ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,797 of 16,326
  Count me in, does that make 3? QPR1 looks to me now is on better term for someone who doesn't use streaming at all...sold ZX2 because it was too weak for my HD800, if someone who use mainly CIEM, it's the best DAP available. Period..

Not sure, I'll have to look back, but I believe you were one of the two, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Does third party apps include Tidal? My Tidal sounds fantastic on the DP-X1. If I try to reconnect all the dots the inference here is that Onkyo locks out third party apps from the DAC and these apps must use the DSP processing of the SoC on the CPU. Is this correct?

So building on this how do we know that other DAPs are any different in so much as they allow full access to their hardware DAC? Are there any technical releases from these other companies that indicate if and how they are implementing access for other music player apps to the hardware DACs on their devices? I'm unclear if these assertions are fact or simply conjecture. Now with my limited understanding which I freely admit it seems that there are standard OS hooks in Android that in theory Onkyo hasn't made available to these apps, and to summarize again these apps must now use other Android hooks to gain access to the CPU for their conversions.

I think this contentions are very important to clarify and provide actual evidence of. If I have made some mistakes above my apology and I look forward to some technical clarifications.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,800 of 16,326
Yes, high gain is 40mW for qp1r, low gain is 9mW.

but that has a current driven amp stage, isn't it.

if conventionally, we say something is powerful enough to drive something is referring to having large enough instant current at that voltage, then in qp1r case, it has large enough current for anything. so if you can get enough loudness with the qp1r, it means it is well driven, "well" in a relative term.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,801 of 16,326
but that has a current driven amp stage, isn't it.

Not sure how that works, but if you think about current amping then Zx2 is not lacking behind either....7 huge capacitors and a super-capacitor lol....but still it won't be able to drive anything monster Hungry, however I have no craving for hd800...I prefer th900

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,802 of 16,326
Tried playing the youtube track from earfonia, I could hear something with the DP-X1(is that the distortion?), then tried on the iphone and nothing.

What app did you use on the DP-X1? You're not supposed to use the stock player as supposedly the issue is only with third party apps.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,803 of 16,326

BTW, anyone know how to remove the Google bar and extra home screen? 

I don't have my DP-X1 yet so unable to confirm this but being Android I would imagine you could use another Launcher such as Apex or Nova Launcher both allow you to remove the Google Search bar and also choose the number of home screen your device displays.
Just received my Tracking Reference so if you can wait a week for me to try
dt880smile.png

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,807 of 16,326
^^My bad, should read a little better. So if this effect is very subtle, which I'm not sure if it is, perhaps the iPhone doesn't reveal it and it is the source track? I know people say the iPhone 6 sounds good, but it actually doesn't measure that well. Not sure if that could explain anything or not. I would have more confidence if it was the flac file played in a dedicated music app version the stock music app on the DP-X1. I intend to do this tonight once I get a chance.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,809 of 16,326
^^My bad, should read a little better. So if this effect is very subtle, which I'm not sure if it is, perhaps the iPhone doesn't reveal it and it is the source track? I know people say the iPhone 6 sounds good, but it actually doesn't measure that well. Not sure if that could explain anything or not. I would have more confidence if it was the flac file played in a dedicated music app version the stock music app on the DP-X1. I intend to do this tonight once I get a chance.

I think you just have to take Apple devices a little more serious on streaming...they may not measures as well, but their sound quality isn't all that bad...it is all about algorithms, coding, before amping. Apple has always been the very pioneer of OS+Hardware design. Their hardwares are never that powerful to compare with android devices...but yet, androids always lag behind. This is the downfall of android OS...but let not start something :D

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #3,810 of 16,326
we still have very few people reporting any issues with third party apps and sound quality. To the best of my knowledge beyond the original two individuals, nobody else has reported any such issue. I have no other music apps on my DP-X1 and I'm not going to buy one simply to test, but ideally some of you out there with the DP-X1 can run the test as linked earlier through your various third party apps. It doesn't make sense to me that so few are having this issue. I know in the X7 thread there was a significant issue with EMI and WiFi, but in that case quite a few people seemed to have the issue.

To my knowledge, @earfonia, @gearofwar, @crazypaladin and @PoRidge have reported various issues on apps such as Spotify and Tidal.
Including me, that's at least 5 people right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back