ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #3,571 of 16,328
I just need "FOLDER BROWSING" thing and i'm a happy man. How hard for them to make this? 

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,572 of 16,328
  I am a Java developer and develop on Android. I know what the hell I'm talking about.  Please kindly stop spreading your misinformation.

How is that misinformation?
I find it quite unsettling that you have even bothered to remove entire sentences from my original post that you quoted: - "As I have stated above, I tested it out on Youtube (which has no DSP stage) and there was indeed distortion - you may test it out yourself. The same occurs on Play Music."

Now, if you would provide me with an example of a non-DSP based third party player where distortion SHOULD NOT occur, I would be more than happy to test it out.
I believe @TheOneInYellow has, in an earlier post, even used Youtube as an example of a non-DSP based app where distortions would not occur.
I have provided evidence to the contrary, and yet you choose to ignore it.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #3,573 of 16,328
Onkyo DP X1 will not be successful if it hits US market at its current stage of Firmware and UI......

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3,574 of 16,328
Please stop stating your hypotheses as a fact - it is misleading and leads others to make the same incorrect assumptions.
As I have stated above, I tested it out on Youtube (which has no DSP stage) and there was indeed distortion - you may test it out yourself.
The same occurs on Play Music.
Might I add - Youtube and Play Music are both Google Apps - they are essentially published by the same company that published the standard Android API.

@TheOneInYellow

You have continually insisted that the problem lies with DSP based players - all without a concrete example of a third party app without DSP where the distortion is not present
Kindly check out my EDIT above in which I tried out Youtube - an app with no DSP.
Try it out for yourself, I believe your conclusion will be severely different.
With regards to non-standard APIs, I think Google apps are the most standardized example of an app utilizing the standard APIs as you can get - TESTED - distortions on Youtube/Play Music.

I am kindly not going to stand down on software principles that are a core part and standard understanding of computer hardware/software interfaces, especially with digital audio converters. These are taught at many institutions.
The only reason that I am not going into hardcore technical terms as it would be far beyond the scope of this thread and forum.
I have been taught this, but I shall add a caveat that I no longer work in software engineering. I just retained the core principles of computing.

I have only hypothesised in one area, how DSP apps interfacing with DP-X1 could lead to multiple audio chains.

When we discussed this topic I asked which apps you were referring to, and you yourself did not mention YouTube but specifically DSP apps only.
This is the first mention of YouTube.

That I shall agree is then an issue, but others on this forum and myself do not, and have been unable, to replicate issues with 'Google Apps'. So far I have identified only a single user having these issues, and I do hope this can be resolved.
However to imply that Onkyo needs to fix a fault you found for all users when this fault is for a fraction of user's who have not reported a problem is itself unhelpful advice.

I tried to replicate your issue after your post, and I have no issues:
- Restarted Onkyo DP-X1 and booted up,
- Charging,
- Unbalanced AKG K 712 headphones,
- High Gain,
- YouTube,
- Volume set to 147,
Conclusion? Crystal clear audio, no dropouts, no distortion.

Did it again, following the above (restarting app etc) except changed headphones to KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones.
Conclusion? Same result.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #3,576 of 16,328
In a past life I tried to study software engineer but due to some...horrific...incidences at university I dropped out.

The only reason that I am not going into hardcore technical terms as it would be far beyond the scope of this thread and forum. I have been taught this, but I shall add a caveat that I no longer work in software engineering ...

Stick to posting the pictures 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #3,577 of 16,328
Yes, while important, these discussions are way to involved and perhaps PM discussions between the parties are better. You could come back once somebody has conclusively proven their case and then a joint statement of acceptance could be used in the thread to clarify and detail what was discovered. Glad people are passionate about things, but lets not get too carried away.

@cattlethief why is the Pioneer better? I'm quite sure it has compromises that people would post about.

Folder browsing seems to not be as widely supported so perhaps it is much harder to implement than it seems.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #3,578 of 16,328
Well, these are essentially (let's not get it twisted, I'm speaking in general terms) smartphone apps in a non-smartphone device, and Onkyo has never bothered to do this in their original HF Player app, and all I'm saying is that it shouldn't be surprising.

