ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 22, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #2,311 of 16,326
Does changing the default launcher to Google Now or Nova Prime affect the sound quality or functionality in any way?

They won't affect sound quality, that's solely dependent on the Onkyo app and if you use a 2.5 mm balanced plug for your headphones. Nova Prime might affect memory and battery performance since it uses more CPU and memory. Google Now might also affect performance since it performs background tasks based on how much you use Google's services.

I use Google Now Launcher because it's nicer looking and it's not taxing my DP-X1 much.

What are people's thoughts on the upsampling quality on dpx1?

I can't tell the difference, but I leave it on anyway just for kicks. It might sound better if your headphone has a cable with a balanced plug, but then again, that's probably the increased power output from balanced mode and not from upsampling. I'll find out when I'm able to order a new set of headphone cables with a balanced plug.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #2,312 of 16,326
Local audiophile store happens to be carrying official Fitear balance cable so picked it up yesterday, spend yesterday and today listening using balance only.
The MH335DW driven in normal balance mode is almost too overwhelming with the low end, much better control in ACG mode and low gain setting and needing about 70 notches in volume.  I like to turn on DSP and apply the slow filter which smooths out the edge of the sound a bit as well.

Apologies if this has been asked before but, is it possible to use balanced mode and/or ACG mode on any third-party music player and streaming music apps, or is it just the default Onkyo app? I don't have a cable with a balanced plug for my headphones yet.

(Sidenote: I've searched this thread for "balanced" and "spotify" and all I see are each individual post because the thread has "balanced" in the title. lol)

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,313 of 16,326
A lot of people are starting to get their hands on the DPX1. Can anyone please confirm to me if they have Poweramp successfully activated and working on the X1? I read about some distortions with third party players.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #2,314 of 16,326

Hi guys!!

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #2,315 of 16,326
According to some Jap users, very serious background noise can be heard if using third-party audio player,.....the build-in player has no such problem at all...So it seems those third party softwares cannot access the Onkyo's DAC for the decoding process

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,316 of 16,326
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,317 of 16,326
  i saw u got the ak320 as well please please compare both on sound quality, as i do not care much about ui

This happened today... :p

ended up with....

I have not slept in a day... I will be back with answers tomorrow morning. If anyone has questions, I'll try to compile them and answer them at one shot. Thanks guys, and sorry, i cant get back to you now. Jet lag is too real. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,318 of 16,326
  This happened today... :p

ended up with....

I have not slept in a day... I will be back with answers tomorrow morning. If anyone has questions, I'll try to compile them and answer them at one shot. Thanks guys, and sorry, i cant get back to you now. Jet lag is too real. 

ok man you are so lucky, how i wish to read your review comparing all those daps

please i can you to tell me which just on sound quality is more enjoyable, and I listen to to edm, synth, metal , rock

to me i would like to know which has more richness, layering, and bass, warmth and the whole sound signature in general, I am not a fan of sterile sound sigs that are very flat or neutral, I love musical sound signatures more than flat and neutral

I will be using the dap single ended and balanced with iems such as shure 846 and sony z5

but really i need to make my mind which has the better sound quality and if you really can help me more in testing the eq in both

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #2,319 of 16,326
A lot of people are starting to get their hands on the DPX1. Can anyone please confirm to me if they have Poweramp successfully activated and working on the X1? I read about some distortions with third party players.

I use Tidal mostly and it's not particularly noisy. Now that you mention it, I've noticed the odd unwanted distortion in a couple of frequencies but only with certain albums - and the same was true of Tidal on iP6. Generally it's a pretty flawless listening experience.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,320 of 16,326
I use Tidal mostly and it's not particularly noisy. Now that you mention it, I've noticed the odd unwanted distortion in a couple of frequencies but only with certain albums - and the same was true of Tidal on iP6. Generally it's a pretty flawless listening experience.

are you using the bal. out ?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,321 of 16,326
ok man you are so lucky, how i wish to read your review comparing all those daps

please i can you to tell me which just on sound quality is more enjoyable, and I listen to to edm, synth, metal , rock

to me i would like to know which has more richness, layering, and bass, warmth and the whole sound signature in general, I am not a fan of sterile sound sigs that are very flat or neutral, I love musical sound signatures more than flat and neutral

I will be using the dap single ended and balanced with iems such as shure 846 and sony z5

but really i need to make my mind which has the better sound quality and if you really can help me more in testing the eq in both

I have to say that for single ended and balanced the things we recommend will be vastly different.
Balanced bang for buck will be the onkyo. Out of balanced it is really unlike what u hear from the se. But if u wan something that fits ur sound pref and music genre the zx2 is really gd for what it does.
I personally tried alot of daps except ak320. U have to decide for urself if u will be using se or balanced more often. If u do use se more often or just have more iems with se, the pioneer is cheaper with the same components minus balanced 2.5 capability.
If u are able to acquire the msak120, it is another option. Minus battery life u get form factor.

