ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,341 of 16,326
I am in such a conundrum right now. 

My original plan was to go for a Chord Mojo. Source will be my IP6. 

Bulk of my listening will be done via tidal / spotify. 

I'm tempted to go the way of the DPX1 instead and streamline. 

IEMs will be JH Angies + AAW W500. 

decisions, decisions. 

I had Hugo + iP6 running Tidal and it was great, so I'm sure mojo + iP will be great.
On the other hand, constantly connecting and disconnecting iP, running the battery down, and carrying a stack is sometimes a pain. So I got the Onkyo for streamlining and it sounds good on its own, and obviously is a really good transport in a stack.

So I'm afraid the answer is indeed "get both" :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,342 of 16,326
I had Hugo + iP6 running Tidal and it was great, so I'm sure mojo + iP will be great.
On the other hand, constantly connecting and disconnecting iP, running the battery down, and carrying a stack is sometimes a pain. So I got the Onkyo for streamlining and it sounds good on its own, and obviously is a really good transport in a stack.

So I'm afraid the answer is indeed "get both" :)

I agree. In my opinion Onkyo is all-in-one DAP. It is very flexible and offer many way to use it.

Mojo is pretty darn good DAC/Amp, but because it is a DAC/Amp, not DAP, so it can't play music alone. Less convenience for portable I think.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #2,345 of 16,326
I agree. In my opinion Onkyo is all-in-one DAP. It is very flexible and offer many way to use it.

Mojo is pretty darn good DAC/Amp, but because it is a DAC/Amp, not DAP, so it can't play music alone. Less convenience for portable I think.

I've been glaring at my Mojo and just-arrived AK100ii stack but it hasn't put a dent in my lust for these DAPs.  Aptx, two SD slots, the guts to manage a massive library, and what looks like competent software to take advantage of the huge screen.  Damn it, Japan.  Terrible, terrible timing.

Pioneer to leave a possible reason to keep the AK100ii and/or Mojo for balanced use, or Onkyo to streamline this madness before I've even gotten used to the AK100ii and the Mojo?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,346 of 16,326
This was probably asked and answered before but please tell me if and how would it be possible to plug in a 3.5 mm trs jack into the onkyo"s balanced out trrs? Can an adapter be used and if so where can I get one?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,347 of 16,326
This was probably asked and answered before but please tell me if and how would it be possible to plug in a 3.5 mm trs jack into the onkyo"s balanced out trrs? Can an adapter be used and if so where can I get one?

No, you cannot.

You can plug balanced headphone on SE output through a converter. Not the opposite.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,348 of 16,326

I remember the old man Rudi saying that it beats 240 and losses a bit to 240ss (I don't know the difference), the guy got **** tons of high end gear and someone who is pretty much the "Yoda" of my audiophile community.

Hi Orky

Let Me explained Here directly

Onkyo DPX1
As standalone DAP is excellent , definetly better than
My AK 100 II
Fiio X 7 Cayin N5

Compare to AK 240 as DAP :
Balance version SQ is about The same level with Note

Note :
If you hear longer Time , than you Will hear AK 240 High has better rendering

Onkyo has better In Bass region , has better bass impact

As Source :

Use their Line out : pair With Mass KoBo 404 full balance Amp

AK 240 is The Winner , has better focus and clarity and Fuller sound .like solid state Amp.

Onkyo sound is to The sweet and analog sound like Tube amp or Hybrid Amp

To AK 240 SS as Dap and source Onkyo lost
This is unfair comparison

To Be Fair if i compare Onkyo DP X1 to
Fiio X7
Easter
LS 5 Pro
cayin C 5 and C 6

Note
The Best Synergy if i pair My Onkyo DP 1x With Chord Mojo like George Lei Said .

From Yoda The Old Man

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,349 of 16,326
i had the mojo briefly and didnt like it with my smartphone. Made all the songs i was familiar with sound like they were remastered

That's a good description of the Chord sound - and to many (me included), that's a plus!

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,350 of 16,326
i am so curious to read the impressions of joshuachew as he has everything ak320, onkyo, ak , sony

i am so eager to read his impressions asap

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,351 of 16,326
My DP-X1 on the way.
No balanced headphones to enjoy the twin DAC balanced-out.
But a pair of DUNU DN-2000J earphones on the way too.
It has a 4-core cable (two separate GNDs) that terminates in 3.5mm TRS.
Now, is it worth re-termintating the brand new earphones cable into 2.5mm TRRS?
Gentlemen?

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,352 of 16,326
My DP-X1 on the way.
No balanced headphones to enjoy the twin DAC balanced-out.
But a pair of DUNU DN-2000J earphones on the way too.
It has a 4-core cable (two separate GNDs) that terminates in 3.5mm TRS.
Now, is it worth re-termintating the brand new earphones cable into 2.5mm TRRS?
Gentlemen?

I reterminate my brand-new Fostex th-900 into removable cables with balanced TRRS. If it is worth it to you, then why ask others :D

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,355 of 16,326
  Give the reference. I see only female 3.5mm TRRS to AK 2.5mm 4 poles males.
Luvdac ask for 3.5mm TRS to TRRS, what is not sutable (according to a previous post).

Onkyo balance output is 2.5 :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back