ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 25, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #4,232 of 16,328
I have been using a Chord Mojo for tha last month with Oppo PM-3, Flare R2Pro IEMs and TH-X00. Sources Fiio X3II and LG G4. Question is, do I sell the Mojo and get one of these Onkyo players? Can I expect similar sound quality? The DP-X1 looks more practical as it would cut down one device to worry about on the go, but if I have to strap the Mojo to it to enjoy my music then I'd rather pass.
I'm thinking selling the Mojo would just about cover the cost of the DP-X1. So, should I do it?

I totally would recommend selling Mojo and get DP-X1. Mojo does not have the soundstage that is spherical like DP-x1 in balanced mode. I know many people is after "Chord electric" reputation, jumping on the hype train, and all. Mojo is good fit you only use SE (singled ended) connection, heck, it could be best below $1200 in SE connection....not balanced. So if your priority is 1 single device, I would go with Onkyo. Cheer

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #4,233 of 16,328
I heard Mojo and DP-X1 with iems in e-earphone and actually preferred the sound of the DP-X1 even in SE mode.

The layering is amazing on the DP-X1.

But could be matter of taste I guess, this is purely subjective first impressions after listening to both for about 30 mins in a store.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #4,234 of 16,328
  ... The plan was to listen to T5p and the equivalent A&K version. Out of the too I preferred T5p and then I saw Ether C's hanging on the wall and decided to give them a go out of curiosity. What can I say, these are simply amazing. Not sure if Onkyo can get the best out of them but they sounded great. I'm saving for Ether C now. Has anyone else tried this combo? Any reccomendations for balanced cable?

I've yet to hear of anyone listening to the Ether Cs and being unimpressed. It does seem to be a case of one listen, forever smitten.

I too am considering the T5p but hope to have the opportunity to try the Ethers later this week. I have a feeling that it may prove expensive for me. I would have thought that the DB-X1 in balanced mode is well capable of exploiting their capabilities and, as for cables, others will disagree but I doubt you can do better than Mr Speaker's own DUM cables.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #4,235 of 16,328
I got the T5p and use it on the DP-X1 in SE mode.

The result is impressive : the soundstage is big, the sound is very clear (maybe too clear for some people). It's easy to locate each instrument.

It's not my favorite combo (maybe a little lack of bass) but it's a good one.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #4,236 of 16,328
I totally would recommend selling Mojo and get DP-X1. Mojo does not have the soundstage that is spherical like DP-x1 in balanced mode. I know many people is after "Chord electric" reputation, jumping on the hype train, and all. Mojo is good fit you only use SE (singled ended) connection, heck, it could be best below $1200 in SE connection....not balanced. So if your priority is 1 single device, I would go with Onkyo. Cheer

I personally would keep the Mojo and order the DP-X1 to compare the two, which is what I've done. 

The DP-X1 is having it's own hype train at the moment, no proper reviews as of yet but people claiming it's better than x, y and z.  I'm not saying it isn't and I can't wait to try my one when it gets to me but there is no way way I'd sell the Mojo before hearing the DP-X1 which has had good positive reviews away from the massive hype/fanboy type threads here on headfi.  And i mean hype for all products not just the DP-X1.  

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #4,238 of 16,328

I've yet to hear of anyone listening to the Ether Cs and being unimpressed. It does seem to be a case of one listen, forever smitten.

I too am considering the T5p but hope to have the opportunity to try the Ethers later this week. I have a feeling that it may prove expensive for me. I would have thought that the DB-X1 in balanced mode is well capable of exploiting their capabilities and, as for cables, others will disagree but I doubt you can do better than Mr Speaker's own DUM cables.

I liked T5p at first, it's what I like - very clear sound, it could benefit from a little more bass I think. The A&K equivalent had more bass but I thought that was at the expense of overshadowing the mids. SRH1540 were the other pair of headphones I tried, that was way too much bass for my liking. Unfortunately I was running out of time and didn't spend enough time with Ether C, however, my impression was it was as clear and detailed as T5p but very smooth. T5p's sounded harsh (even though they are not really) compared to Ether C. I used balanced cable but I found I had to crank up the volume a bit. It will take me couple of weeks to come up with funds, I will then go for another demo and most likely buy Ether C, they are expensive but I think worth it. DUM cable could be an option, not sure if they've got 2.5mm plug though.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #4,239 of 16,328
Agree, I'll let the hype die down and perhaps wait for the local release and personally test it against Mojo.

