ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #10,531 of 16,326
Just received my DP-X1. Best DAP that I've owned. Been using it for about 1wk now. Really impressed. About the hiss. Could it be those users are using headphones that are less than 16ohms? I have heard if using low impedance headphones will cause noticeable hiss. Mine are 16ohms and dead silent.. :D

I was thinking that might be a reason, however listening to the stock player the background is as quiet as a lion about to pounce on its prey....so why should the streaming apps sound different? And I gotta say headphone jacks breaking is more major than minor.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #10,532 of 16,326
  I returned my Onkyo DP-X1 yesterday because of its defects. 1. Too much noise when any sort of wireless radio is on (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth), 2. Touchscreen malfunctioning (keep registering a single tap when dragging), 3. Started noticing its 3.5mm jack moving when I plug in and out the headphones, 4. Didn't have enough power to drive my portable headphones (Audeze Sine). It's on its way back to Japan. Let the search for new DAP begin again (not thrilled)...

Wow, you really did get a bummer unit, which sadly can and does happen. I wouldn't be thrilled either. Yes in SE I would think the Sine somewhat tough to drive and certainly the Sine thread seems to suggest that is the case. I take it like I do, you like louder playback volume. The Cayin i5 seems to hold some promise, have you read up on it yet?

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #10,534 of 16,326
  Wow, you really did get a bummer unit, which sadly can and does happen. I wouldn't be thrilled either. Yes in SE I would think the Sine somewhat tough to drive and certainly the Sine thread seems to suggest that is the case. I take it like I do, you like louder playback volume. The Cayin i5 seems to hold some promise, have you read up on it yet?

Yeah, it was quite a bummer. It was hard enough to decide on Onkyo to begin with, and I need to search for a new one now. Yeah, I agree. I was actually in the process of ordering a balanced cable for it but had to cancel because of other defects. I'm not sure if I like it very loud xD I was putting it at around 130 (which is admittedly pretty loud). Yeah, I stumbled upon the Cayin i5 as well. But it only has one microSD card slot. I'd like two if possible. I was thinking of just using my Note 4 as the source and use a DAC/amp combo like Oppo HA-2 or CEntrance DACport HD instead. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #10,536 of 16,326
  Yeah, it was quite a bummer. It was hard enough to decide on Onkyo to begin with, and I need to search for a new one now. Yeah, I agree. I was actually in the process of ordering a balanced cable for it but had to cancel because of other defects. I'm not sure if I like it very loud xD I was putting it at around 130 (which is admittedly pretty loud). Yeah, I stumbled upon the Cayin i5 as well. But it only has one microSD card slot. I'd like two if possible. I was thinking of just using my Note 4 as the source and use a DAC/amp combo like Oppo HA-2 or CEntrance DACport HD instead. 

if you are thinking a Dac/Amp combo then Chord Mojo is one of the better choices ,thanks
https://www.amazon.com/CHORD-Electronics-ultimate-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B016W1X94O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469577298&sr=1-1&keywords=chord+mojo

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #10,537 of 16,326
Has anyone been using Plex for music streaming on your local network, and how do you find the sound quality?

I believe Plex leverages the stock media players on devices, so does that mean it's using Onkyo software for music playback or the stock Android media player?

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #10,538 of 16,326
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10,539 of 16,326
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #10,540 of 16,326

If you go for a combo, Mojo is your best bet

You don't even need a balanced cable

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #10,541 of 16,326

I'm sure the Note 4 with externals would work nicely, just be a stack and have cables which I always hate, but sometimes you have no choice. Despite the fact that there are some issues and outright bad DP-X1 units floating about, I think quite a few owners if not the majority have not had any major issues. As I said, when you follow DAP threads you invariably read about quite a few issues so with that in mind I think the issues we read about with the DP-X1 are pretty par for the course. That is I'm sure cold comfort for you having certainly received a faulty unit. Good luck with whatever route you go and post in this thread again as I would be curious what you ended up doing and how it went.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #10,542 of 16,326
I think only the unstable jacks are definite defects

The hissing and Wifi/BT issue vary from different phones (sensitivity) and routers (band)

Judging from the fact that the direct competitor Fiio X7 has even more issue from larger group of users(Wifi, UI, firmware related..)

