ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 19, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #3,826 of 16,328

The collar is certainly not just cosmetic, it's a key component in the strength and security of the balanced jack. Even if the jack could still be used with a missing collar (which seems unlikely from photos and user reports), the PCB mounted part of the connector would quickly fail causing even more damage.

Glue over the top is not going to work either, it would need to be applied inside the player. I doubt many owners of a new device would want to attempt that.

Also I haven't looked at the connections but does it provide a ground or is it just mechanical and electrically isolated?

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #3,827 of 16,328

Thanks for trying with Neutron - it's good to know you found no problems.

I think the hiss and distortion are separate issues. Any hiss is likely to be associated with sensitive IEMs. The distortion was recorded by @earfonia and made available here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2Mi2rrmALKFdzAxVGpscHhWc1U&usp=sharing

The distortion on the third-party playback is very obvious, not a subtle effect that needs careful listening and comparison.

The obvious distortion happen only with this track or every track?

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #3,829 of 16,328
My DP-X1 is out for delivery this morning, let's hope that contrary to the customs, it goes smooth can't wait!!!

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3,830 of 16,328
  So you only get the loud hissing with sensitive IEMs and a third party app? Forgiver me asking if that had already been made clear earlier.

Yes, I only get the loud distortion/hissing with third party apps, none on the stock player (for the same track).
I can detect it slightly on my headphones as well, but at a level too minute that I cannot confidently rule out expectation bias - thus the suggestion to use IEMs to more clearly accentuate the issue.
I think its no mere coincidence that the only 2 people that reported to have tested it out and reported no issues at all were using headphones.
Do note that even @TheOneInYellow (who did not hear any distortion on his AKG K712) heard the distortion quite clearly on his Heir 4Ai.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #3,831 of 16,328
The collar is certainly not just cosmetic, it's a key component in the strength and security of the balanced jack. Even if the jack could still be used with a missing collar (which seems unlikely from photos and user reports), the PCB mounted part of the connector would quickly fail causing even more damage.

Glue over the top is not going to work either, it would need to be applied inside the player. I doubt many owners of a new device would want to attempt that.

You are correct. By gluing on the outside, it does help minimize the jack being moved around too much during plug/unplug and help in the socket not breaking off. But this had been quiet an issues for many cases including A&K, and I had said this before. 2.5mm is too small, so it is already weak, on top of that ....4 poles...TRRS ....which makes it worse. The socket by picture is square ....it would have been better if it was rounded, so I called this a design flaw. Square socket is weak even in 3.5mm....I can't imagine resoldering works on these guys :mad:

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #3,832 of 16,328
Even if 2.5mm TRRS is weak by definition I can't believe there is no way to build the socket better, I mean I don't remember any reports on AK's side or is there?

It's really puzzling that an otherwise well built unit would suffer from this, I am going to be paranoid with it and I am already looking at a right angled cable or else I'll stick to 3.5 unbalanced on the go...

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #3,833 of 16,328
AK got sold many throughout Asia more than in the US and UK lol :D....problems were usually discussed during offline sessions by local audiophiles....and you bet that they can't speak English tehehehe...anyways...lets me pull up some pictures here.

I do not want to exaggerate the problems, just simply want to help people to be more careful with their device so it can last much longer

Notice that 2.5 TRRS being smaller in diameter than 3.5 ? Not sure if Onkyo "stuffed" the tolerances between that socket to the chassis ? Or leave it as is ? Or didn't do an adequate stuffing to minimize the travels and plays of the sockets upon insert/removal of jacks ?...

By the way, do not use right-angled on the X1 2.5 TRRS. Like I said, the 2.5mm is too small, being TRRS 4 poles just make it much weaker. Being right angle - leaving it at the most "perfect striking angle". ....is some forces were to be applied...it is done for. Seeing how it got broken off by people insert/removals of jacks....I have 0 doubt that angled jack would done even faster, easier , more damage to it

The reason why I chose L-angled 3.5 TRRS on ZX2 is because Zx2 slot was built into the right corner of the device, and was built "stuffed" onto the chassis corner like a tank + the strap on the stock pouch....it ain't moving anywhere with L-angled plug. Here on X1, it is right in the middle :D lol

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,835 of 16,328
To my knowledge, @earfonia, @gearofwar, @crazypaladin and @PoRidge have reported various issues on apps such as Spotify and Tidal.
Including me, that's at least 5 people right there.

You are spot on. There are at least 5 folks who experienced these problems. Question is, how many of those who have not experienced it had try to reproduce them based on our feedback?

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #3,836 of 16,328

Okay, I'm going to try Tidal on the DP-X1, and on my Blackberry Leap. I'll try to hear this obvious distortion so I'll keep the volume lower than my normal listening level. I'm also going to download that FLAC test file and try it on the DP-X1.

You should test it at normal listening level to avoid too many variables. Furthermore, lower volume, lower hiss/distortion right?

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3,837 of 16,328
A 512gb microsd was released in July you can check this one as example, but i remember the ona was presented cost $500 and was another brand:
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32596000341.html

First of all, I could not find official Transcend product list to include 512 GB microSD card. I suspect this is a fake card. The highest known capacity available for sale is 200 GB Sandisk microSD card. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #3,838 of 16,328
Even if 2.5mm TRRS is weak by definition I can't believe there is no way to build the socket better, I mean I don't remember any reports on AK's side or is there?

Actually AK had many reports of the 2.5mm jack loosing connection, even with AK240SS, it simply is not a good standard, but DP-X1 issue is a bit different, regarding the casing and not the jack.

Quote:
I have the QP1R and despite the specs, I can tell you it drives HD800, LCD-3 and LCD-XC well (and I have all these cans as well). :) 

Cool. I never take specs at face value. Nonetheless, if it measures at 40mW it must have certain limitations, even if it can "drive" most can's, some can's favor current, others favor power (mW), and some like voltage swing, etc, etc.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #3,840 of 16,328
Actually AK had many reports of the 2.5mm jack loosing connection, even with AK240SS, it simply is not a good standard, but DP-X1 issue is a bit different, regarding the casing and not the jack.

Cool. I never take specs at face value. Nonetheless, if it measures at 40mW it must have certain limitations, even if it can "drive" most can's, some can's favor current, others favor power (mW), and some like voltage swing, etc, etc.

Well said T.R.A.N.C.E I don't understand why Onkyo would chase after AK on the TRRS thingy though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back