ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,841 of 16,326
Hi all, newbie in here. I've just bought this player. Everything is good, except having issue on playing DSF through Hugo. It occasionally stops for around 1s and then resumes playback. Replaying the same track without external DAC does not have the issue, which should rule out potential issue on the sd card. Anyone has similar experience? I'm using the stock playback software, DOP output. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,843 of 16,326

Yes, I only get the loud distortion/hissing with third party apps, none on the stock player (for the same track).
I can detect it slightly on my headphones as well, but at a level too minute that I cannot confidently rule out expectation bias - thus the suggestion to use IEMs to more clearly accentuate the issue.
I think its no mere coincidence that the only 2 people that reported to have tested it out and reported no issues at all were using headphones.
Do note that even @TheOneInYellow (who did not hear any distortion on his AKG K712) heard the distortion quite clearly on his Heir 4Ai.

I do think this is a slight mis-representation of what TheOneInYellow actually said

Conclusion:
Other than annoyed that I'm writing on here when I could be going through ALL MY MUSIC with my Heir Audio 4.Ai + Onkyo DP-X1 in pure bliss (jk jk ^^), I have concluded that on my DP-X1 I do not hear any distortion between Tidal and OMA at Low Gain.
Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment.

I genuinely hope this helps.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,844 of 16,326
i found 2 reports of not working headphone jacks on the Pioneer XDP-100R while discussing the official release of dp-x1 outside japan. i am inclined to believe that it is manufacturing or design issue. they may be isolated cases, but these two devices are pretty new. for the fiio interference, yes, it is their first wifi product. but headphone jacks in music players? that's a little bit over the line. this kind of quality issue should not have happened this frequently, considering they did not have a large production volume.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #3,846 of 16,326
  I do think this is a slight mis-representation of what TheOneInYellow actually said

I have not included the whole post but the link is there if @Zenifyx would like to read it for themselves

I have indeed read the entire post, and had even addressed his points in #3737.

Some points to note here:
- He stated that he did hear distortion in medium/high gain. This much is fact, and is what I referenced in my post earlier.
- The distortion at low gain is at a level too minute to confidently rule out expectation bias, hence I have encouraged others to use high gain when testing for this issue.
- He attributed this distortion to 'bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's'.
He represented this as a fact, but the truth is this is entirely an assumption on his part and NOT A FACT. He has no evidence to support this 'fact'.
Do note that the Heir 4Ai does fall within Onkyo's stated usage parameters (16-300Ohm impedance), and he is listening at normal listening volumes (and not at ridiculous levels of power output)

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,847 of 16,326

- He stated that he did hear distortion in medium/high gain. This much is fact, and is what I referenced in my post earlier.
- The distortion at low gain is at a level too minute to confidently rule out expectation bias, hence I have encouraged others to use high gain when testing for this issue.
- He attributed this distortion to 'bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's'.
He represented this as a fact, but the truth is this is entirely an assumption on his part and NOT A FACT. He has no evidence to support this 'fact'.
Do note that the Heir 4Ai does fall within Onkyo's stated usage parameters (16-300Ohm impedance), and he is listening at normal listening volumes (and not at ridiculous levels of power output)

Sorry to be a pedant but just because one makes an assumption, doesn't make it not a fact. It makes it unproven. ie it could be wrong or right. :grin:

Will check when I get my dpx1 at eom

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #3,848 of 16,326
Sorry to be a pedant but just because one makes an assumption, doesn't make it not a fact. It makes it unproven. ie it could be wrong or right. :grin:

Will check when I get my dpx1 at eom

So, a little English lesson here:
A fact is something that is known to be true. (And thus cannot be false) This is the definition of the word itself.
There is no such thing as an unproven fact, or a fact that could be wrong or right - that would be entirely contradictory.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #3,849 of 16,326

I agree.

I was just stating that by quoting OneTheInYellow in the line 
'Do note that even @TheOneInYellow (who did not hear any distortion on his AKG K712) heard the distortion quite clearly on his Heir 4Ai.'

Without including the rest

'Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment.'

Can be misleading if you do not include the rest of his conclusion

Please note I do not own a DP-X1 yet so can not comment on this problem personally.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,850 of 16,326
Removed. Oh well, I thought it was pretty funny. You guys are a serious bunch here.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #3,851 of 16,326
  I agree.

'Do note that even @TheOneInYellow (who did not hear any distortion on his AKG K712) heard the distortion quite clearly on his Heir 4Ai.'

'Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment.'

Please note I do not own a DP-X1 yet so can not comment on this problem personally.

I did not quote his conclusion/assumptions as I found them to be misleading and without basis (hence I only quoted his observations)

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #3,852 of 16,326
And I finally got my DP-X1 :)

First thing I noticed when plugin my balanced cable is how "tight" the fit is, much tighter that what I am used to on other devices I can certainly understand how un-necessary force is probably applied when you plug off. I haven't tried the 3.5 jack yet, the XDP-100 had no such issue on the jack.

I can confirm no doubt that the japanese DP-X1 is louder than the EU unit will be, I run the volume at 90-100 with the S-EM9 on normal gain and I was using 125 with the EU XDP-100. Also I had read it but it's confirmed, the DP-X1 is smoother sounding than the XDP-100 no doubt about it. I need to spend some quality time with it now :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,854 of 16,326
Ok, I just got the unit today. Upon close inspection, there is a gap in between the socket and the chassis. Huge one, it needs attention otherwise it would break, definitely...only matter of when.

I don't see a big gap but it's not well adjusted, I didn't notice anything similar on the Pioneer...

While I am here, advice to all on battery, disable any app you don't use, it will save power :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3,855 of 16,326
I agree.

'Do note that even @TheOneInYellow
 (who did not hear any distortion on his AKG K712) heard the distortion quite clearly on his Heir 4Ai.'

Once again, please note, using high gain will not damage the most sensitive IEMs. All that matters is the ultimate volume that you select.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back