ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,871 of 16,326
Lol, having gap from the socket to the chassis and you call it by design ? Nah, the plastic barrel on the socket would be enough to isolate it from the chassis....and you mis-read what I posted

The 3.5mm has a gap, but it is acceptable, unlike this 2.5mm gap...both has the same ports sizes on the frame, why would 2.5mm socket got thrown into an opening of 3.5mm ? It seems both of the ports on the frame was designed for 3.5mm sockets...hence the 2.5mm sockets get a larger gap. I could only slot that fabric on into 2.5mm not the 3.5mm one

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,872 of 16,326
Lol, having gap from the socket to the chassis and you call it by design ? Nah, the plastic barrel on the socket would be enough to isolate it from the chassis....and you mis-read what I posted

The 3.5mm has a gap, but it is acceptable, unlike this 2.5mm gap...both has the same ports sizes on the frame, why would 2.5mm socket got thrown into an opening of 3.5mm ? It seems both of the ports on the frame was designed for 3.5mm sockets...hence the 2.5mm sockets get a larger gap. I could only slot that fabric on into 2.5mm not the 3.5mm one

Where did you get the mesh and what gauge is it? I'm likely going to try this fix myself now that I just received my balanced cable. Those do fit tight don't they? I can see how if the design is actually problematic that such a tight fit might be an issue eventually. I'm not saying it is, but I don't really want to find out personally if I can avoid it. Have you done this on your Onkyo already? If so any issues or is it fine.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,873 of 16,326
I am trying to listen to Earfonia russet drum track with TRRS into th900....no distortions...call my cables and th900 not sensitive enough is fine...I hear no distortions beside the reverbs of the drum housing itself.

Then I went on and tried Poweramp Alpha....no distortion, not on the track that I have with the deepest bass in my collection...what distortions again ?

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3,874 of 16,326
^ I didn't hear any either.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #3,875 of 16,326
No distorsion either, on the S-EM9 or the NightHawks.

The black background had been mentioned but oh my this is as black as it gets :)
Another thing that strikes me upon first impressions is how good imaging is (especially balanced).

Ah and streaming Tidal is just as good as the native player (for me).

Curiosity, the Onkyo has "auto volume" option that the Pioneer does not have, I was wondering if it meant normalization but as it turns out the manual clarifies :

When Auto Volume is ON, the volume for headphone output, balanced headphone output, USB audio output, and Bluetooth audio output is automatically set to the same level.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #3,876 of 16,326
Where did you get the mesh and what gauge is it? I'm likely going to try this fix myself now that I just received my balanced cable. Those do fit tight don't they? I can see how if the design is actually problematic that such a tight fit might be an issue eventually. I'm not saying it is, but I don't really want to find out personally if I can avoid it. Have you done this on your Onkyo already? If so any issues or is it fine.

I have not fixed my Onkyo yet. There is a huge consideration by me...This socket is too tight, the jack will need a considerable force to push it in and snap-in. Now, the problems begin

1/ what is holding the socket so you can push force ontop of it ? Nothing, but the bare main board and solder joins itself...normally the frame and chassis would take this up
2/ while being on the move with stiff cables, there will be plays, travels of the jacks due to the cables movements...what is securing the socket ?.....nothing, this gap is way too big to do it job.

Let's say if we can glue this up, the problem we will bump into is that the frame and the socket itself would still taking a large amount of considerable force from the 2 factors above...eventually the glue would break off as well. When I inspected inside, there seems to be hollow space below the frame surface...so by gluing, we can only glue it by the bare 0.25 mm thick of the chassis itself...

Seems that we need to contact Onkyo about this and see what they have to say first...for the time being, be very extra-extremely-carefully-awfully-awesomely careful when you plug and unplug the thing...

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3,877 of 16,326
Let's say if we can glue this up, the problem we will bump into is that the frame and the socket itself would still taking a large amount of considerable force from the 2 factors above...eventually the glue would break off as well. When I inspected inside, there seems to be hollow space below the frame surface...so by gluing, we can only glue it by the bare 0.25 mm thick of the chassis itself...

That was my thinking when I suggested glue wouldn't be effective. I would also be concerned that taking extreme care might just delay the inevitable, possibly until after the warranty period had expired.

I'm assuming that opening the unit is a non-starter? A molded Sugru support behind the chassis would be the better solution.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,878 of 16,326
We sure need to report to Onkyo, but it looks like a major design flaw, if they can fix this wouldn't it require some significant changes to the chassis itself?

I am puzzled by the lack of quality testing, the headphone socket is a major item for a DAP if unplugging casually or using on the go can break it it should have shown up testing units.

They must be producing full steam now, 3 month away from EU and US launch, I hope they can fix before launching... and provide a solution for those who purchased early.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,879 of 16,326
We sure need to report to Onkyo, but it looks like a major design flaw, if they can fix this wouldn't it require some significant changes to the chassis itself?

I am puzzled by the lack of quality testing, the headphone socket is a major item for a DAP if unplugging casually or using on the go can break it it should have shown up testing units.

They must be producing full steam now, 3 month away from EU and US launch, I hope they can fix before launching... and provide a solution for those who purchased early.

Yeah, this is a major design flaw, and no longer just minor where a little good gluing can fix it. It seem a good suguru inside would do a better job....but seeing as this is a :major design flaw"...I am not real sure what Onkyo solution will be ? How did it get pass quality control in the first place ?

