ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 24, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #4,216 of 16,328
@davidmolliere I totally agree with your impression. For me DP-X1 is details monster with greatly wide soundstage, airy and dynamics. It reveal everything to the bone. I'm eager to try the Onkyo with HiFiman HE-400S which is the open-back headphone in my shortlist and quite sure they will get along really well.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #4,217 of 16,328
  @davidmolliere I totally agree with your impression. For me DP-X1 is details monster with greatly wide soundstage, airy and dynamics. It reveal everything to the bone. I'm eager to try the Onkyo with HiFiman HE-400S which is the open-back headphone in my shortlist and quite sure they will get along really well.

I have adapters coming from PETEREK that will allow me to use my 400i balanced with the Onkyo. Driving the 400i SE from the Onkyo in my view wasn't appropriate as it seemed underpowered. I will have to use balanced without ACG to leverage the extra amplification with the 400i, but at least it should be adequate for moderate volume listening with modern louder recordings. There is no way that the Onkyo could drive the 400i, even in balanced, well enough to get satisfactory volume for older, more dynamic recordings. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #4,218 of 16,328
  I have adapters coming from PETEREK that will allow me to use my 400i balanced with the Onkyo. Driving the 400i SE from the Onkyo in my view wasn't appropriate as it seemed underpowered. I will have to use balanced without ACG to leverage the extra amplification with the 400i, but at least it should be adequate for moderate volume listening with modern louder recordings. There is no way that the Onkyo could drive the 400i, even in balanced, well enough to get satisfactory volume for older, more dynamic recordings. 

From the spec Onkyo in balanced mode could drive up to 600 Ohms headphones.

HE400i spec is Sensitivity : 93dB / Impedance : 35 Ohms

Cut the 'good matching or not' off. I can't see why Onkyo in balanced mode can't reach enough headroom for HE400i. Did you tried HE400i in balanced mode already?

HE400s spec is Sensitivity : 98dB / Impedance : 22 Ohms. HIFIMAN website stated that HE400s is 'one of the highest efficiency planar phones in the world! HIFIMAN’s newest HE400S sounds terrific on your smartphone or most any portable audio device' I'm quite sure the Onkyo can drive it really well, especially with balanced cable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #4,219 of 16,328
I've taken my dp-x1 to a few hifi stores and listened to a number of headphones. Out of moderatly priced ones my preference is B&O H6. Very clean highs and mids, and just enough bass, the lows aren't the deepest but  tight and punchy. I would be perfectly happy with these for portable use but I found the ear caps too small. I've also tried PM3 and although highs and mids were nice there was something I didn't like about the low frequencies, something I couldn't quit put my finger on. Same story with PM3's, the ear cups are too small. I also tried NAD viso's but put them down after couple of minutes, they are just uncomfortable. That lead me to full size headphones... The plan was to listen to T5p and the equivalent A&K version. Out of the too I preferred T5p and then I saw Ether C's hanging on the wall and decided to give them a go out of curiosity. What can I say, these are simply amazing. Not sure if Onkyo can get the best out of them but they sounded great. I'm saving for Ether C now. Has anyone else tried this combo? Any reccomendations for balanced cable?

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #4,220 of 16,328

From the spec Onkyo in balanced mode could drive up to 600 Ohms headphones.

HE400i spec is Sensitivity : 93dB / Impedance : 35 Ohms

Cut the 'good matching or not' off. I can't see why Onkyo in balanced mode can't reach enough headroom for HE400i. Did you tried HE400i in balanced mode already?

HE400s spec is Sensitivity : 98dB / Impedance : 22 Ohms. HIFIMAN website stated that HE400s is 'one of the highest efficiency planar phones in the world! HIFIMAN’s newest HE400S sounds terrific on your smartphone or most any portable audio device' I'm quite sure the Onkyo can drive it really well, especially with balanced cable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did try it, but only SE, my balanced cable adapter for the 400i isn't here yet. Still, in SE I had the DP-X1 almost at full and it was quiet by my standards anyway. It was decent, but I like loud playback so I think balanced with the DP-X1 will get me pretty close to where I want to be. Still, the PM3 is my go to for this reason, the 400i will just give me an option, but if I'm using the 400i I'll just drive it from my main rig most of the time.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #4,221 of 16,328
Any reccomendations for balanced cable?

Thanks.

I'm sure there are plenty of balanced cable makers you could use, but PETEREK made my DP-X1/PM3 cable and I know he is doing a few others for DP-X1 owners so he has the pin outs down cold. Great work and super friendly guy.

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #4,223 of 16,328

Thank you. Is there a website or you just contact PETEREK through the forums?

I just contact him here the forums. I'm sure you'll be pleased with his work. Cheers.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #4,225 of 16,328
I have been using a Chord Mojo for tha last month with Oppo PM-3, Flare R2Pro IEMs and TH-X00. Sources Fiio X3II and LG G4. Question is, do I sell the Mojo and get one of these Onkyo players? Can I expect similar sound quality? The DP-X1 looks more practical as it would cut down one device to worry about on the go, but if I have to strap the Mojo to it to enjoy my music then I'd rather pass.
I'm thinking selling the Mojo would just about cover the cost of the DP-X1. So, should I do it?

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #4,226 of 16,328
Tough call, it depends how much you value one device. There is no doubt the DP-X1 sounds fantastic, no doubt at all. It is also a question of sound signature preference. Personally, for me, one device is the key as if for whatever reason you need to adjust the sound signature a little, the Onkyo has a very nice EQ at your disposal. Either way you go you'll have awesome sound so nothing to regret either way.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #4,228 of 16,328
I have been using a Chord Mojo for tha last month with Oppo PM-3, Flare R2Pro IEMs and TH-X00. Sources Fiio X3II and LG G4. Question is, do I sell the Mojo and get one of these Onkyo players? Can I expect similar sound quality? The DP-X1 looks more practical as it would cut down one device to worry about on the go, but if I have to strap the Mojo to it to enjoy my music then I'd rather pass.
I'm thinking selling the Mojo would just about cover the cost of the DP-X1. So, should I do it?

Quite a tough call! I was using an x3ii and jumped to the DP-X1 hehehehe. Haven't tried the Mojo, but from what i've heard it does magic to your sound. Will you miss it if you let it go? :grin:

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #4,229 of 16,328
  Hey guys, anyone experience this phenomenon for their DP-X1? u play on shuffle repeat all and on all song, suddenly it stops playing and you have to re-initiate the playing sequence again.

Yes I have had it erratically and waited to get a finer sense of what happened to cause it, puzlling
I even had to reboot in my case.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #4,230 of 16,328
  Question is, do I sell the Mojo and get one of these Onkyo players? Can I expect similar sound quality? The DP-X1 looks more practical as it would cut down one device to worry about on the go, but if I have to strap the Mojo to it to enjoy my music then I'd rather pass.

I am biased as I think the Mojo sounds different to anything I have listened to and it captivates me... this being said, if you're using Mojo essentially on the go and don't need to drive high impedance / low sensitivity heaphones, you can safely get the DP-X1 as you say it's more pratical. 

I wouldn't expect them to sound similar as they have a different signature. The Mojo is fuller and more forward, with spectacular dynamics it definitely packs more punch. The DP-X1 has wider soundstage and sounds airier to me.

Hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back