Anyway, if Onkyo ever bothers to include sorting by Album Artist, then I'll be a super happy camper. lol

I really then want Onkyo to implement such features, as they can be turned on or off or, not be used, for users who don't require them, or be used for those who do.

I want you to be a happy camper too ^^

Thanks for your support too in helping others dude.

Zenifyx and others have reported, and provided real evidence of, serious deficiencies in this player's performance with streaming services.

Despite lots of detailed academic debate of the technology involved, I have no better understanding of whether this player is fit for purpose or not.

I am grateful to everyone for their input and will continue to follow the discussion in the hope that an answer my simple brain can understand will emerge :L3000:

I should say that, despite the heavy topics, you are enjoying the thread as is.

I prefer to be a crazy manic audiophile that likes (LOVES WITH ALL HIS HEART) cats and Lego and hugs everyone (fair warning, I hug everyone. You have been warned), games, books, comics, and at 29 I believe I am 7 :p

If I do go into technical jargon (trust me, what has been written is a massively condensed, generalised, version of the topics discussed. I know, crazy, right?) I hope they are somewhat interesting to read.

Otherwise enjoy my posts on my continued experience of the lovely DP-X1, and cats!

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #3,579 of 16,328
I think more people have been stating they have no problem with streaming than those who are having a problem. Why not start a running poll? I use Tidal and it is performing no differently than it does on my main computer rig so I say I have no issue with streaming so far. Next.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #3,580 of 16,328
My issue with Onkyo that is very serious is that the brightness cannot be changed on the DP-X1, as it has no effect.
This is awful for battery life.

Yeah, this is bad. My brightness control works on my DP-X1. At its lowest brightness, I can barely see anything due to glare, unless I'm in complete darkness.

Sorry, I have no solutions if you tried absolutely everything, including factory reset.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #3,581 of 16,328
I think more people have been stating they have no problem with streaming than those who are having a problem. Why not start a running poll? I use Tidal and it is performing no differently than it does on my main computer rig so I say I have no issue with streaming so far. Next.

With the sole exceptions of the non-functioning brightness level and silly restrictive embedded album art issues, I have yet to suffer any streaming issues, crashes, damaged ports, etc etc.

Tell a lie, I have a massive issue with the DP-X1.

I can't stop listening to it.
I'm screwed...

Listening to beautiful piano work set in a softly majestic electronic etheral soundscape at the moment with my AKG K 712 headphones: Ben Lukas Boysen aka (HECQ)'s 'Gravity'.
Truly mesmerising!

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,582 of 16,328
We'll...I think why Zx2 works so well with 3rd party app is because it doesn't have any DAC lol...it is class D amp....the only thing it has is the DSEE HX chip and it is in total control of Sony. Some people with more knowledge can chime on, but so far I am very happy with Zx2 being jet audio , Gonemad

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3,583 of 16,328
Yeah, this is bad. My brightness control works on my DP-X1. At its lowest brightness, I can barely see anything due to glare, unless I'm in complete darkness.

Sorry, I have no solutions if you tried absolutely everything, including factory reset.

Yes, I tried. If this issue is with me and no one else reports the same issue by Monday, I'll contact Onkyo.
However, I have lots of portable and large battery chargers so if a new upcoming firmware update doesn't fix the issue (if indeed it requires such an update), only then will I consider sending it back to PriceJapan at my expense.
Otherwise, when I'm out and about, Stand Alone Mode FTW!
At home I'll keep it on charge whenever necessary or possible.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3,584 of 16,328
We'll...I think why Zx2 works so well with 3rd party app is because it doesn't have any DAC lol...it is class D amp....the only thing it has is the DSEE HX chip and it is in total control of Sony. Some people with more knowledge can chime on, but so far I am very happy with Zx2 being jet audio , Gonemad

That, or Sony had a slightly easier custom API that developers can code in (or, unlikely, vice versa).

Then again, as the ZX2 cannot use hardware digital audio conversion, the ZX2 is PERFECT for third party DSP apps that use software conversions!

Lot's of happy developers might love (or are loving) it!

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,585 of 16,328
As an aside, what DAPs have STOCK players that support folder browsing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back