I can totally confirm that by being careful, the inevitable socket failure would happens! I don't even think with it being this way, and that it could withstand up to a year of usages at all. Now...how do we open it up, is there a manual

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,880 of 16,326
Wow...actually this is the problem with Poweramp alpha itself...somehow it messed up the whole thing software wise on the dp-x1...it will stutter clipping, and can't control the DAC correctly. It is like it was possessed by some evil spirits and did some weird thing on me...sounds would also come from 1 channel and clipping and ....crazy thing lol

Now, even Onkyo stock app is playing this trick on me...it would suddenly get all recessed mid and bump up bass without trebles....then I tried to switch balanced-akg trigger and she came back to live....

I never seen such buggy UI and messy control like it is here. Let me do some stock reset....

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,881 of 16,326
Well, without seeing inside I'm not sure how we can pronounce a design flaw just yet. Not saying this isn't possible, but it does seem a little pre-mature. I had a close call. I was standing with the DAP in my pocket connected to balanced and the DAP fell out hard enough to yank the cable right out of the balanced socket on the DAP. That was a pretty significant force and thankfully nothing happened to the jack, all still working, nothing damaged. Very lucky. I'm still not convinced that a well done job with very strong glue optimized for such applications wouldn't provide some stability to the jack.

Has anybody with good pictures contacted Onkyo yet? I wouldn't count on pricejapan. When I e-mailed Kaneda he/she was honest and said due to their poor English they had no idea what I was asking.

Now, damn does this thing sound good, I mean really, really good. Lots of detail, but with the slow filter on it doesn't seem at all harsh from this often purported Sabre glare. The layering and instrument separation is second to none. The sound is very fluid and full. My bottleneck in some respects is the PM3 in the sense that it isn't particularly spacious sounding so it is for sure constraining the perception of stage and layers, and even so I feel the DP-X1 is awesome.

For now as often as I can, I intend to leave the headphones plugged in to minimize the stress on the jack. Mine certainly isn't loose feeling in the case, but I realize that isn't definitive at all. Hopefully we get some actual input from Onkyo on this. I would doubt there is much they can do and I wouldn't be very surprised if the only available fix that is viable is very good adhesive added as support. Let's just see how this shakes out, but I'm still very happy and will not rush to judgement just yet.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,882 of 16,326
  Well, without seeing inside I'm not sure how we can pronounce a design flaw just yet. Not saying this isn't possible, but it does seem a little pre-mature. I had a close call. I was standing with the DAP in my pocket connected to balanced and the DAP fell out hard enough to yank the cable right out of the balanced socket on the DAP. That was a pretty significant force and thankfully nothing happened to the jack, all still working, nothing damaged. Very lucky. I'm still not convinced that a well done job with very strong glue optimized for such applications wouldn't provide some stability to the jack.

Has anybody with good pictures contacted Onkyo yet? I wouldn't count on pricejapan. When I e-mailed Kaneda he/she was honest and said due to their poor English they had no idea what I was asking.

Now, damn does this thing sound good, I mean really, really good. Lots of detail, but with the slow filter on it doesn't seem at all harsh from this often purported Sabre glare. The layering and instrument separation is second to none. The sound is very fluid and full. My bottleneck in some respects is the PM3 in the sense that it isn't particularly spacious sounding so it is for sure constraining the perception of stage and layers, and even so I feel the DP-X1 is awesome.

For now as often as I can, I intend to leave the headphones plugged in to minimize the stress on the jack. Mine certainly isn't loose feeling in the case, but I realize that isn't definitive at all. Hopefully we get some actual input from Onkyo on this. I would doubt there is much they can do and I wouldn't be very surprised if the only available fix that is viable is very good adhesive added as support. Let's just see how this shakes out, but I'm still very happy and will not rush to judgement just yet.

I tried to get some debate on these filter settings and ACG a few pages back but it was dwarfed with the jack issue. I feel the slow filter gives it an analogue feel

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,883 of 16,326
  I tried to get some debate on these filter settings and ACG a few pages back but it was dwarfed with the jack issue. I feel the slow filter gives it an analogue feel

I had read your comment brother and meant to agree with you as I felt the same way. I tried the sharp and didn't like it as much. I may have been imagining things, but it did seem brighter with that filter. Anyway, yep I noticed your comment and can't agree more. How are you liking the sound? Have you been able to detect any of the reported sound issues with third party apps? I sure haven't found any issues.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #3,884 of 16,326
  Well, without seeing inside I'm not sure how we can pronounce a design flaw just yet. 

It's precisely the fact that we are seeing inside ... through the headphone jack ... that's the flaw 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3,885 of 16,326
  I had read your comment brother and meant to agree with you as I felt the same way. I tried the sharp and didn't like it as much. I may have been imagining things, but it did seem brighter with that filter. Anyway, yep I noticed your comment and can't agree more. How are you liking the sound? Have you been able to detect any of the reported sound issues with third party apps? I sure haven't found any issues.

I love the sound, and ive only just began listening balanced so that's adding to the fascination. I guess it depends on style of music which filter setting suits, the slow filter seems to push guitars forward, and the fast setting seems to bring the drums forward indeed making it seem like a faster tempo. Nice to have at a click and not a gimmick, they serve a purpose. Still need to spend some time listening to the ACG as I'm not sure whats its doing yet and if I like it!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back