1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by t.r.a.n.c.e., Sep 11, 2015.
First

Back
230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239
241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250
Next

Last
  1. Zenifyx

Firstly, the "stating hypotheses as fact" statement was not directed at you.
    Secondly, it is not just I who have had this certain issue - earfonia had found issues with Google Music as well - http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/2115#post_12163962.
    Thirdly, it only occurred to me that I should try out a non-DSP app after you mentioned that DSP could be a potential factor. Thus the Youtube upload.

Following your comments, I tried it out again, same distortion, rebooted, same.
    For the sake of a healthy discussion (no offense here), I hope you can retest this with the following setup:
    - Use IEMs, high gain, volume set around 80 (the distortion is more apparent at lower volumes, tho it can be detected at higher volumes too, once you know what to look for)
    - Check FW version. Mine is still the 21 Dec FW atm. I am unaware if Onkyo may have fixed this in the following update, but it is not available for me yet in my region.
    - Compare the same track on the stock player (I think you had already done this, so just checking)
    - What you should be hearing (without distortion), is just the drum beats, and silence in between. There is however noticeable distortion during the silent parts of the track (for me at least)

2. Whitigir
    Sony Zx2, with androids and so far 3rd party app friendly :D

3. georgelai57

4. Whitigir
    Ouch ! Luckily I am pretty careful with it :D. Thanks for the clarification

5. TheOneInYellow

It's 00:30 UK GMT, and I have to be up early tomorrow for work.

I've stopped using my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's due to pain in, first left, then a short while later, right ear canals.
    However, I will try out a test.

Just some observations that might explain another set of factors that could cause your issue:

• The IEM itself. Only few, rare IEM's are designed to be driven hard. If memory serves me right, before Dr Moulton left Heir Audio to create Noble Audio, he created a line of Heir Audio IEM's that were supposed to be driven with powerful amps.
      What IEM are you using, and if you can, could you post the impedance?
      If there is a mismatch between what the Onkyo DP-X1 can output against your IEM then distortion is highly likely to occur (or worse, damage the IEM). That leads to my next observation,

• Are the actual armature (or dynamic, or both, depending on the IEM) damaged? Or an artifact lodged in one or both earpieces?
      Incorrect volume, impedance matching, etc, can distort the delicate driver(s)...

• YouTube video's have poor compression, especially at very low and very high frequencies. If you can get a non-DSP music player, play a song on that, then again in the official Onkyo DP-X1 Music app,

• Possible memory card(s) having bad error blocks (unlikely, but worth considering if YouTube app is installed on a MicroSD card)

6. TheOneInYellow
    Goodnight everyone! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

7. McCol

Your issue with brightness. Have you gone into display settings and turned off adaptive display setting?

davidmolliere likes this.
  8. Zenifyx

Another non-DSP player - tried Play Music, same distortion.
    Potential SD card/IEM issue - if there were an issue with those, then stock player would produce distortion too, however nope.
    I did try the track on both my 64gb card and 200gb card tho.
    Distortion is audible (but not as apparent) on my AKG K7xx too.

9. Whitigir
    Now I see why Zx2 has not been upgraded for a while....lol...I think Sony is saying that why do we need to upgrade anything ? Everything works the way it is supposed to be :D. Well, even Power-amp Alpha in testing version is working out pretty nicely with Zx2...Gonemad....Onkyo Hf app....jet audio....lol

10. kdub

Where does one get DSD files? New to this but definitely want to explore and experience the difference.

11. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Do more research before you get too excited. There is no consensus anywhere that DSD does make a difference. Take your time and find as many sources on the subject as you can before you go rushing out to buy DSD files and gear.

12. Luvdac
    That's enlightening. So if I connect an external dsd capable dac via otg then the dac should receive the pure dsd stream?

13. ReizeiMako
    Almost evert DAPs in the market support folder browsing, but not DP-X1 :/

14. h8dk97
    On the topic of headphone matching, I've tried H6 yesterday and it sounded wonderful, the right amount of bass, clear mids and highs. I've auditioned them before with my sony tablet and they sounded dull and lifeless, but paired with dpx1 they really came alive. Also tried Momentum 2's, I remember I liked them the previous time but now compared to H6 they sounded a little boomy. My only complaint with H6 is I would prefer slightly bigger ear caps, they very soft and comfortable but they a little small for me.

15. Sonic Defender Contributor
    So based on your experience with the DP-X1 so far, despite it lacking folder browsing do you feel the sound quality makes up for this?

First

Back
230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239
241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250
Next

Last