZX2, and it really outshines Zx2 in SE, but not in ACG separate grounds connection

I spoke out of my own experiences, what I observed, and for his question of cutting back 1 device so he doesn't lose it. It is a sole good enough reason to buy a standalone DAP instead of having a phone + DAC.

MMMV but I'll let you know in a few days after I have had a chance to compare them side by side, then I'll let you know if your opinion is wrong (joking by the way)
On paper it may be better but.......... we all have differing opinions, tastes and perceptions

+1 same here :)

Me too

Now if only Mojo supports balanced input and output like mass kobo 404, it would be like having a kid watching Power Rangers for the first time where the megazord (DP-X1) got that green robot power up (Mojo).

If only

I have Mojo and Onkyo, they pair well together. Without Onkyo as source, I prefer Onkyo over my Mojo + iphone any days ...

I'm looking forward to hearing the Onkyo as a standalone DAP

I need to say I didn't feel all the hype with sound quality with the Onkyo, unfortunately.
Looks more of the same, for me.

The Lotoo Paw Gold is much more rich in any way. And the most "funny" is I didn't expect this from the Lotoo Paw Gold. I thought I was spend tons of money and use like paper holder. hehehehehe
The good thing is for streaming music, two slots, is fast... But I will stay with the Lotoo for pleasure listening.

An example of differing tastes

I think the selection of quotes above signifies one important finding

We should all include something along the lines of "In my own opinion" or "to my ears" or "for my personal tastes" when making statements like
X is better than Y

Never has the abbreviation  YMMV been more apt
wink_face.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #4,267 of 16,326
Sound is subjective which is why there is variety..
I find the Onk has its place, frankly enjoying it quite a bit.. Add the mojo.. Try different headphones/iems. I change it up.. Depends on my mood really. Have I gone back to my x5ii yet?? Mmm not yet.. Newness is in favor of the Onk. Currently single ended and awaiting balanced. Yes it's unfortunate Mojo isn't balanced.. Still I personally love it though. Variety is the spice of life haha ya? Onk for the $=:thumbsup: Just my take anyway.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #4,268 of 16,326
I just got my DP-x1 and it is still on the 125 firmware without giving me the option of an ota update. I downloaded the linked 126 firmware (thanks @pegasus21!) but I have no clue how to put the Onkyo into the recovery mode...could someone give me a hint?

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,269 of 16,326
Suffice to say I think the last few firmware updates have more or less stabilised the Onkyo, so I'm getting one too. A buddy says it performs better than AK240 so I'm thrilled to find out as well.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4,271 of 16,326
  I just got my DP-x1 and it is still on the 125 firmware without giving me the option of an ota update. I downloaded the linked 126 firmware (thanks @pegasus21!) but I have no clue how to put the Onkyo into the recovery mode...could someone give me a hint?

Hold power + skip button (lowest button on the right side) till it boots

I think that's the combination

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #4,272 of 16,326
Wish I could help.. Got mine from price japan quick ship in 7 days from order to my hands. That was last Thursday I received it. It had 1.26.2_20151221 SW version
Also has a nice fit on both headphone jacks, hardly any gap

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #4,273 of 16,326

Turn off the device.
Then press power button + skip track button (the one beside the power button) until you see a penguin appear on the screen.
Wait. (It takes awhile to load on this device)

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #4,275 of 16,326
Wish I could help.. Got mine from price japan quick ship in 7 days from order to my hands. That was last Thursday I received it. It had 1.26.2_20151221 SW version
Also has a nice fit on both headphone jacks, hardly any gap

Lucky you! Mine came with the old firmware and the gap round the headphone jacks. I compared the gaps with the jacks on the DX90 and the Mojo and the DP-X1 gaps are definitely bigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back