I've ordered it on import as I think the price if it is ever released in the UK will be well over the £420 I've paid to import.  

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #4,240 of 16,328
I personally would keep the Mojo and order the DP-X1 to compare the two, which is what I've done. 

The DP-X1 is having it's own hype train at the moment, no proper reviews as of yet but people claiming it's better than x, y and z.  I'm not saying it isn't and I can't wait to try my one when it gets to me but there is no way way I'd sell the Mojo before hearing the DP-X1 which has had good positive reviews away from the massive hype/fanboy type threads here on headfi.  And i mean hype for all products not just the DP-X1.  

That is the best way to do it. Hype is real on dp-x1, and so did Mojo hype. However, it is a fact that DP-X1 is a standalone device as DAP and offer Balanced output, where as Mojo is only a DAC and has no balanced output. It is also a fact that SE is inferior to properly implemented Balanced output, and not to mention that DP-X1 has 1 DAC + amp combo on each channel. You will witness the differences in soundstage, clarity, and layering. I also said that Mojo probably is the best from SE connection on sound quality of anything 2x it's price, and in my case that I compared against ZX2, and it really outshines Zx2 in SE, but not in ACG separate grounds connection

I spoke out of my own experiences, what I observed, and for his question of cutting back 1 device so he doesn't lose it. It is a sole good enough reason to buy a standalone DAP instead of having a phone + DAC.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #4,241 of 16,328
Decided to go to CanJam Singapore, I have been shortening my list down for possible balanced IEM to pair with my DP-X1

UM Maverick
Kumitate Lab Trio
Dita Balanced
AK T8ie

anyone would like to add to the list? I prefer a bit to the brighter spectrum of sound with vast sound stage. I came from IE800 as I have previously mentioned before.

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #4,242 of 16,328
  Decided to go to CanJam Singapore, I have been shortening my list down for possible balanced IEM to pair with my DP-X1

UM Maverick
Kumitate Lab Trio
Dita Balanced
AK T8ie

anyone would like to add to the list? I prefer a bit to the brighter spectrum of sound with vast sound stage. I came from IE800 as I have previously mentioned before.

Well, if you prefer bright IEM then the AK T8ie is probably not for you, it's a warm (yet transparent and detailed) IEM. Compared to the IE800 you'll loose some punch in the bass department and some sparkle up top, overall less energetic but what you'll loose in energy, punch and sparkle you'll gain in texture, micro contrast, micro dynamics and low level detail. Mids are smoother. Soundstage wise, width is fairly similar but depth is significantly better on the T8ie and height a tad better too (overall more 3D). T8ie has better speed, thanks to the Tesla driver it's up in very good BAs territory (but not TOTL mutli-BA territory).

It sure pairs very well with the DP-X1, but it's still a warm IEM (for me the potential endgame warm IEM).
From what I have read, DITA might fit the bill better.
I have heard a bit about the Rhapsodio Galaxy too but I think it's on the warm side (not much info, pretty new).

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #4,243 of 16,328

That is the best way to do it. Hype is real on dp-x1, and so did Mojo hype. However, it is a fact that DP-X1 is a standalone device as DAP and offer Balanced output, where as Mojo is only a DAC and has no balanced output. It is also a fact that SE is inferior to properly implemented Balanced output, and not to mention that DP-X1 has 1 DAC + amp combo on each channel. You will witness the differences in soundstage, clarity, and layering. I also said that Mojo probably is the best from SE connection on sound quality of anything 2x it's price, and in my case that I compared against ZX2, and it really outshines Zx2 in SE, but not in ACG separate grounds connection

I spoke out of my own experiences, what I observed, and for his question of cutting back 1 device so he doesn't lose it. It is a sole good enough reason to buy a standalone DAP instead of having a phone + DAC.

That's a very fair summary. If Mojo is in Hugo territory than undoubtedly a fantastic SE output, but still obviously needs stacking with a transport. Onkyo balanced out is phenomenal and either one-box solution or can be used as transport with Mojo/Hugo/ALO CDM etc, all of which are absolutely top end SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back