ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,856 of 16,326
Once again, please note, using high gain will not damage the most sensitive IEMs. All that matters is the ultimate volume that you select.

I second this. But distortion also increased with high gain.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,857 of 16,326
I just tried the 3.5 jack, same resistance and clamping force upon insertion of the jack. Definitely not happening on the XDP-100. It means extra care each time you unplug anything, balanced or not. I understand Onkyo wanting to secure the jack into the plug with a strong clamp but it's probably not a good idea. If the jack is torn off for whatever reason, you got yourself a predictable problem...

On a sidenote, I am pretty pleased with the SQ single ended with the NightHawks :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,858 of 16,326
To me, there is at the least 0.75 mm gap between the socket to the body chassis (frame).

The red pointed to the gap. He blue is the line to show that the chassis has 2 equal sizes opening for these 2 sockets, while 3.5mm and 2.5mm, they are clearly different sizes, the 3.5mm has very little tolerance to the chassis, which won't seem to be moving that easily, however the 2.5mm with that huge of a gap. It is a different story...I am surprised that technical and quality engineering made a pass...

This gap is large enough so that the socket could come lose by unplugging and plugging after many times, ofcourse only a little pull to a different angle would be enough to separate the socket from the motherboard and crack up the soldering joins. It seems that both sockets are held onto the motherboard (alone by itself). I would absolutely recommend that you do not force push or apply forces your onto the sockets at all cost.

Here is another angle of the gap. Honestly, this is a serious design flaw, not even smartphone has sockets this way. You can even see the frame inside as well...lol

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,860 of 16,326
I am very positive that it is a huge gap. The pioneer doesn't have 2.5mm TRRS balanced. Like I said, the wholes for both sockets are the same size on the chassis and seems to be originally designed for dual 3.5mm socket...however there is a 2.5mm socket here, and that is where the problem is. The "tolerance" on 3.5mm to the frame is acceptable, but not 2.5mm to the frame

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #3,862 of 16,326
Now if you want to fix it before too late ? I suggest having some fiber and slot it inside as tight as you can and toward the largest opening of the gap (because the other end is attached onto the motherboard itsel). You then trim this piece off, and fill it with gorilla glue to Minimize the travel, and play of the sockets upon jack plug/unplug actions. Or be very careful, but it will definitely come out lol...or you can suguru it for easy job. Hell, the TRRS socket need a lot of push to slot in...with this design flaw, I can see it coming off in time !

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,863 of 16,326
Here is another angle of the gap. Honestly, this is a serious design flaw, not even smartphone has sockets this way. You can even see the frame inside as well...lol

That's crazy. In normal use there's going to be a large cyclical load placed on the connector, particularly with the types of large plug and quality cable that users are likely to have.

With the connector able to float around there can be only one eventual outcome 
frown.gif

I'm going to give up trying to find a decent Android based DAP.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,864 of 16,326
That's crazy. In normal use there's going to be a large cyclical load placed on the connector, particularly with the types of large plug and quality cable that users are likely to have.

With the connector able to float around there can be only one eventual outcome :frowning2:

I'm going to give up trying to find a decent Android based DAP.

Zx2 is good android DAP, don't give up...I had been using zx2 for a long while without any problems at all. This is a design flaw totally. There are 3 factors that will point into 1 final outcome.

1/ the chassis opening is larger than the 2.5 socket, which creates a huge gap, and the socket is basically staying on by soldered onto the motherboard underneath and inside.

2/ the sockets are "tight...very tight" especially tight on 2.5 TRRS, I never had to forced so much into the Zx2 when using TRRS like here on the DP-x1

3/ by pushing it in while the socket is only holding onto the motherboard itself....yeah, you bet how and what will become of it.

Seriously ?

Now, currently being tested

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,865 of 16,326
I picked this plug so that I would have the least risk
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Eidolic-Astell-and-Kern-2-5mm-4-pole-trrs-balanced-ak240-ak120-ak380-ak100-diy-connector?manufacturer_id=13

Big spacious barrel sitting flush against the chassis, so there's less movement.

My current issue is with my 3.5mm TRS BTG Starlight cable http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Starlight-CIEM-cable/p/15566476/category=12112628
Aside from its poor ergonomics, I often get my music paused unwillingly because the angled plug moves a tiny bit upwards causing the player to pause the playback thinking I unplugged my iem. I'll try swapping to a noble stock quad cable to see if it happens as easily.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,866 of 16,326
Now if you want to fix it before too late ? I suggest having some fiber and slot it inside as tight as you can and toward the largest opening of the gap (because the other end is attached onto the motherboard itsel). You then trim this piece off, and fill it with gorilla glue to Minimize the travel, and play of the sockets upon jack plug/unplug actions. Or be very careful, but it will definitely come out lol...or you can suguru it for easy job. Hell, the TRRS socket need a lot of push to slot in...with this design flaw, I can see it coming off in time !

There goes your warranty !     No MacGyver tricks for me. I have also this gap.( And Huge is a big word, it's there but not huge)...but if it breaks in the future . I will send it back to PriceJapan. No Glue on my new DP-X1!! (not by myself that is) 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #3,867 of 16,326
I picked this plug so that I would have the least risk
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Eidolic-Astell-and-Kern-2-5mm-4-pole-trrs-balanced-ak240-ak120-ak380-ak100-diy-connector?manufacturer_id=13

Big spacious barrel sitting flush against the chassis, so there's less movement.

My current issue is with my 3.5mm TRS BTG Starlight cable http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Starlight-CIEM-cable/p/15566476/category=12112628
Aside from its poor ergonomics, I often get my music paused unwillingly because the angled plug moves a tiny bit upwards causing the player to pause the playback thinking I unplugged my iem. I'll try swapping to a noble stock quad cable to see if it happens as easily.

The thing would be caused by the travel of the sockets by plug/unplug your jack, having the jack sitting flush on it is good, but having to plug/unplug it is another matter...
There goes your warranty !     No MacGyver tricks for me. I have also this gap.( And Huge is a big word, it's there but not huge)...but if it breaks in the future . I will send it back to PriceJapan. No Glue on my new DP-X1!! (not by myself that is) 

You can wait for it to happen and warranty it, or you can fix it, whatever float your boat. The picture was for references, and I have yet to decide on how I would approach this

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #3,868 of 16,326
The thing would be caused by the travel of the sockets by plug/unplug your jack, having the jack sitting flush on it is good, but having to plug/unplug it is another matter...
You can wait for it to happen and warranty it, or you can fix it, whatever float your boat. The picture was for references, and I have yet to decide on how I would approach this

I would not assume the gap on the socket collar is due to poor manufacturing tolerance. It could very well be by design to prevent grounding on the chassis. AK240SS suffered from this problem. There also appears to be a similar gap on the 3.5mm socket as well. As far as "fixing it" in advance, I would wait until the problem happens and go warranty route. If this is widespread, I'm sure Onkyo will develop a permanent solution for it. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #3,869 of 16,326
  Removed. Oh well, I thought it was pretty funny. You guys are a serious bunch here.

What the hell?? That's just depressing... I watched it and thought it was hilarious, just what was needed as things were indeed getting a bit 'tit for tat' lol.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,870 of 16,326

What the hell?? That's just depressing... I watched it and thought it was hilarious, just what was needed as things were indeed getting a bit 'tit for tat' lol.

Thanks mate, kind of my thoughts too. I just now received my balanced cable. I'm not able to listen critically now as I'm getting ready for class tonight. Really nice cable, thanks PETEREK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back