With onkyo balanced u need not consider ak players.
Probably qp1r is what u are looking for, it can power cans, is musical and resolving only thing is his on sensitive iems maybe the se846 won't pair well.
The onkyo has a very silent background.

Wish u all the best for ur dap hunt. Been seeing u around for awhile.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #2,322 of 16,326
I have to say that for single ended and balanced the things we recommend will be vastly different.
Balanced bang for buck will be the onkyo. Out of balanced it is really unlike what u hear from the se. But if u wan something that fits ur sound pref and music genre the zx2 is really gd for what it does.
I personally tried alot of daps except ak320. U have to decide for urself if u will be using se or balanced more often. If u do use se more often or just have more iems with se, the pioneer is cheaper with the same components minus balanced 2.5 capability.
If u are able to acquire the msak120, it is another option. Minus battery life u get form factor.

With onkyo balanced u need not consider ak players.
Probably qp1r is what u are looking for, it can power cans, is musical and resolving only thing is his on sensitive iems maybe the se846 won't pair well.
The onkyo has a very silent background.

Wish u all the best for ur dap hunt. Been seeing u around for awhile.

i have ak100ii and mojo and got the lgv10

now i honestly prefer balanced 

of course mojo and android is far the best i can hear although its not balanced but what i am hearing beats the ak100ii

now i want an upgrade to the ak100ii to be used on the go without stacking, so balanced is important to me and one thing that is really important to me is the EQ as I am an eq junkie :)

so I really like the ak320 as it has 20 parametric eqs, and that by itself is a huge plus but again onkyo is an android dap and you can install neutron and there you have 20 parametric eq as well

its so confusing what is better, i really wish i can try things were i live to make a decision but that is not a possibility 

so i need to gather so much feedback from guys like you to make my decision

I purchased the mojo based on feedback on this site and I absolutely love it

I hope to get the same feedback and comparisons between onkyo and ak320 specifically to make my purchase

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #2,323 of 16,326

of course mojo and android is far the best i can hear although its not balanced but what i am hearing beats the ak100ii

now i want an upgrade to the ak100ii to be used on the go without stacking, so balanced is important to me and one thing that is really important to me is the EQ as I am an eq junkie :)

so I really like the ak320 as it has 20 parametric eqs, and that by itself is a huge plus but again onkyo is an android dap and you can install neutron and there you have 20 parametric eq as well

its so confusing what is better, i really wish i can try things were i live to make a decision but that is not a possibility 

I hope to get the same feedback and comparisons between onkyo and ak320 specifically to make my purchase

Well ak380 is how much ? 3800 ? Vs 700 ? I am sure every components in ak380 are 3 folds better in quality :D. Could you hear it and observe it ? Depends on who you ask. Anyways, I agreed about the balanced vs standard...but it is a bit ridiculous to compare ak380 vs dpx1 ?

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,324 of 16,326
Well ak380 is how much ? 3800 ? Vs 700 ? I am sure every components in ak380 are 3 folds better in quality :D. Could you hear it and observe it ? Depends on who you ask. Anyways, I agreed about the balanced vs standard...but it is a bit ridiculous to compare ak380 vs dpx1 ?

AK320 is lower version of AK380. It cost around 1,880 USD

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #2,325 of 16,326

If u get the onkyo u wouldn't wan to install other players as they do not use the onboard implementation as well as the stock player which it was designed for. All players will experience a decrease in SQ one way or another, be it "hiss", "higher noise floor", "volume control not properly utilized" etc. 

I'm currently using balanced with the stock player and it is gd enough for me. Instead of folder browsing, im learning to use artist browse and make "playlists" on the fly adding various songs and stuff that i wanna hear along the way. It is not as convenient as folder browsing which i am accustomed to.

Both have parametric EQ but tbh without EQ the onkyo is really a beast out of balanced and i honestly have not yet met a person that says they nid EQ the onkyo DAP.

I will try to make time to audition the AK320 for u and get back to u. But the current setup cost me exactly 1000 with the adaptor from 3.5 hifiman bal to 2.5 ak bal. It suits my needs and sound sig perfectly and I do not see myself looking for another IEM/CIEM anytime soon. It has everything that i was looking for in terms of sound sig. 

It is all IMO and YMMV. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back