ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #3,812 of 16,326
To my knowledge, @earfonia, @gearofwar, @crazypaladin and @PoRidge have reported various issues on apps such as Spotify and Tidal.
Including me, that's at least 5 people right there.

Okay, I'm going to try Tidal on the DP-X1, and on my Blackberry Leap. I'll try to hear this obvious distortion so I'll keep the volume lower than my normal listening level. I'm also going to download that FLAC test file and try it on the DP-X1.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3,813 of 16,326
Well, I must have a tin ear, I can't hear any difference at all between Tidal on the Onkyo or my Blackberry Leap which is a fantastic sounding phone (it also measures better than even the iPhone 5, quite a bit better). I used a Steely Dan track, Negative Girl that I know extremely well. I can't even tell if the lossless album rip played through the Onkyo player sounds different from Tidal.

So either:

1) You all have astounding hearing which I lack, that is of course possible
2) You guys have something going on in your environment causing some kind of interference through your WiFi, not out of the realm of possibility * although I think some of you have tested and don't feel this is the case
3) There is something wrong with your DAP, seems unlikely but again possible
4) Your listening really hard to find a fault and getting confirmation due to expectation, that is possible, but not as likey as some of the other possible explanations

Now I'm going to try the FLAC file when I get a few moments. Anyway, if there was some difference during music playback that I missed, it must be very, very, very small. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,814 of 16,326
Okay, that FLAC file is missing, but I did download it on my other computer so I'm going to go get it and report back.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #3,815 of 16,326
Well, I must have a tin ear, I can't hear any difference at all between Tidal on the Onkyo or my Blackberry Leap which is a fantastic sounding phone (it also measures better than even the iPhone 5, quite a bit better). I used a Steely Dan track, Negative Girl that I know extremely well. I can't even tell if the lossless album rip played through the Onkyo player sounds different from Tidal.

So either:

1) You all have astounding hearing which I lack, that is of course possible
2) You guys have something going on in your environment causing some kind of interference through your WiFi, not out of the realm of possibility * although I think some of you have tested and don't feel this is the case
3) There is something wrong with your DAP, seems unlikely but again possible
4) Your listening really hard to find a fault and getting confirmation due to expectation, that is possible, but not as likey as some of the other possible explanations

Now I'm going to try the FLAC file when I get a few moments. Anyway, if there was some difference during music playback that I missed, it must be very, very, very small. 

It might not be apparent on your gear/usage.
Try this out:
- Use a sensitive set of phones, like IEMs
- Use high gain (I use high gain with volume set to 80)
- Quiet passages of music. I found the hiss quite unbearable on the first 4 secs of "Way back into love".

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,816 of 16,326
I'm using a PM3 which is fairly sensitive and I do have it on high gain. I tried listening at moderate and my normal louder listening volume. I heard nothing different. So just how much more sensitive are the IEMs you use as compared to the PM3?

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #3,817 of 16,326
To anyone out there that is worried hah using high gain on sensitive IEMs will 'overdrive' your IEMs and possibly damage them, let me reassure you that there is no such thing. The power than goes to your IEMs is the same regardless of gain level as long as the volume is the same. If you hear hiss on high gain, your IEMs are NOT being damaged or overdriven, high gain just steps up the signal beforehand, and the basal level of amp noise will also be amplified accordingly.

Just wanted to let you guys know for those who are afraid of damaging the earphones in high gain :)

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,818 of 16,326
It might not be apparent on your gear/usage.
Try this out:
- Use a sensitive set of phones, like IEMs
- Use high gain (I use high gain with volume set to 80)
- Quiet passages of music. I found the hiss quite unbearable on the first 4 secs of "Way back into love".

So you only get the loud hissing with sensitive IEMs and a third party app? Forgiver me asking if that had already been made clear earlier.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #3,819 of 16,326
It will happen, both 256GB and 512GB.

Funny thing is a year and a half ago year the 128GB was released at massive prices but look at how much it dropped within a year!
Same with 200GB last year.

So I envisage high initial prices but near Christmas prices will drop.

On that note, I got my cards...wait...ONE CARD? Where's the other What...grr :mad:
Time to report to Amazon (sigh, extra work)...

A 512gb microsd was released in July you can check this one as example, but i remember the ona was presented cost $500 and was another brand:
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32596000341.html

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3,820 of 16,326
A 512gb microsd was released in July you can check this one as example, but i remember the ona was presented cost $500 and was another brand:
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32596000341.html

100% chance that is fake. Transcend has no product listed for 512 GB micro SD and no press releases for it either. Also you will see that the $285 USD price is for 1 LOT which is 40 pcs. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #3,821 of 16,326
Screw it, I'm going to install Neutron and test myself.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #3,822 of 16,326
I wonder if there is any tempered glass screen protector available for this player yet ?

The official one is 9H too :)

omg i need Dignis now......any news?

Keep an eye out on this: http://blog.naver.com/dignis
Jeongjae Lee (Dignis Designer) said the prototype would be ready this week

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #3,823 of 16,326
Neutron sounds awesome installed on the DP-X1. I have no idea what is happening for you people, but please everybody, don't just assume that because some people experience an issue that it is widespread. I have the same DAP and I have not been able to replicate this problem. Could others please try, download a third party app you know and like and see if you are hearing loud hissing and or distortion, which I believe is what has been reported. Anyway, I'm going to try Neutron again because it sounded so damn good!

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #3,824 of 16,326
It look like that is just cosmetic for sure. Instead of waiting for it to happen and warranty it, you can fix it with some good glues over the top.
biggrin.gif

The collar is certainly not just cosmetic, it's a key component in the strength and security of the balanced jack. Even if the jack could still be used with a missing collar (which seems unlikely from photos and user reports), the PCB mounted part of the connector would quickly fail causing even more damage.

Glue over the top is not going to work either, it would need to be applied inside the player. I doubt many owners of a new device would want to attempt that.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #3,825 of 16,326
  Neutron sounds awesome installed on the DP-X1. I have no idea what is happening for you people, but please everybody, don't just assume that because some people experience an issue that it is widespread. I have the same DAP and I have not been able to replicate this problem. Could others please try, download a third party app you know and like and see if you are hearing loud hissing and or distortion, which I believe is what has been reported. Anyway, I'm going to try Neutron again because it sounded so damn good!

Thanks for trying with Neutron - it's good to know you found no problems.

I think the hiss and distortion are separate issues. Any hiss is likely to be associated with sensitive IEMs. The distortion was recorded by @earfonia and made available here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2Mi2rrmALKFdzAxVGpscHhWc1U&usp=sharing

The distortion on the third-party playback is very obvious, not a subtle effect that needs careful listening and comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back