1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by t.r.a.n.c.e., Sep 11, 2015.
First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last
  1. nanaholic

Of course the ZX2 has a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), if there is no DAC then you can't play any digital music files.

2. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Had to try driving the 400i single ended from the Onkyo. For my tastes it can't get loud enough or drive them with full authority which is what you would expect. Still, it did sound very nice, just lacking impact in the bass. Everything else seemed pretty decent. Of course my brain is quite acclimated to PM3 bass so I need to consider that. Has anybody else tried the 400i with this?

3. ReizeiMako
    Of course, the Onkyo is a big step up from my DX90 which served me well for a year. I would like to have folder browsing but I can live without it. When my DP-X1 arrived I spend 3-4 hours to tag all of my tracks in SD card so I can browse them easily. From now on what I need to do is tag an album properly before sync it to DP-X1 library.

4. TheOneInYellow

Quite simply, yes!

But you must use the Onkyo DP-X1 Music App and change the settings to allow DSD to be output via OTG (and not DOP).

^^

5. TheOneInYellow

Nice! Which colour B&O H6 do you have?

And thanks for the nice feedback too ^^

I'll be commuting to work today so will be using my KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones with my Onkyo DP-X1 set at Normal Gain.
    I wish that the soundstage was bigger, and a new, still portable, over-the-ears version was made whilst retaining the collapsible earcups.

6. TheOneInYellow

I think you mean every default music app or system on every DAP bar the Onkyo DP-X1 (and Pioneer XDP-100R).
    Though I don't use it, for the sake of those who do I too wish file browsing was implemented...

7. TheOneInYellow

Try these test high resolution files from 2L dude.
    You can even test MQA too (once Onkyo release a firmware update and allow MQA to work).

8. TheOneInYellow

I think he means the first of two stages of DAC use is done by DSP.

- DAC's should take a digital audio signal, convert into a waveform.
    - Then take waveform and convert to analogue signal; send to amplifier for amplification.

DSP based devices or apps use software and CPU to do the first part.
    If this is what the Sony ZX2 does (highly likely based on Sony's information) then this is what he is referring to.

But yes, a DAC must exist in every audio capable device.

9. TheOneInYellow
    Off to get ready for work, and prepare my DP-X1 for commuting wooooooo

10. TheOneInYellow
    Some lovely Bonobo 'The North Borders' in 24/44.1 with my KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones (Normal Gain) for the morning commute!

20160116_080455.jpg

11. h8dk97
    I don't actually own B&O's, was just trying them at hifi shop. I may end up buying these though, so far I like them better than anything else I've tried. On my list are: PM3, P7 and some Byers which are in different price range but I don't mind paying more if I find the sound is to my liking.

12. necroevil
    Would love to get one , sigh lost my DX90 . Hope my local shop carries.

13. TheOneInYellow

Out of that selection, immediately go for the Oppo PM3 headphones.
    They have been wildly praised, and can be transformed into balanced cans with a simple cable swap (might I suggest Double Helix Cables? Contact Scootermafia for further information) ^^

Otherwise, the B&O H6 are nice cans too.
    I'm not a fan of B&W P7 but love the P5.
    Beyerdynamic are an odd ball for me, as some cans are overtly dark for me; I prefer airy cans with nice bass!

Or, if you forgo balanced portable setup, the KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones are stellar!

14. TheOneInYellow

I know my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus has this feature.

Unfortunately, it looks like my Onkyo DP-X1 does not:

20160116_073626.jpg

(Pic taken before I left home for work).

15. davidmolliere

Sometimes the auto brightness feature toggle is just left of the brightness slider when you adjust it

First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last