X-1 cannot be considered as a buggy unit (the newer HK/EU batch)

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #10,543 of 16,326
  anyway you may look into AudioQuest - DragonFly Black v1.5 - Black,sorry it was $75.00 couple of days ago now both in bestbuy and amazon $100
 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-dragonfly-black-v1-5-black/5312905.p?id=bb5312905&skuId=5312905

I live in Canada anyways (tax, tax, tax, tax...) xD I did look into DFB and heard a lot of great things about it. But it not supporting 24/192 and up PCM's and DSD files is kind of a bummer. I feel bad because I keep shooting down your suggestions. Thank you. I really do appreciate.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #10,544 of 16,326
  I'm sure the Note 4 with externals would work nicely, just be a stack and have cables which I always hate, but sometimes you have no choice. Despite the fact that there are some issues and outright bad DP-X1 units floating about, I think quite a few owners if not the majority have not had any major issues. As I said, when you follow DAP threads you invariably read about quite a few issues so with that in mind I think the issues we read about with the DP-X1 are pretty par for the course. That is I'm sure cold comfort for you having certainly received a faulty unit. Good luck with whatever route you go and post in this thread again as I would be curious what you ended up doing and how it went.

Yeah, I hate stacking too, but I guess unless I buy another DAP and experiment, I can't really think of a solution that's viable for now. Mhmm, I didn't mean to sound like DP-X1 as a whole is a bad DAP. I think it was just my unit that was faulty. Like you said, every DAP has their strengths, weaknesses and issues associated. Thank you for wishing me luck. I'll post an update once I figure things out.

I think only the unstable jacks are definite defects

The hissing and Wifi/BT issue vary from different phones (sensitivity) and routers (band)

Judging from the fact that the direct competitor Fiio X7 has even more issue from larger group of users(Wifi, UI, firmware related..)

X-1 cannot be considered as a buggy unit (the newer HK/EU batch)

I agree as well. The unstable jacks are inherent from how it was initially designed. 

The hissing, hmm, I think everyone will hear it on some levels depending on what headphones they use (like you said). I tried it with four different iem's of different impedance and sensitivity and three different headphones with again different impedance and sensitivity, and I could hear it when downloading and playing on stock player or streaming via Spotify/Tidal. I highly doubt that routers will make any difference since I tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Yeah, that's true. I heard about Fiio X7 and its problems. I start to think that Android-based DAPs haven't matured yet and have some problems to begin with.

Mhmm, I didn't mean to sound like DP-X1 as a whole is a bad DAP. It's a great one as far as I can tell from other's experiences. I did ask the seller from Japan if it was the newest batch and they said it was, so who knows.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #10,545 of 16,326
Yeah, I hate stacking too, but I guess unless I buy another DAP and experiment, I can't really think of a solution that's viable for now. Mhmm, I didn't mean to sound like DP-X1 as a whole is a bad DAP. I think it was just my unit that was faulty. Like you said, every DAP has their strengths, weaknesses and issues associated. Thank you for wishing me luck. I'll post an update once I figure things out.

I agree as well. The unstable jacks are inherent from how it was initially designed. 

The hissing, hmm, I think everyone will hear it on some levels depending on what headphones they use (like you said). I tried it with four different iem's of different impedance and sensitivity and three different headphones with again different impedance and sensitivity, and I could hear it when downloading and playing on stock player or streaming via Spotify/Tidal. I highly doubt that routers will make any difference since I tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

Yeah, that's true. I heard about Fiio X7 and its problems. I start to think that Android-based DAPs haven't matured yet and have some problems to begin with.

Mhmm, I didn't mean to sound like DP-X1 as a whole is a bad DAP. It's a great one as far as I can tell from other's experiences. I did ask the seller from Japan if it was the newest batch and they said it was, so who knows.

Have you considered trying it again and this time buying it from Onkyo? I bought mine from onkyo and have no issues, the 2.5mm was a bit loose when I bought it(which is unacceptable for such an expensive DAP) but I used Epoxy and all is good. I did pay more than most for it but I feel better buying it directly from Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back